Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Anyone else applying to the 2-year York MSW?

Wondering how you chose to approach the written statement (500 words, unstructured with no specific questions!!) Did you write it like an essay, or break it down into subheadings?

Hey there, 

I'm also applying to York and the statement is driving me slightly mad haha :wacko:

I'm finding it so hard to say everything in those 500 words and York's instructions are so vague for everything.

Basically how I have the statement written as of now is in essay style, because I found headings wasted word count and I like to stick to it strictly ( bad past experiences with very specific professors ) lol.

How are you outlining the CV for York? UofT wants hours/month and I'm wondering if I should include that for York as well. 

Hey everyone,

I posted earlier on this topic, but I've actually decided not to apply for my MSW this year - as I was going through the applications I felt like I needed more time to get experience, to really understand the field, and to know what I wanted to get out of the degree.

That said ... it's very interesting that the topic of college diplomas has come up! I've honestly been going back and forth on if it would be a good idea to do an accelerated SSW diploma. Those who have done a diploma after their degree, would you recommend it? Why did you choose it? Is it worth it? I've heard that it's difficult to find full-time work in the social services field in the GTA with just your undergrad, is that really true and does the diploma help?

Since I'm not applying this year I definitely want to up my hours so I can apply to more programs, but since so many programs ask for 2 years of experience that would be difficult to accomplish on just volunteer hours (I only have a few hundred hours). Also, I know plenty of university grads who didn't find a job for months after graduating, so I thought this might be a better use of my time. I definitely want to do my masters but I want to be ready for it!

Hey 

In regards to the SSW I personally think it is a great idea/investment. I did not personally complete it, however I am now 6 months post-grad and struggling to find jobs in social services. Through my adventures in various volunteer positions since graduating I've met quite a few people who finished SSW diploma and 2 of them were supervisors or duty co-ordinators.

If I don't get in again this year I am going to look into college programs for next year because like I said I've run into people who have positions I would love to have with various college educations (also, they many of them are relatively young so it's not always b/c of their experience). I'm also looking into Child Youth Worker and Volunteer Management Certificate

Edited by b39

LP3 - Unfortunately Laurier doesn't allow monitoring online.  They will email you to let you know that your application is complete.  I submitted mine for the advanced standing on December 1 (cutting it close lol) and I received an email on  December 11 saying my application was received and is complete.  Now all we can do is wait until February.  I applied last year as well and was waitlisted.  The dates can vary but last year people got acceptance emails somewhere around February 21st.  The rejections are done by snail mail, not sure why.  Most people received rejections by the 23rd.  Since I had not received either I was confused but on February 26th I received an email offering me a spot on the wait list.  So it's going to be at least a couple more months. 

Just noticing all the talk about SSW diploma..I did the two yr program thy Conestoga straight out of high school and loved it! It gave a really good base for social work and my continued schooling and really taught me a lot about myself as an individual as well as the path I wanted to take in social work. I would recommend it for sure as I found it very beneficial!

Anyone else cutting it close with the U of T deadline? I have been so busy I just haven't had the time to sit down and really work on this, I've been sneaking in time at work when it's quiet! Fingers crossed for everyone!

Anyone else cutting it close with the U of T deadline? I have been so busy I just haven't had the time to sit down and really work on this, I've been sneaking in time at work when it's quiet! Fingers crossed for everyone!

ME!!!! Ah!

I'm finishing my York and U of T applications today (hopefully). It's significantly harder than I expected to stay within the word limit. I'll be able to, but a lot of my time has been taken up by editing it down to fit. I have my CV done (just some final reviewing) but the statements aren't there yet.

Good luck everyone!

Yup! I haven't even looked at mine from last year yet, though it's pretty good and just needs some minor tweaking. That's my project for today, then getting it to a prof who agreed to look at it today =P

Then tomorrow is when I revamp York's completely, but I know where I'm going with that and my sister, who is in the program now, is gonna take a look at it for me. 

At least I did my resume up a month or so ago, just left it open since things are changing a bit right now. Just need to do a final once over for that, add a job I just got, and tweak the hours again and it's good to go! I'm using the same resume for both, though taking the hours worked out for York since I don't really think they care since they don't ask for it.

I just finished my UofT application, I submitted everything it feels so good to see all those little green check marks haha fingers crossed 

Now I'm off to work on my statement for York 

:)

Good luck everyone!

I just finished my U of T application! Fingers crossed. I am not confident about my application though as I don't have much experience related to social work. But I did my readings and research, I did my best while raising a baby and doing house chores. I am an immigrant by the way. I know U of T said they welcome people from a diverse background, I don't know if this will give me advantage or not. Good luck everyone! 

I did it. I can't believe it. I just submitted York and U of T.
Despite feeling good about these applications over the weekend, a last minute wave of self-doubt struck and the last few hours have been stressful to say the least!! But they're IN, SUBMITTED, AND DONE!
Now I just need to force myself not to read them again and overthink things between now and March/April!!

Congrats to everyone else who submitted applications today!! I just have one left.. Lakehead (Orillia). Going to do that one in early January, then the online test that month. I will be so happy when this is done!

I just finished my U of T application! Fingers crossed. I am not confident about my application though as I don't have much experience related to social work. But I did my readings and research, I did my best while raising a baby and doing house chores. I am an immigrant by the way. I know U of T said they welcome people from a diverse background, I don't know if this will give me advantage or not. Good luck everyone! 

