Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2015 admissions

smpalesh

Yay! It's so awesome to see everyone else applying and getting all excited. Surprisingly, the time is flying by and I feel sort of indifferent as to whether or not I get in (Laurier's advance standing is too competitive to get very excited about!) but I am planning some backup options for if I am rejected. 

It's Winter break for the BSW program right now (at UWaterloo) and I'm feeling exhausted and burnt out from everything Social Work. It feels like some of these programs are structured to make you question your very purpose in life before you are allowed to commit to a career path! :wacko:  :blink:

purplegrey - I can't see that being the mean age for the MSW program, that seems low to me.  Considering that it is a graduate program people will have to at least be mid-20s and many people are older than that.  I am 35 years old, was waitlisted last year and hoping to get accepted this year.

LP3 - Laurier is competitive but if you have a lot of experience you have a good shot.  My problem isn't my grades (just graduated from Renison's BSW program on the Dean's Honours list) but my lack of experience.  I have no paid experience.  I have 5 years of part-time experience on a sexual assault crisis line and then my 720-hour practicum through my BSW.  Even with that lack of experience I was waitlisted last year so if you have more (and varied) experience than that I am sure you have a chance.

purplegrey - I can't see that being the mean age for the MSW program, that seems low to me. Considering that it is a graduate program people will have to at least be mid-20s and many people are older than that. I am 35 years old, was waitlisted last year and hoping to get accepted this year.

I agree. My friend just graduated from the msw at Laurier program (2 year ) . She is 27 and she told me she was one of the youngest in her the class. She said many were in their early thirties and older. On the other hand i heard U of T is a real mixture from another friend who graduated from the 2 year msw program this past summer. : some straight out of undergrad and others who have been been out of school and working for a while. Don't quote me its just what I heard through talking to people. There are lots of bright young people straight out of undergrad us "oldies" have to compete against.

Edited by saffacanuck83

Random question and bit silly with everything already being submitted. But how long is too long for a CV ? I figured I'd rather put everything and too much rather than leave something out. (It's all education or social work related ).i am talking about U of T where they say there is no limit

Edited by saffacanuck83

Random question and bit silly with everything already being submitted. But how long is too long for a CV ? I figured I'd rather put everything and too much rather than leave something out. (It's all education or social work related ).i am talking about U of T where they say there is no limit

I think "no limit" means just that - there is no limit. As long as you are describing each position in a fairly succinct way, then the length of your CV simply reflects the amount of experience you have. If you have 10-15 years of volunteering and professional experiences, your CV is going to be long. No limit means no limit.

smpalesh - that's quite possible. That's what they told me when I went to visit the university this summer to get a feel of kitchener/waterloo and their MSW program. I'm 21 and applying, so I imagine there are a lot of others that are also applying right after the completion of their undergrad.  

purplegrey - I can't see that being the mean age for the MSW program, that seems low to me.  Considering that it is a graduate program people will have to at least be mid-20s and many people are older than that.  I am 35 years old, was waitlisted last year and hoping to get accepted this year.

Has anyone thought about maybe applying to a one year social service worker program (ex. George Brown), to boost your resume in combination with applying to BSW and MSW, just as a back up. The program has a placement and it would be good to show dedication to the social service field???

Any advice is appreciated. 

lee22 - Personally I feel it's a waste, but that's just my opinion.  The grades and coursework will not matter at all when applying for a BSW or MSW.  It would be better to volunteer or work to get more experience.   A social service worker program and a social work program are two very different things.

Has anyone thought about maybe applying to a one year social service worker program (ex. George Brown), to boost your resume in combination with applying to BSW and MSW, just as a back up. The program has a placement and it would be good to show dedication to the social service field???

I think the answer to that question will vary depending on your profile and the strengths and weaknesses of your application, in addition to how many years you are willing you go to school. A college level program will not be included in your GPA or strengthen your application academically. If your grades and course work are solid but you greatly lack relevant work experience or don't have a clear focus on your career goals, then you may find this option beneficial. Keep in mind, this route could delay your social work plans by a couple of years or more if you are doing it to find a way to attain relevant experience. If you are quite young and need 2 or 3 more years to get experience and some focus in life, then it might be a good option for you.

