First Year Students Fall 2014 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

Keep calm and read on.

I should have that posted in front of my desk with the sheer volume I did this weekend for one class. Now still have second class readings to do. Sometimes I have that nagging feeling I am not as competent as my classmates but I've decided to keep at it and do my best.

Also waiting for my agenda to arrive. Yes I know I know :-). Right now I am using an agenda but it doesn't have monthly schedule along with weekly schedule which I like to have. Feels like assignment are due just around the corner.

I've also decided to try a new physical activity. I made lots of progress this summer and I don't want to lose that momentum. Besides I need an outlet (apart from you wonderful gradcafe peeps ;-) ) when my classes will drive me mad.

Hi folks, so I'm about to finish my 4th week of classes (4th wk for 1 class, 3rd wk for another and 2nd wk for my last class) and I just survived my most difficult weekend ever.  Being that I'm in the humanities, my classes are reading and writing intensive.  So with the inclusion of my 3rd class in my academic schedule, I got thrown for a loop.  Also I had an academic conference to attend and my research assistantship which is 20 hours a week started.  On top of that, my cohort had dinner at a professor's house.  And I actually had a social life this weekend.  So I've been super tired but also super impressed that I accomplished everything on my schedule and participated in all of my class discussions. BUT THIS WEEK I REALIZED I WAS IN GRAD SCHOOL!

I don't officially start for another couple of weeks but I already know of reading due BY the first class - who knew? One is supposed to be an "easy read" but I need to get over trying to grasp all the details in it. The second is definitely an easy read so far. Not in a hurry for things to get harder (I've been out of school for years and don't consider myself the most efficient reader OR writer - to be honest)

Being close to campus already, I took a workshop on strategic reading. It helped me realize consciously that I don't need to have a perfect grasp of all the little details. Still figuring out what works best for me, though. The workshop introduced me to text mapping. Need to learn how to balance the amount of effort I put into my readings, and get over perfectionism.

A little anxious about my Qualitative class. Hoping the official syllabi for my 3 classes come out soon, the structure would help me plan...

Hi folks, so I'm about to finish my 4th week of classes (4th wk for 1 class, 3rd wk for another and 2nd wk for my last class) and I just survived my most difficult weekend ever.  Being that I'm in the humanities, my classes are reading and writing intensive.  So with the inclusion of my 3rd class in my academic schedule, I got thrown for a loop.  Also I had an academic conference to attend and my research assistantship which is 20 hours a week started.  On top of that, my cohort had dinner at a professor's house.  And I actually had a social life this weekend.  So I've been super tired but also super impressed that I accomplished everything on my schedule and participated in all of my class discussions. BUT THIS WEEK I REALIZED I WAS IN GRAD SCHOOL!

Sounds like you have a lot going on but that you handling it all well.  At times my own realization that I am in grad school seems surreal.  Creating a schedule has been very helpful for me to manage the endless reading and preparing for the barrage of papers that I have to write.  Beginning 9/22 I have a  2-10 paper due every week until the end of the semester 12/8.  How I am remaining calm I don't know.  

I don't officially start for another couple of weeks but I already know of reading due BY the first class - who knew? One is supposed to be an "easy read" but I need to get over trying to grasp all the details in it. The second is definitely an easy read so far. Not in a hurry for things to get harder (I've been out of school for years and don't consider myself the most efficient reader OR writer - to be honest)

Being close to campus already, I took a workshop on strategic reading. It helped me realize consciously that I don't need to have a perfect grasp of all the little details. Still figuring out what works best for me, though. The workshop introduced me to text mapping. Need to learn how to balance the amount of effort I put into my readings, and get over perfectionism.

A little anxious about my Qualitative class. Hoping the official syllabi for my 3 classes come out soon, the structure would help me plan...

I can so relate.  This is my first semester in grad school after a 13 year hiatus.  I am still looking for a better way to read all the required reading and take notes on it.  Sounds like the class you took was helpful.  I may need to do some research on those concepts and try to incorporate them.  

For anyone with an iPhone, I highly recommend the Pomodoro app. It keeps a timer so you work for 25 minutes and rest for 5 minutes in between. It also schedules in longer 15 minute breaks after a series of 4 pomodoros (or 2 hours). You can put how many you want to finish in a day and it helps you visualize how much more time you actually need to work.

It has been helping me keep up with reading and without getting too tired from a long stretch of work.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

Today I got my first grad written assignment (a 1000-word book review) back from the prof, and he said that he liked my "independent and intelligent approach to an difficult comparison" and that I do "an excellent job avoiding simplification and producing a clear message"!!!! So relieved and happy ;) Good luck to everybody else there writing their first "grown-up" work and hoping it passes!

Today I got my first grad written assignment (a 1000-word book review) back from the prof, and he said that he liked my "independent and intelligent approach to an difficult comparison" and that I do "an excellent job avoiding simplification and producing a clear message"!!!! So relieved and happy ;) Good luck to everybody else there writing their first "grown-up" work and hoping it passes!

