First Year Students Fall 2014 How's It Going

Threeboysmom

Had my first class today. Went well. Met some people in my program who are also in my second class which starts on Thursday. I have to give prof in my first class a two liner due next class on my paper for the semester and I have no clue what I'll be writing about. I'll just do my best. Good thing is no books to buy for this class.

Had my first class today. Went well. Met some people in my program who are also in my second class which starts on Thursday. I have to give prof in my first class a two liner due next class on my paper for the semester and I have no clue what I'll be writing about. I'll just do my best. Good thing is no books to buy for this class.

My research methods professor doesn't require any texts that we have to pay for and it is lovely -- the textbook we use is open access. On the other hand...my seminar professor (and probable advisor) recommended a bunch of books that we purchase even if it is just for a few chapter. I understand it is a chance to build our library but my bank account is dwindling...first paycheck next week though.

My research methods professor doesn't require any texts that we have to pay for and it is lovely -- the textbook we use is open access. On the other hand...my seminar professor (and probable advisor) recommended a bunch of books that we purchase even if it is just for a few chapter. I understand it is a chance to build our library but my bank account is dwindling...first paycheck next week though.

Why don't you d/l them instead? :P

Classes technically started last Wednesday but we only had our first (almost) full week this week. So far everything's going fine, lots of reading but I haven't had to turn in any assignment yet. I also got started in research and everyone seems helpful and encouraging. There are so many projects going on in the department that we've been warned to pace ourselves and not spread ourselves too thin :D Our cohort also seems to get along - hopefully that'll last!

Same for my methods class - there are books my professor recommends buying for future use once we decided on our methods but he uploaded all the reading materials for that class and my Kindle came very handy. Our theory class requires a book but I managed to borrow it from a 2nd year. I only needed to get a statistic book, but since we'll be using it for 2 classes and I probably want to keep it anyway I'd say it's worth it.

It's going pretty well!  I'm working on my first year project and on submitting a major grant.  Everyone in my cohort is great, as well.  The only thing I worry about is that I won't live up to my own expectations.  Weird sort of imposter syndrome, I guess.

about to hit the third week of classes. It seems manageable, although I am reading my eyes out! Out of my cohort of 15, 3 of us have bonded and are working in a group together so thats fun. The one thing that will take some getting used to is reading (a lot) and analytical thinking again. Since I took 3 years off in between this degree and undergrad, my brain doesn't think like it used to anymore! 

It's going pretty well!  I'm working on my first year project and on submitting a major grant.  Everyone in my cohort is great, as well.  The only thing I worry about is that I won't live up to my own expectations.  Weird sort of imposter syndrome, I guess.

Actually, I think that sense of not living up to my own expectations is rooted in the fact that I don't feel busy enough.  Some days I'm absolutely swamped, but other days I just end up reading the literature and wondering if there's more I ought to be doing.   :wacko:  Anyone else feel this way?  My first year project is well underway, and I know grad school is 50% lit review, but even so, I worry.

Actually, I think that sense of not living up to my own expectations is rooted in the fact that I don't feel busy enough.  Some days I'm absolutely swamped, but other days I just end up reading the literature and wondering if there's more I ought to be doing.   :wacko:  Anyone else feel this way?  My first year project is well underway, and I know grad school is 50% lit review, but even so, I worry.

I can't collect substantial data for another 1.5-2 years because of field work restrictions. I read all day every day. Other than that, I just work on my proposals and a literature review. I think you're fine if you're reading more some days than others. 

My foreign language class requires more steady work (online exercises, flashcards, etc) and it feels like I don't spend enough time on my graduate classes. One of which tends to have TONS of reading (average is 100 pages per class session) and that starts to feel overwhelming fast. I also feel like I'm not reading at the same depth as classmates are, but I have a sneaking suspicion that most of THEM feel the same. 

I also feel kind of sloppy, appearance-wise; I've had to wear a knee brace every day since mid-April, and hopefully I'll get the OK to keep it with me and wear it when I need it, but not when I don't, because that beast really limits my clothing choices. And, well, athletic shoes are best for my knee, but not for fashion.

Had classes tonight.   I feel like I'm dying a slow death.  I not sure why I feel this way exactly.  But I have this strange feeling like I'm going to be overwhelmed and not be able to handle it all. 

