Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Best of luck to both of you! I'm actually applying to the Mst+DPhil scheme, but at least one scholarship (e.g., FOSTER) covers either DPhil or Mst+DPhil. That's really what I'm hoping for, though I doubt I'll hear back in the next few days either way.

I've heard (through another UK uni) that funding won't be announced until April due to a certain deadline tied to the UK government (I assume Clarendon, etc funding decisions). Anyone else have any thoughts on that?

Hello Stefani and Red Door,

I didn't make the post, but I do know that the admissions meeting was last thursday, and the funding (EU, perhaps international too, I'm a UK student so don't know about the non-EU funding timeline) one is tomorrow. So it is possible or even likely that the person who 'solicited' the knowledge of their acceptance is genuine! I assumed that by 'solicited' it means they asked someone on the admissions committee whether they had got in.

Hope this helps.

I did post my acceptance about an Oxford DPhil in Oriental Studies, not sure if that's the one you were referring to. I did receive an official email though. 

Hey all.

Got it. :)

Visited my POI Friday morning - but even though he 'recommended' me, he didn't know if I had made it through the final administrative decision. So I emailed the admissions office and simply asked. They told me I was in, and a letter with more formal instructions and funding info would be coming shortly. This was for Oxford Theology.

Edited by Stefani

Hey all.

Visited my POI Friday morning - but even though he 'recommended' me, he didn't know if I had made it through the final administrative decision. So I emailed the admissions office and simply asked. They told me I was in, and a letter with more formal instructions and funding info would be coming shortly. This was for Oxford Theology.

Congrats!!! Oxbridge is at the top of my list for when I apply next year, so I can't help but feel happy for you!

What concentration are you doing, i.e. Jewish, Christian, Islamic studies?

Also, how much sway do POI's have at Oxford?

Edited by Averroes MD

Congrats!!! Oxbridge is at the top of my list for when I apply next year, so I can't help but feel happy for you!

What concentration are you doing, i.e. Jewish, Christian, Islamic studies?

Also, how much sway do POI's have at Oxford?

Averroes! I did my MTS at BU and ALMOST did it at Harvard, and I ran with the UU club there for a while. I still live in Cambridge most of the time. Lovely, lovely spot.

Does your name mean you do Jewish studies?

I do religion and science, so I'm working with Donovan Schaefer and Alister McGrath. The concentration is kind of new at oxford, I get to be one of its first graduates!

That's a great question. I've only met with each of my POIs once, but one of them told me that the two of them had a meeting - the "heads" for the religion and science concentration, to review the candidates and sort of rank them. They sent the applications along with notes of 'strong recommendation' (for me, hah!), or other I'm assuming less enthusiastic ones, to the final admissions committee. I gather the final committee has the job of balancing the requests of all of the different concentrations and allocating colleges and funds. They also send the emails out mid-end March. From what I gather talking to people here and at the school its pretty easy to get information about the process from them, you simply have to ask.

Hey all.

Congratulations :)

Averroes! I did my MTS at BU and ALMOST did it at Harvard, and I ran with the UU club there for a while. I still live in Cambridge most of the time. Lovely, lovely spot.

Does your name mean you do Jewish studies?

I do religion and science, so I'm working with Donovan Schaefer and Alister McGrath. The concentration is kind of new at oxford, I get to be one of its first graduates!

That's a great question. I've only met with each of my POIs once, but one of them told me that the two of them had a meeting - the "heads" for the religion and science concentration, to review the candidates and sort of rank them. They sent the applications along with notes of 'strong recommendation' (for me, hah!), or other I'm assuming less enthusiastic ones, to the final admissions committee. I gather the final committee has the job of balancing the requests of all of the different concentrations and allocating colleges and funds. They also send the emails out mid-end March. From what I gather talking to people here and at the school its pretty easy to get information about the process from them, you simply have to ask.

Actually, I am in Islamic Studies. 

Great, thanks! Congrats again!

So, I'm already squared away, but I'm dying to know - has anyone heard from Syracuse? It's getting so late, and they're the only ones I haven't heard from! I'm almost wondering if my app got lost somewhere, but I don't see it in the results list either. I wonder if it helps or hurts their overall acceptance rate to release decisions so late. (And by acceptance, I mean Syracuse getting THEIR first choice students, not the normal use of the term.)

So, I'm already squared away, but I'm dying to know - has anyone heard from Syracuse? It's getting so late, and they're the only ones I haven't heard from! I'm almost wondering if my app got lost somewhere, but I don't see it in the results list either. I wonder if it helps or hurts their overall acceptance rate to release decisions so late. (And by acceptance, I mean Syracuse getting THEIR first choice students, not the normal use of the term.)

The weather SUCKS in Syracuse. :)

I applied and haven't heard anything. I'm assuming I was rejected though since there's an acceptance in the results page from over a month ago now.

Yeah...I see you applied for MA. I wonder if MAs and PhDs are on a different timeline - I'm going for the PhD, which is why I didn't count that result as definitive. Hmmm.

I applied and haven't heard anything. I'm assuming I was rejected though since there's an acceptance in the results page from over a month ago now.

Technically applicants have until April 15 to accept or decline offers, which means Syracuse is still in the window of sending notice. I remember in my app year (three years ago), I had to solicit a decision from Syracuse because I was going to an admitted students visiting weekend elsewhere, and I wanted to know whether or not they were on the table. I had been in contact with the DGS over the summer, so I felt comfortable sending her an email asking if decisions had been made. They were, and I was rejected. This was at the very beginning of March. I honestly don't remember if I received an official rejection (though I probably did by mail and didn't even open it!)

I'd send the department an email and just say you'd like to be able to make a decision soon if possible (even if you've already made it.)

Not that it matters but does Vanderbilt and Virginia just not send out rejections? I've heard back from everyone but them. Obviously I didn't get in but figured they'd at least send a generic email or something. Just curious...

Not that it matters but does Vanderbilt and Virginia just not send out rejections? I've heard back from everyone but them. Obviously I didn't get in but figured they'd at least send a generic email or something. Just curious...

I've heard from multiple people that Vanderbilt has not notified them at all still. The other day I emailed one of the applicants (for HB) who was interviewed back at the beginning of February and she said that she was accepted to the program for the one available spot. I understand that administrative people have lots to do, but it seems wrong not to let people know what's going on at the earliest time possible.