Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Princeton University offers have been out for a couple of weeks.

My point was--I was the NT student accepted at PTS, and I just turned it down. So if you're on the waitlist, don't despair, guys. The slot is open.

My point was--I was the NT student accepted at PTS, and I just turned it down. So if you're on the waitlist, don't despair, guys. The slot is open.

Hope this bodes well for me. I'm on the waitlist. When did you notify them? (And where are you ending up!?)

Hope this bodes well for me. I'm on the waitlist. When did you notify them? (And where are you ending up!?)

Sent emails to my POIs yesterday and they directed me how to formally turn it down this morning. I'm going to Duke GDR instead (huzzah!).

Does anyone know anything about Vanderbilt Hebrew Bible notifications?

For the MA or PhD? For the Hebrew Bible PhD, Vanderbilt is accepting 1 student this year. They interviewed 2 people but no notification yet.

For the MA or PhD? For the Hebrew Bible PhD, Vanderbilt is accepting 1 student this year. They interviewed 2 people but no notification yet.

For the PhD - thanks for the info!

Did anyone here on GradCafe receive an offer from Baylor for Church History?

Hi. I'm not in Church History but I personally know one of the people who got offered a spot there. As far as I know he is taking it. Sorry if this is bad news.

Anybody interviewed by Baylor hear back from them yet? I thought we were supposed to hear something last week.

Baylor has made offers at least to folks in Theology and Church History. They made them last Friday (2/27) I believe. I suspect if you haven't heard back they may be using an internal wait list and trying to prod their acceptances to make a decision either way. I hope this is helpful.

Congrats! Unfortunately, my good friend was the first in line and has accepted the PTS NT spot.

I'm not an applicant this year, but just wondering for the future - is there usually only one NT spot available at PTS?

hi!

UCSB: I mailed them on a different occasion (which was only an excuse to mail them :)) and they told me that the committee is sitting and reviewing applications right now, and the letters will be sent out in March. According to another's guy POI, it must be by the end of this week. Contradiction is apparent :)

Also, as far as I got it, UCSB has no "waves" of acceptance. According to the survey it's like that: a student is accepted — silence — acceptance — silence — rejection — silence.

Jpb and Merivo have you guys heard anything yet???

I got my official acceptance (couple weeks ago) and official funding offer (last week).

You must be hearing soon!

I wish I had followed this thread more closely - I thought there was no way I would be getting into UCSB with decent funding (also the ONLY religious studies program I applied to)... So I just assumed I'd be a Comm person ... Until last week!!!

No decision yet though... Almost, almost!

Jpb and Merivo have you guys heard anything yet???

I got my official acceptance (couple weeks ago) and official funding offer (last week).

You must be hearing soon!

I wish I had followed this thread more closely - I thought there was no way I would be getting into UCSB with decent funding (also the ONLY religious studies program I applied to)... So I just assumed I'd be a Comm person ... Until last week!!!

No decision yet though... Almost, almost!

I haven't heard anything yet. My POI suggested decisions were being released this upcoming week. Fingers crossed!

She's amazing!

Are you hoping to work in the REM lab or do Cog Sci stuff at all?

I'm not. I know her research interests lie in cognitive science at the moment, but she's also the chair of the Catholic Studies dept and I focus on American Catholic history. We talked over the summer and autumn about my fit at UCSB. She sounded as if she was on board; however, I'm nervous about her shifting interests and whether she'll choose to look elsewhere instead of at my project. We'll see!

I'm not an applicant this year, but just wondering for the future - is there usually only one NT spot available at PTS?

Well, I was told there were two biblical studies spots, and I assumed that meant one NT and one OT. But it looks like an NT spot was claimed before I turned mine down...so maybe their first choices this year were both NT students?

Well, I was told there were two biblical studies spots, and I assumed that meant one NT and one OT. But it looks like an NT spot was claimed before I turned mine down...so maybe their first choices this year were both NT students?

I am hoping RedDoor's buddy took a vacancy from someone else declining their admission because they posted that two days before you turned down your acceptance. Basically, I hope that there's still hope for me :).

Edited by Remington

It depends year to year; for instance this year they took 3 in theology while two years ago they only took one. Point is, I don't think its set in stone whether they take 1 or 2, or 1 in each testament etc.