Otherwise, I'd personally opt for the BSW and/or MSW route. If you're having a hard time finding work in the field, try to think outside of the box. There are jobs you could do that require very little training, such as a personal support worker in a shelter, group home or a hospice, for instance that could look attractive to admissions' committees, depending on how you write about it in your SOP and you would not need to attend college for 12 months to qualify for such work.     

Hi Everyone! I am new on this forum!

I just submitted my app. to UofT yesterday (congrats to those that did as well), and I just wanted to raise a couple questions. 

I submitted it yesterday (December 15th) however their website is not really clear about the time it should have been in at. It just says December 15th. What do you guys think? It some places on the website it says "by December 15th" and some it says "on December 15th". I am assuming it is fine, all documents say received.

Also - I am clearly second guessing everything I am doing- the UofT app. is just on the SGS application site right? There is no secondary application on OUAC or anything like that right? 

Thirdly, I would really appreciate some suggestions about programs I should apply too. 

I have a BA in Global Studies from Laurier, with a minor in religion and culture. I have a research specialization in Global Humanitarianism, with experience doing research. I have international work experience as an aupair and as part of a practicum at Laurier, I have international volunteer experience. I have volunteer experience with Laurier's Aboriginal student center, as well as a few volunteer placements here and there. 

Social work is intriguing to me because it provides a great foundation in holistic conflict resolution. So what I am asking is do you guys suggest any other MA programs that you know of, that might seem fitting to myself.

I will be applying to Laurier's program, which as we all know I shouldn't rely on. 

I was thinking of going down the one- year BSW route at Lakehead, Oriliia. This is the only one year program BSW I can find whose requirements I meet. Do you guys know any others? 

As far as MSW programs Laurier and UofT are the only ones who I can find so far whose requirements I meet. 

Anyways, all advice and suggestions is really appreciated!! Thanks for helping this lost soul! '

There is the 15 month BSW program at St.Thomas as well :)

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses!! 

At this point I do not think I have time to apply to the Lakehead HBSW. The references are due Jan. 9th. and have to be mailed in. 

I feel like I do not have many options at this point other then the MSW, or the social service worker diploma. I feel like because I do not have a social work background the diploma would show my dedication to wanting to learn more about the field and also it would provide me with more volunteer work. 

ohh welll, here is to hoping UofT likes me! haha 

Thanks everyone for the advice, I appreciate it!!  :)

I read on the George brown website that the SSW program can be fast tracked to one year if you have a bachelors degree.

also there's the 15 month BSW program at St.Thomas University

Edited by soapaddict

It's 2015!  This is the year our lives will change, hopefully for the better.  Less than 2 months until I find out about Laurier's Advanced Standing MSW.  I hope time will go fast!

Ah!! I don't know what to think about it. Some days I'm convinced I won't get in, but other days I'm like, hey there's a slim chance!
Part of me knows I can't be too hopeful because it's Laurier.  :blink:

Hi Everyone! I am new on this forum!

I just submitted my app. to UofT yesterday (congrats to those that did as well), and I just wanted to raise a couple questions. 

I submitted it yesterday (December 15th) however their website is not really clear about the time it should have been in at. It just says December 15th. What do you guys think? It some places on the website it says "by December 15th" and some it says "on December 15th". I am assuming it is fine, all documents say received.

Also - I am clearly second guessing everything I am doing- the UofT app. is just on the SGS application site right? There is no secondary application on OUAC or anything like that right? 

Thirdly, I would really appreciate some suggestions about programs I should apply too. 

I have a BA in Global Studies from Laurier, with a minor in religion and culture. I have a research specialization in Global Humanitarianism, with experience doing research. I have international work experience as an aupair and as part of a practicum at Laurier, I have international volunteer experience. I have volunteer experience with Laurier's Aboriginal student center, as well as a few volunteer placements here and there. 

Social work is intriguing to me because it provides a great foundation in holistic conflict resolution. So what I am asking is do you guys suggest any other MA programs that you know of, that might seem fitting to myself.