That's very encouraging.  Congratulations on your first written assignment being a positive one.  

As I'm approaching the end of my fourth week -- third if you discount the week that was all into stuff -- things are finally starting to fall into place. I have a work schedule down; that is I tend to tackle the same classwork on the same days of the week. I met with the professor for my foundations seminar about my paper topic and she said it would be a good dissertation topic as well ( :wacko: ) but she is my probable advisor so I'll take it! I've had two of my colleagues ask for me to peer review their proposals so at least I know they think of me highly?

But most of all I'm really enjoying my TA assignment. I get along really well with my supervising professor who provides great feedback and I'm starting to take a more active role in the classroom now. Luckily for me I am assigned to this professor next semester as well. Our research interests do not align at all but it will be nice to have someone who is sort of removed from that aspect of my experience to talk to and get advice from.

I've made it through almost 4 weeks now and we have our first round of exams next week. Everything feels like it is falling into place, including my broken ankle/leg, so I'm definitely feeling good. It is definitely a little strange because they decided this year to have all members of the cohort have the same single academic advisor but that we get to pick our own professional advisor from the faculty. I've spoken with a few faculty members about their research but I'm not sure who I really like. It is a nice way but I wish we had more faculty and student gatherings were we could all mingle. There is almost an equal number of faculty to students in the cohort, about 25 and 25, so it is nice they are giving us some say, but it would also be nice to have more opportunities to meet all the faculty.

I'm four weeks in...and I'm super sick. I have a raging cold. I have a couple things to work on too. I have a paper I need to finish up on (so glad I finally got started on it). Then I kind of want to work on another paper that's not necessarily due on Monday, but I would like to do it. Project topic proposal. And I have some TA stuff to finish up. Overall...not a ton but it feels kind of like a lot when I can't even breathe through my nose. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow and can get some writing in!

My professors seem to like my enthusiasm for the topics I'm interested in. It's very encouraging.

Overall the semester has been going well! A member of my cohort even brought me some beer she brewed at home! :D 

So, I haven't been on these forums since grad school started due to some health issues (concussion - brain injury). I was getting headaches every day that I had class, feeling dizzy, having problems with balance, and with memory and concentration.  Even on the days I didn't have class I was getting headaches due to all the reading I had to do (boy, is there ever a LOT of reading in grad school). So, after going to the concussion clinic at my university, I was advised that it would be best to drop down to part-time status.  We are hoping that a reduced course load, coupled with physiotherapy, will allow my symptoms to subside, and healing to continue.

The good news is that I'll save some money on tuition.  The bad news is that I'll likely lose my scholarships and it will take me 8 months or so longer to finish my program.  As I'm an older student already, that means hitting the workforce at an even older age, but my long term health (especially as we are dealing with the brain) is far more important than finishing "on time" and getting out there and working.  Fortunately my husband is incredibly supportive, as is my program, the program director, and my class mates.

So, I haven't been on these forums since grad school started due to some health issues (concussion - brain injury). I was getting headaches every day that I had class, feeling dizzy, having problems with balance, and with memory and concentration. Even on the days I didn't have class I was getting headaches due to all the reading I had to do (boy, is there ever a LOT of reading in grad school). So, after going to the concussion clinic at my university, I was advised that it would be best to drop down to part-time status. We are hoping that a reduced course load, coupled with physiotherapy, will allow my symptoms to subside, and healing to continue.

The good news is that I'll save some money on tuition. The bad news is that I'll likely lose my scholarships and it will take me 8 months or so longer to finish my program. As I'm an older student already, that means hitting the workforce at an even older age, but my long term health (especially as we are dealing with the brain) is far more important than finishing "on time" and getting out there and working. Fortunately my husband is incredibly supportive, as is my program, the program director, and my class mates.

I had a nasty concussion in undergrad, so I feel for you. I think you definitely made a good decision- brain injury is a tricky thing. Best of luck on recovery and school!

I feel very lucky and extremely grateful that I got accepted on a full fellowship and with a great RA position in a lab that greatly interests me. I actually started working in the lab before school started, so I've been in the grad school mode since May and a lot of great stuff happened since then. I am publishing my first paper with my PI, and am getting ready to start our next one. I dove deeply into my research and am a little tired already, so I am joining at least one club this next week to work a little bit on my social life. 

I am also taking classes and had my first exam in one of them this past week. One of my classes is overwhelmingly hard and I am freaking out about it. My quals are in less than a year from now, so yeah, I am doing well but definitely super busy in grad school...

So far I've been rather surprised with my workload? They cautioned against taking any electives in first year, as the core courses would be very demanding. So far it is pretty reading intensive, but other than that it is not particularly difficult. Obviously I am not complaining, I feel like in the next few weeks things will probably start to pick up. I'm TAing a first year intro course, so I know my students are going to start panicking at the beginning of October once their midterm is looming.