Don't be too hard on yourself, you've been working hard, don't ever forget that! Most of us are on the same boat, not because we've been slacking but because this field is very competitive. It's not easy to get social work experience when you don't have any social experience :/ Anyways, I'm glad the application process for U of T is over, I tried my very best :) I'm taking a short break before I start stressing out about my other statements :P

Happy holidays everyone!

Congrats to everyone who submitted their UofT application! Who's had yet to do their Laurier applications? That's the one I'm most nervous about since the competition is so steep! They barely accept anyone :(. I feel like it's one of those things that you could have a perfect application but still not get it. I think it's really depended on the demographic, maybe I am wrong. Any thoughts?

Hello purplegrey,

I applied to Laurier (2-year). What do you mean about the demographic when it comes to getting accepted into Laurier? Just curious. I don't have a lot of experience applying to Graduate Programs and I'd love to know what "demographic" gets in.

Thank you.

Edited by astre006

Hey guys, grats to everyone on Uoft/York applications!

I went to 2 universities for my undergrad and one of my transcripts hadn't arrived yet so I called the office and she told me it's ok if your transcripts/references don't arrive until the New Year. So for anyone lurking these forums freaking out, have no fear!

Hi Guys, 

New here!!

Does anyone know how many credits UofT consider as the the last two years? Im in my 4th year. (Im applying to advance standing)

Right now my GPA average is 3.8 for 8 courses.  

I also have two practicums, 3 research assistant jobs, 1 social service job in housing, and multiple other volunteer experiences (with children, youth, immigrants and seniors) as my experiences.

Can anyone tell me what my chances of getting in are? (I unfortunately was only able to hand in my personal statement and resume yesterday at 4.30pm - don't know if that makes a huge difference)!

Edited by selis

Hi Everyone! I am new on this forum!

I just submitted my app. to UofT yesterday (congrats to those that did as well), and I just wanted to raise a couple questions. 

I submitted it yesterday (December 15th) however their website is not really clear about the time it should have been in at. It just says December 15th. What do you guys think? It some places on the website it says "by December 15th" and some it says "on December 15th". I am assuming it is fine, all documents say received.

Also - I am clearly second guessing everything I am doing- the UofT app. is just on the SGS application site right? There is no secondary application on OUAC or anything like that right? 

Thirdly, I would really appreciate some suggestions about programs I should apply too. 

I have a BA in Global Studies from Laurier, with a minor in religion and culture. I have a research specialization in Global Humanitarianism, with experience doing research. I have international work experience as an aupair and as part of a practicum at Laurier, I have international volunteer experience. I have volunteer experience with Laurier's Aboriginal student center, as well as a few volunteer placements here and there. 

Social work is intriguing to me because it provides a great foundation in holistic conflict resolution. So what I am asking is do you guys suggest any other MA programs that you know of, that might seem fitting to myself.

I will be applying to Laurier's program, which as we all know I shouldn't rely on. 

I was thinking of going down the one- year BSW route at Lakehead, Oriliia. This is the only one year program BSW I can find whose requirements I meet. Do you guys know any others? 

As far as MSW programs Laurier and UofT are the only ones who I can find so far whose requirements I meet. 

Anyways, all advice and suggestions is really appreciated!! Thanks for helping this lost soul! 

Man since deciding not to apply I am just SO confused about what my next move should be. I've just discovered another option ... I am eligible to apply for the 2-year BSW at McMaster that is based 50% on grades and 50% on the SWAT ... but the application fee is quite high and I will need to decide by next week.

I have very competitive grades and I think I would have a decent shot at the 2-year program at U of T next year, but clearly there are no guarantees. I could wait a year and apply to that or I could apply to start the McMaster BSW in September 2015 ... with no guarantee that my grades will be as competitive for advanced standing by the end of that (I'm a little burned out).

Help? :(

Edited by mswhopeful1

Hello purplegrey,

I applied to Laurier (2-year). What do you mean about the demographic when it comes to getting accepted into Laurier? Just curious. I don't have a lot of experience applying to Graduate Programs and I'd love to know what "demographic" gets in.

Thank you.

I was told when I visited the university that the mean age of people applying is usually between 25-27 

I just submitted my app. to UofT yesterday (congrats to those that did as well), and I just wanted to raise a couple questions. 

I submitted it yesterday (December 15th) however their website is not really clear about the time it should have been in at. It just says December 15th. What do you guys think? It some places on the website it says "by December 15th" and some it says "on December 15th". I am assuming it is fine, all documents say received.

I wish i could remember where I read this, but I am confident that the deadline was 11:59 on December 15th. Even after then, references can be sent to the admissions office through the administrator's email and I wouldn't be surprised if extenuating circumstances could excuse handing in the written statement and other forms as well but I digress. If the forms were received, you're fine. Call the office if you're still worried.

Also - I am clearly second guessing everything I am doing- the UofT app. is just on the SGS application site right? There is no secondary application on OUAC or anything like that right? 

You filled out the application form offered by both SGS and Factor-Inwentash, right? That's all there is to it.

I am somehow MORE stressed now that I have actually submitted my application, how will I last until April?!. I keep thinking of how I could have made it better and things I should have added. I also just got accepted into a training course through work today regarding child protection skills for new practitioners which would probably look quite good for me, wish I had have known about that last week! Oh well, at least I know I am not alone :)