Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Just got my rejection from Duke Divinity. This one stings more than any of the others. I had a really great meeting with the prof I wanted to write with and with the chair over the summer. The prof I want to work with actually said the words, "You need to be here."

5/8 rejections. Not looking great for me.

That's a shame. I've heard, though, that professors may have varying levels of say on admissions committees.

Just got my rejection from Duke Divinity. This one stings more than any of the others. I had a really great meeting with the prof I wanted to write with and with the chair over the summer. The prof I want to work with actually said the words, "You need to be here."

5/8 rejections. Not looking great for me.

I'm with you, my friend! I received my rejection also. I didn't have as much interaction there, but did get rejected from another program where I had a similar experience, with the professor saying essentially the same thing. It's tough. So far, I'm 4/5 on rejections, with only Harvard still not officially rejecting me (though the handwriting seems to be on the wall). Like you, I'm not sure what the next move is!

For anyone applying to Boston University - I heard from my advisor this week that they hadn't even started looking at apps yet. But they do hope to have the decisions by March 1. 

Has anyone heard from Boston University's GDRS?

I'm with you, my friend! I received my rejection also. I didn't have as much interaction there, but did get rejected from another program where I had a similar experience, with the professor saying essentially the same thing. It's tough. So far, I'm 4/5 on rejections, with only Harvard still not officially rejecting me (though the handwriting seems to be on the wall). Like you, I'm not sure what the next move is!

I was not admitted to Yale or Duke (ThD), but I was waitlisted at Princeton. I know I should be grateful for at least making the waitlist at Princeton (and I am! Makes me feel like I am not crazy to be applying to these programs), but damn I really wanted Duke!

Makes me feel like I am not crazy to be applying to these programs)

I know exactly what you're saying! I have thought on a number of occasions today that it feels as though I am playing checkers, while all the other applicants are playing chess. I was hoping for at least a wait list somewhere, but perhaps that would have simply prolonged the agony and given me false hope. So, it's back to square one and re-evaluating whether I want to attempt this all over again next year.

yes all acceptances have gone out. Columbia it is!

Not sure who posted this on the results page, but what do you make of this as it relates to Harvard? "The official method of notification is by mail. Unless potential advisors reach out via email or phone individually, that is how you will hear."

I was contacted by Wesley Wildman (my POI) at Bu today notifying me that applicants are being reviewed and also letting me know about the MTS in the theology school (which I won't be applying to since it is a seminary and I am not religious).

For the other(s) who was/were wait-listed at Marquette (PhD), was there any indication in your e-mail regarding what place you are on the wait list...?

I got the email today telling me that I was on the wait list, but it didn't tell me what place I was. I decided to email the program director, and he told me my position.

So has anyone gotten an official letter yet from Harvard (either through CSR or NELC)? I'm still waiting!

Nothing yet. From results page, it looks like NELC POIs generally sent out acceptances by email around the first week of March and official acceptance/rejection letters were received in the mail the 2nd or 3rd week or March. It's possible everything may be delayed some because of the weather last month.

Just received my rejection from Marquette. Rev. Joseph told me my acceptance was unlikely since I didn't have a master's in theology or religious studies.