Things are going well so far! I'm entering my third week of classes and I am loving my program. My slp cohort and faculty are wonderful, my classes are interesting, and I just met my first clients today. I have a feeling that I am going to LOVE clinic this semester. I also decided to run for co-president of my nsslha chapter and I just bought my tickets for the ASHA convention in Florida this year. I am definitely busy, but I am not overwhelmed just yet. I've worked hard the past two weeks to work ahead in my coursework so I'm hoping that if I can just stay ahead of the game then all will be well. :-)

I have to remember to eat though. I'm finding that I get so bogged down working that I often don't make time to eat.

There are 3 dollars in my bank account. D;

Besides money wise, off to a great, but INCREDIBLY busy start. I'm content.

I'm so glad my pay period started back in August when we began orientation or I'd be in the same position.

I'm about two and a half weeks in and it seems like the class load, w/ research, and TA responsibilities will be tough/challenging, but manageable.  I'm sure that tune will change while I have to grade 140 research papers while trying to finish my own.

Things are going well so far! I'm entering my third week of classes and I am loving my program. My slp cohort and faculty are wonderful, my classes are interesting, and I just met my first clients today. I have a feeling that I am going to LOVE clinic this semester. I also decided to run for co-president of my nsslha chapter and I just bought my tickets for the ASHA convention in Florida this year. I am definitely busy, but I am not overwhelmed just yet. I've worked hard the past two weeks to work ahead in my coursework so I'm hoping that if I can just stay ahead of the game then all will be well. :-)

I have to remember to eat though. I'm finding that I get so bogged down working that I often don't make time to eat.

Good for you getting involved in an organization and going to a conference. I have decided to attend ACA conference 2015 to get a jump start on making connections etc. Wishing you the best, it sounds like you're off to a good start.

2nd week for me! I took 2 years off after undergrad and even though I've always been very academically focused, it's been VERY hard for me to get back into reading/studying. I've heard there's a lot of reading in grad school, but wooaaaah. I honestly already feel like every week of grad school is going to feel like finals week of undergrad haha. But otherwise things are great! There's a big age difference in my cohort, but I really like everyone and the professors seem very knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck to everyone else!

Sorry ecm07e, that is how I'm feelng about my first theory review.  Its not time to turn in but I have no idea how the paper should look according to APA style.   We aren't using any sources except our text and I'm lost if we should do a title page etc.  I'm waiting to hear back from my professor now for clarification.  Good luck hopefully its not as bad as you think.

It turns out that I don't enjoy teaching as much as I thought I would. Luckily for me, my goal isn't to be a professor. I'm hardcore research.

On the bright side, it's about a month in and I've already started pulling and analyzing data for my dissertation. :-D

Well, I've made it through 3 weeks without dying.  It's going well so far, can't really complain.  Very busy, but in a good way for sure.

This is where I am. Though sometimes I feel like I'm missing something....I think this is due to my advisor situation. I came into the program with a very distinct idea of who I want my advisor to be whereas others have been putting their feelers out trying to establish who they should be with. (I met with mine over the summer a couple of times.)

FInished week 2. Finally not feeling as fuzzy, and getting my witts about me again.  Have learned ALOT since day one.  Talk about a crash course in everything.  Not having too hard of a time keeping up at the moment.  I finally sat down and organized all of my notes, and put on a calendar all of my due dates for reading and assignments. 

Got my first grades back, and so far, so good.  *Fingers crossed that I can keep it up.*

FInished week 2. Finally not feeling as fuzzy, and getting my witts about me again. Have learned ALOT since day one. Talk about a crash course in everything. Not having too hard of a time keeping up at the moment. I finally sat down and organized all of my notes, and put on a calendar all of my due dates for reading and assignments.

Got my first grades back, and so far, so good. *Fingers crossed that I can keep it up.*

This is great news. Keep up the good work. Edited by Threeboysmom

FInished week 2. Finally not feeling as fuzzy, and getting my witts about me again.  Have learned ALOT since day one.  Talk about a crash course in everything.  Not having too hard of a time keeping up at the moment.  I finally sat down and organized all of my notes, and put on a calendar all of my due dates for reading and assignments. 

Got my first grades back, and so far, so good.  *Fingers crossed that I can keep it up.*

I'm impatiently waiting to get to that point. Tomorrow will be my second full week and I'm hoping to get a better grip on things so I can get my head above the water. Juggling seven classes is hard, especially when things (course names, topics, readings, etc) overlap a ton.

I'm trying to focus on the positives. I love my certificate program, I love my advisor, I really like my fieldwork advisor, and I'm *really* looking forward to starting fieldwork in January.

Keep calm and read on.