Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Well, thanks for the responses. Again, it's obviously a rejection - just figured they'd send those out in a timely manner. Oh well!  :)

Does anyone know when Vandy's NT PhD program will open back up? I've seen a few postings regarding faculty issues a while ago, but nothing else. I would be interested in it next year if I didn't get in to a program this year, though I am not sure if it will ever open back up.

It seems that the faculty issues still stand. When I talked to current GDR students recently, they didn't seem to have any hope that they would be resolved any time soon. However, Vanderbilt requires a minor field and you can still minor in NT without any difficulties.

I chose a Dean's Fellowship at Columbia! very happy with it--the department has been nothing short of wonderful!

Yes, congratulations! Lots of exciting things happening at Columbia right now.

thank you so much! I've been really worried about job prospects, etc, but after talking with a few students in the department I'm really excited about it. Very kind people, very supportive mentors. I think it will end up being a great experience :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to everyone still waiting. including myself.

I was also on a waitlist until today, and then I got a call this afternoon with an offer of admission to Emory! I accepted it, and now I am a lot less stressed out. Best of luck to you!

I was also on a waitlist until today, and then I got a call this afternoon with an offer of admission to Emory! I accepted it, and now I am a lot less stressed out. Best of luck to you!

Congrats Steven!  Glad that worked out for you man!  

Just for the sake of future compulsive gradcafe checkers - wanted to throw out there that it's past decision date and I never heard from Syracuse. I never called them because I hoped to contribute hard data about their notification dates to the results board...alas. 

Just for the sake of future compulsive gradcafe checkers - wanted to throw out there that it's past decision date and I never heard from Syracuse. I never called them because I hoped to contribute hard data about their notification dates to the results board...alas.

Finally heard back from them two days ago via mail. Rejected -- but they explained that it was because both my POIs were taking a sabbatical next year. I wonder why they took so long to tell me?