I will be applying to Laurier's program, which as we all know I shouldn't rely on. 

I was thinking of going down the one- year BSW route at Lakehead, Oriliia. This is the only one year program BSW I can find whose requirements I meet. Do you guys know any others? 

As far as MSW programs Laurier and UofT are the only ones who I can find so far whose requirements I meet. 

Anyways, all advice and suggestions is really appreciated!! Thanks for helping this lost soul! 

Hello!

Congratulations on applying :) Here is another program that might be of interest to you:

Masters of Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership

http://carleton.ca/mpnl/

The application system is now open for the Summer 2015 intake.  The Summer Institute for 2015 will run from July 6th to July 17th. Complete applications should be submitted before the deadline of January 15th, 2015 to be considered for funding.  

Question about the Laurier 2 year application. I completed 2 practicums in my undergrad in the BASc program at Guelph. The experience form has a space for practicum, but the instructions say to leave it blank for the 2 year program. Do you think I should I fill it out anyways since I have completed relevant practicums? I don't want to seem like I am not following the instructions...

Or am I totally over-thinking this? :)

Question about the Laurier 2 year application. I completed 2 practicums in my undergrad in the BASc program at Guelph. The experience form has a space for practicum, but the instructions say to leave it blank for the 2 year program. Do you think I should I fill it out anyways since I have completed relevant practicums? I don't want to seem like I am not following the instructions...

Or am I totally over-thinking this? :)

Bettyg,

I think that's a great question. You should e-mail the social work admissions office for the best response. It may take a few days due to high volume of traffic, but they will respond.

Good luck!

Hi everyone! 

I came across this forum when searching for information on when admissions decisions would be made. I found the posts to be really helpful, so I thought I would join the conversation  :)

I have applied to University of Calgary's 2 year MSW-clinical specialization. They are the only one that I intend on applying to, so hopefully they accept me! Has anyone else here applied to the U of C program?

Hi!

I also applied to the 2-year MSW program at U of C - International and Community Development specialization. It is also the only one I applied to (rooted here and already work online, so I didn't want to study online, too).  I was torn between the Clinical and ICD specializations, but decided to opt for ICD because of my teaching background.

Good luck to you!  Do you have any idea as to when we'll hear some news on application status?  

Bettyg,

I think that's a great question. You should e-mail the social work admissions office for the best response. It may take a few days due to high volume of traffic, but they will respond.

Good luck!

I did email them and they responded already! In case anyone else has the same question, they said to put it in the volunteer section of the experience profile. 

Hello everyone and best of wishes to those who applied to MSW 2015! 

I'm a new user on the forums :) and I did read all of the 2014 one.

Ok..I have what is probably the silliest question..I have completed my application to Waterloo on Quest, and it's ready to be submitted..but where is the submit button!? Do I actually send this somewhere from quest or do I just leave it here completed and they view it from my student center as is? Anyone!? Thanks in advance !

Jennbe,

I was wondering the same thing. I have all my documents submitted too and just waiting if anything changes. Have you figured it out? 

I read on the George brown website that the SSW program can be fast tracked to one year if you have a bachelors degree.

also there's the 15 month BSW program at St.Thomas University

Hello,

I did take the SSW at George Brown (fast tracked 1 year as I have a B.A Psychology degree). I found the program very good for me, as it helped me become more passionate about social work and consolidated my decision for this career. It provided good intro and a practical component (eg. Advanced Counselling Practice class). Although, it is a year (5 weeks in May and Sept-April), the choice is yours.

If you thinking of applying later to post-degree with it (ex: 10 month Waterloo BSW or the one year HBSW at Lakehead) then some credits will count. In the case of Waterloo I'm getting 3 prerequisites for it and the Lakehead I read somewhere that you can have credit exemption for some classes. 

Is anyone else who is applying to Laurier having a hard time restricting responses to 333 words per each question? It is driving me crazy and I just want to get it done today and mailed out! Perhaps everyone is way ahead of me and already sent their package in! Haha, I have been such a procrastinator with all of these applications!