Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Anybody else apply at Florida State or Catholic University?  I've had some good news from both places, but not an official acceptance yet.  

I also applied at Notre Dame, UChicago, Yale, Boston College, UVA, and will apply in a couple weeks at Ave Maria University. 

Thanks!

Luke Arredondo

I applied to CUA as well (Ph.D. in Biblical Studies). I was invited a few weeks ago to a preview weekend (invitation only) that is taking place Jan. 25–26, and I am planning to attend.

Edited by stevenmarq

Depends on the school.  I applied for ethics at UChicago, Moral Theology at CUA, Religion, Ethics, and Philosophy at FSU, Systematic at BC and Notre Dame, Philosophical Theology at Yale and something very much like Religion, Ethics, and Philosophy at UVA.  

Anybody else apply at Florida State or Catholic University?  I've had some good news from both places, but not an official acceptance yet.  

I also applied at Notre Dame, UChicago, Yale, Boston College, UVA, and will apply in a couple weeks at Ave Maria University. 

Thanks!

Luke Arredondo

fides, I applied to that same FSU program and received an invitation to apply for a fellowship - not sure if that's what you received. I wouldn't have thought anything of it except the form that explains the fellowship says that it is offered to those who have been admitted. I can't imagine that part is true this early but it has at least caused me to be curious.

Did you receive something else?

ALH3, yes that's what was sent to me this morning!  And an invitation to apply for an assistantship.  I too noticed that line, and am optimistic and naively trusting the systems of a large university to be in place and ensure that such a document would be worded correctly.  Haha.  Cool to see someone else aiming for FSU!  I attended as an undergrad many moons ago.

Pax,

Luke

ALH3, yes that's what was sent to me this morning!  And an invitation to apply for an assistantship.  I too noticed that line, and am optimistic and naively trusting the systems of a large university to be in place and ensure that such a document would be worded correctly.  Haha.  Cool to see someone else aiming for FSU!  I attended as an undergrad many moons ago.

Pax,

Luke

I'm optimistic too! ...or trying to be - ha. I actually emailed them to ask how I was nominated...hope that was a good idea! If they respond, I'll post.

Looks like we have similar taste in programs too. Good luck! (I've got two little kids as well...so good luck there too!)

I'm new to the forum and trying to gauge whether anyone has received acceptance letters or interview requests from the school's I've applied to. This is my first year applying, so I have no idea what to expect as far as timeframe. I applied to: 

Notre Dame: PhD, Christianity and Judaism in Antiquity

Vanderbilt: PhD, Hebrew Bible

John Hopkins: PhD, Near Eastern Studies

Brandies: PhD, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies

I also applied to Hopkins.  Nothing yet from them, but the deadline was Jan 15 so I wouldn't expect anything for a while.

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but since I don't have any friends in real life going through this process right now, I figured I might find a little camaraderie here.  :)

My focus is Hebrew Bible/Ancient Near East.

Just applied to:

NYU

Hopkins

Union Theological Seminary

Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison

Duke 

Univ. of Chicago (Div School)

All PhD programs.

Anyone else apply to those?  Have you heard anything yet?

Thanks!

Luke Arredondo

Hi Fides - I applied to Chicago too.  Did you apply to the broader university or div school?

Hi Fides - I applied to Chicago too.  Did you apply to the broader university or div school?

I applied to the Div school in ethics.  Haven't heard anything yet, but I see there's a few people here that have interviewed.  I never thought about whether they were Div. school or university applicants though.  

Anyone?

I'm new to the forum and trying to gauge whether anyone has received acceptance letters or interview requests from the school's I've applied to. This is my first year applying, so I have no idea what to expect as far as timeframe. I applied to: 

Notre Dame: PhD, Christianity and Judaism in Antiquity

Vanderbilt: PhD, Hebrew Bible

John Hopkins: PhD, Near Eastern Studies

Brandies: PhD, Near Eastern and Judaic Studies

I applied to Brandeis's NEJS PhD. Results usually aren't expected until the end of February. I'd do a search of the results section on here to see when the schools you've applied to generally respond back. 

I'm the one who did the Chicago interview, but it was unofficial and actually I'm very scared about chicago. They have an insanely high reject rate! Does anyone have any insight as to why? Is it considered the best religion program in the country? I don't actually know much about it except that this one professor that I really like is there...

I'm the one who did the Chicago interview, but it was unofficial and actually I'm very scared about chicago. They have an insanely high reject rate! Does anyone have any insight as to why? Is it considered the best religion program in the country? I don't actually know much about it except that this one professor that I really like is there...

What prof are you looking to work with that you like?

I think Chicago only takes 1-2 people per subfield, if that. The cohorts are very small at 1-3 people, but my friend who is currently attending via Islamic Studies said that they accept approx. 20 people. Her cycle they accepted 2 out of 45 applicants in that subfield which yields a 4% acceptance rate if you're just looking at competitiveness within that specific field. I'm sure other fields like philosophy of religion probably have more applicants.  

It consistently ranks as the top religion program in the country, which is why it is so picky.

Edited by Aubstopper