I have only really had one evaluation so far and it was a brief, informal presentation. I do enjoy the fact that there are few evaluations worth higher percentages. Although it is a bit scary not knowing where I stand.

I did have my first serious bout of homesickness last night/a little bit today. It is my first time living away from home, so I knew it would come at some point. My flights are already booked to go home for Christmas, so I just need to power through in the meantime

I had a nasty concussion in undergrad, so I feel for you. I think you definitely made a good decision- brain injury is a tricky thing. Best of luck on recovery and school!

Thanks!  It's definitely challenging pacing myself - I want to get all my readings and all my work done.  But I know I need to take breaks, and that I'm not being lazy by doing so - I'm being smart!

So I basically had my first grad school breakdown tonight. I have my first major paper and practical exam this week, and I suddenly got super overwhelmed and felt like I couldn't breathe for a second haha. It probably doesn't help that I've been in school for 4 weeks already, but our teachers have not been able to give us ONE piece of feedback for any of our assignments (despite their incessant apologies), so I have no idea if I'm doing anything right and many of our assignments build off previous ones. Maybe if I get some good feedback soon I'll feel better, but right now I'm just doubting myself and wondering how I can possibly get everything done in time. Being out of school for 2 years also makes this a little harder.. Ugh, someone please tell me it gets better  :unsure:

I feel like I've just settled in and started getting things done in the last week. I had to move right before the school year started and had to run a million little errands during the first week settling into the town and the campus, but now I have done all the logistical/lab fee type things and can focus more on producing my work. I'm in a small program and everyone I've met has been incredibly good-humored and nice, so I'm glad I haven't had to stress about any personality issues at all.

I feel pretty on top of things so far but I won't know where I stand exactly until I get feedback on the first test and assignments. I'm taking a couple of classes that the entire cohort is taking in addition to a couple of electives outside my department (they encouage us to do so). I just had a midterm in one class and felt pretty good about it, but I haven't gotten the grade yet. I have been doing well in assignments for the other class, but I feel like we are dealing with the easier material now. I'm bracing myself for several bigger deadlines coming up, but overall I feel pretty good.

I do hate that the first term coincides with flu season. I've already been sick this term, but thankfully it only lasted a week. I'm eating a lot of oranges and taking vitamins to try to ward off the inevitable - everyone in my larger class is coughing. Yikes!

So I basically had my first grad school breakdown tonight. I have my first major paper and practical exam this week, and I suddenly got super overwhelmed and felt like I couldn't breathe for a second haha. It probably doesn't help that I've been in school for 4 weeks already, but our teachers have not been able to give us ONE piece of feedback for any of our assignments (despite their incessant apologies), so I have no idea if I'm doing anything right and many of our assignments build off previous ones. Maybe if I get some good feedback soon I'll feel better, but right now I'm just doubting myself and wondering how I can possibly get everything done in time. Being out of school for 2 years also makes this a little harder.. Ugh, someone please tell me it gets better  :unsure:

Cyber hugs coming your way. I do understand your anxiety. I'm at that point as well. Writing papers and preparing for midterms. Hopefully soon you will get feedback and can base your changes on feedback.

So, I haven't been on these forums since grad school started due to some health issues (concussion - brain injury). I was getting headaches every day that I had class, feeling dizzy, having problems with balance, and with memory and concentration.  Even on the days I didn't have class I was getting headaches due to all the reading I had to do (boy, is there ever a LOT of reading in grad school). So, after going to the concussion clinic at my university, I was advised that it would be best to drop down to part-time status.  We are hoping that a reduced course load, coupled with physiotherapy, will allow my symptoms to subside, and healing to continue.

The good news is that I'll save some money on tuition.  The bad news is that I'll likely lose my scholarships and it will take me 8 months or so longer to finish my program.  As I'm an older student already, that means hitting the workforce at an even older age, but my long term health (especially as we are dealing with the brain) is far more important than finishing "on time" and getting out there and working.  Fortunately my husband is incredibly supportive, as is my program, the program director, and my class mates.

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear about this.  I am wishing you a speedy recovery.  But as you said, your health is most important and I'm glad your husband is there to help!

I survived my first two quizzes of the semester.

But on the flip side, someone called me judgemental today in class when I said I had trouble understanding parents who don't report their small children missing after they've been kidnapped. Umm... yeah.

Wow, you are all way ahead of me! We don't officially start until tomorrow. I had orientation, and there's a TA training tomorrow, but I can't go due to a scheduling conflict. Luckily I don't have to TA this year, so it isn't really an issue. All I've done so far is gather articles to read. I have a ton collected, and now I feel overwhelmed and the program hasn't even started! Currently working my way through a huge report that is only marginally related to what I want to do (hence gradcafe), but I have my first supervision meeting next week and he wants to know what I've read so we can discuss it. What do you think would be a reasonable amount to have read? I don't want to show up with a disappointing amount of work, but I honestly have no idea how much I'm expected to have done.