2015 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

InquilineKea

I can only say that I have yet to hear from UT-Austin.

I'm waiting for that moment more than anything else.

There's a bunch of us here, we could even create our own group lol.

Of the five schools I applied to, I have only seen one result from one, Arizona State.  I'm unsure if that admission result was a special case, if ASU all first offers were sent out yesterday, or if it depends on specialty/POI.  Staying optimistic, hopeful and anxious (but seriously freaking out)!

Corroborating what others have said--MIT has visit invites out and acceptances, too. It seems like those acceptances might just be early ones with more to come.

Also just received an "unofficial-official" note from POI at UC Santa Cruz, with formal notice to come in a few days.

Looks like UCSB is not in the cards for me, though, as it seems like others have heard back.

So that's Caltech and MIT off the table. Looks like I might be back here next year trying for round two  :(

That was just the first round admits for visiting weekend, and just EAPS (I don't know if you applied to one of the other subunits with separate admissions, like PAOC or the Joint Program). Admissions will still be offered to a number of applicants later as the first admits start to decline (historically, about 30-50% will choose someplace else).

I just got an email from my POI at UT Austin with an invite to the prospective student weekend (Feb. 21-24). Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Sorry about that.

Congratulations darkstar!. 

I'd lie if I said I'm not jealous asf right now.

I just got an email from my POI at UT Austin with an invite to the prospective student weekend (Feb. 21-24). Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Sorry about that.

nice, congrats!

I think that it is important to remember that the GRE tests high school level math and reading comprehension.

This is true. I personally believe most students can study and master this material, but the challenge (and indeed what is being tested, even if inadvertantly) is the ability to solve these specific problems rapidly and take shortcuts to eliminate unproductive avenues. In a phrase, test taking strategies.This may or may not be important in your graduate career, and may or may not reflect on your ability to generalize these skills to how you approach graduate coursework and research. I don't think that is the intent.

As GeoDude pointed out, the GRE is not a good means of differentiating between strong applicants, because most strong applicants will have high GRE scores. It doesn't reflect positively on someone that they did not spend the time to learn how to take this specific test and do well. But beyond the boundary conditions that admissions committees use, I don't  think a few questions either way can reflect negatively on an applicant either.

This is all generalizing of course, because there are strong students and researchers who are not favored to succeed at a 4 hour test, and the ability to do so doesn't reflect at all on the former for mental or physical reasons. Maintaining focus while jumping between dozens of questions on minute time-spans is not a natural recipe for success for most people--this sort of behavior in "multi-taskers" is associated with lower performance on tasks (search "multi-tasking poor performance" and read any of the first score of results). I personally found the GRE (and similar, long, high-stakes tests) to be very draining. The biggest issue for me was physical--I get low blood-sugar in this sort of stamina taxing scenario (seriously, my fingers and face go all tingly). Since food is banned in the test rooms there is not a whole lot I can do about that!

But moral of the story, if you aren't evidencing you can succeed a specific short-term task you can prepare for (the GRE) or on your time (GPA), it is much harder to make the case that you will succeed in grad school. Not impossible with great letters of rec and research experiences, just a lot harder.

Sorry about that.

Congrats!!!!!!

Got an invite to UT Austin.  Already heard from my POI I was invited out, but haven't heard that I'm accepted.  I'm a little nervous because I've heard with their first string they will sometimes accept them before the Students Weekend.  Anyone know if this is true for everyone at UT or if this is a professor-by-professor basis?

Got an invite to UT Austin.  Already heard from my POI I was invited out, but haven't heard that I'm accepted.  I'm a little nervous because I've heard with their first string they will sometimes accept them before the Students Weekend.  Anyone know if this is true for everyone at UT or if this is a professor-by-professor basis?

Who sends the invitations? the POI or the department? or both?

Everyone's getting invited, this just makes my paranoia that my POI forgot about me stronger.

Sorry about that.

Who's your POI there? Stockli?

Just got accepted to UCLA (Atmospheric/Oceanic Science), but I have heard nothing on funding or deadlines from the department. Anybody know about the timeline difference between the grad div and department? They seem awfully eager for me to file my SIR for not having given me some information!

Who sends the invitations? the POI or the department? or both?

Everyone's getting invited, this just makes my paranoia that my POI forgot about me stronger.

My POI told me I'd be invited out about a week ago and I just got the official invite from the department today.

Just got accepted to UCLA (Atmospheric/Oceanic Science), but I have heard nothing on funding or deadlines from the department. Anybody know about the timeline difference between the grad div and department? They seem awfully eager for me to file my SIR for not having given me some information!

Congratz. I'd shoot your  POI/Department head an email, I think its weird to hear from the graduate school before the department. I always got tentative offers from departments before I heard from the school (sometimes months later)

Congratz. I'd shoot your  POI/Department head an email, I think its weird to hear from the graduate school before the department. I always got tentative offers from departments before I heard from the school (sometimes months later)

Thanks man. I found it odd, too, especially because the grad div letter kept referring to my department letter in past-tense, like I had already received it. I'll email the department now. 

I'm guessing that there's multiple student visit weeks at UT ? If so then it's clear that they have a priority system when evaluating candidates. So those who choose not to attend will leave a spot open then they'll call on their next pick and so forth. Also, did any of you who were accepted actually get a response from your POI in your initial email? UT is the only school I applied to where my POI didn't make contact with me. That makes me a little nervous 

I'm guessing that there's multiple student visit weeks at UT ? If so then it's clear that they have a priority system when evaluating candidates. So those who choose not to attend will leave a spot open then they'll call on their next pick and so forth. Also, did any of you who were accepted actually get a response from your POI in your initial email? UT is the only school I applied to where my POI didn't make contact with me. That makes me a little nervous 

I got a response from my UT POI the next day. He was really nice and told me about his research, gave me a link that I couldn't find through the UT website, detailing his group and their research. 

But maybe it depends on the person you've emailed.