Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

I know for a fact Harvard has had at least two meetings. (my POI) as to the timing of the final choices, only God knows. I wish us all the absolute best of luck. I cured my Emory rejection blues with Chipotle carnitas today, and let me tell you: it worked!

I know for a fact Harvard has had at least two meetings. (my POI) as to the timing of the final choices, only God knows. I wish us all the absolute best of luck. I cured my Emory rejection blues with Chipotle carnitas today, and let me tell you: it worked!

Individual teaching groups meet to discuss before the doctoral subcommittee meets, before the whole committee meets, before they send them off to the general committee of the GSAS. If your POI was involved in the first stage, it still may be weeks and weeks before it gets to the final stage. There's really, really nothing you can do at this stage—you did everything you could do by December 15. I know how hard the waiting game is, but don't drive yourselves crazy—and GradCafe is especially bad at giving you rope to hang yourselves with.

So I know many of us are in the waiting game, and it of course drags on and is awful for all of us.

I did interviews on campus at a school (by invitation) at the end of January, and they told us they'd have decisions by the end of that week (Jan. 30).  That day came and went, and I thought little of it because I figured that was a best case scenario.  Another week passed, and I called to get an update.  I was told that the process was still working itself out, and some decisions were starting to go out and that I'd hear by next week.  Today is the last day of that week.  I'm pretty much resigned not to call back or email anybody, and just wait it out.  But I have a visit to another school next week, where I've been accepted and it would help me Tremendously to know if I'm in at school #2 or not.  It would give my visit an entirely different purpose and feel if I know for a fact that I'm going to attend this school, not merely that I need to debate and discern which place is right.

Do you think it would be unreasonable of me to email a professor next week if I haven't heard by Tuesday?  My trip is next Thursday-Sunday.  

And just to be clear, my phone call last week was very calm and polite, and lasted all of about 45 seconds.  So I haven't been bugging them, and they even told us we could call.  I just kind of worry about throwing my decision into the reject pile if I check in too often.

Thanks!

Luke

columbia, harvard, and georgetown are all coming out the last week of february, so next week is a dead week for me unless Penn comes out.

And thanks, its ok! I'm sitting on a funded Cambridge acceptance, I'm just being a whiny baby who wants ALL the shiny toys. I'm ashamed at the bad aspects of my character that this application cycle is bringing out! I am glad of the rejection in a way. It reminds me that I will end up in the best place for me, and that no matter what, my friends and family will be by my side.

Congrats on the funded cambridge acceptance. Do you mind sharing what kind of funding you got?

HI everyone, 

I am currently a ThM student at Candler School of Theology part of Emory University. I am also an applicant for Hebrew Bible for Fall 2015. I saw that some people are convinced that Emory's GDR has already notified the accepted students. This is not true. Today, 2/13/2015, the GDR met and went through the top applicants for all programs. I know this because I am at the school and know the faculty. All subfields are discussing the best applicants today. If you are one of the lucky ones, maybe, just maybe you heard from Emory today. The majority will hear sometime next week. I hope this calms some anxious souls. 

Philip

I think that's commonplace. Profs get a lot of emails and so if they don't have to respond to it then they won't.

My experience is from the professional, non-academic world but I think it still applies.  When you go on a job interview, you are expected to send a thank you email.  If you don't, it's usually looked down upon.  That said, the recipients almost never respond to this email.  For every job I've ever gotten (in my past life, prior to returning to academia), I sent a thank you email, and I don't think anyone has ever responded.  But they hired me! That's what counts!

Edited by Enki Knows

I did not get hired. I got buuurned. But c'est la vie, and there is no way on earth I would have gone there anyway. Maybe they sensed that from the Interview. I HATE cities where you need a car, and the school has no graduate housing, barely any public transportation, and I'm a east-coast person all the way. Still. Zing. 

Edited by doobiebrothers

columbia, harvard, and georgetown are all coming out the last week of february, so next week is a dead week for me unless Penn comes out.

And thanks, its ok! I'm sitting on a funded Cambridge acceptance, I'm just being a whiny baby who wants ALL the shiny toys. I'm ashamed at the bad aspects of my character that this application cycle is bringing out! I am glad of the rejection in a way. It reminds me that I will end up in the best place for me, and that no matter what, my friends and family will be by my side.

I would also be interested to kno what kind of funding you were able to get from cambridge. Thanks!

Edited by Zachary Salsbury

HI everyone, 

I am currently a ThM student at Candler School of Theology part of Emory University. I am also an applicant for Hebrew Bible for Fall 2015. I saw that some people are convinced that Emory's GDR has already notified the accepted students. This is not true. Today, 2/13/2015, the GDR met and went through the top applicants for all programs. I know this because I am at the school and know the faculty. All subfields are discussing the best applicants today. If you are one of the lucky ones, maybe, just maybe you heard from Emory today. The majority will hear sometime next week. I hope this calms some anxious souls. 

Philip

First round offers for HB are out.

Does anybody know when UCSB will make its decisions? I'm waiting and waiting; I understand that it should be soon, but maybe somebody's got magic insider info? (The same applies to Hopkins philosophy...)

Meanwhile, I'm accepted in HUJI, but in Israel you have to pay by yourself, so it doesn't really count, unless my supervisor (or an alien, an archont or any lesser, but wealthy angel) will provide me with a stipend. 

Edited by merivo

Does anybody know when UCSB will make its decisions? I'm waiting and waiting; I understand that it should be soon, but maybe somebody's got magic insider info? (The same applies to Hopkins philosophy...)

Meanwhile, I'm accepted in HUJI, but in Israel you have to pay by yourself, so it doesn't really count, unless my supervisor (or an alien, an archont or any lesser, but wealthy angel) will provide me with a stipend. 

I am also waiting and waiting for ucsb! I am telling myself it will be this week, though I have no inside information (and I've told myself that every week). 

Someone just reported a Vandy GDR rejection that they received yesterday via email.  Odd timing. 

Their results notes explains "Email with recommendation to apply to MA." I'm guessing that recommendations to apply to MA or M* programs go out earlier, similar to the person in this thread above who received an email from Harvard saying that they could pass on their application to the MTS committee. Perhaps the Vanderbilt rejection was also a case of the person not having an MA or an MA in a different field.

I interviewed at Vanderbilt last week and have not been contacted yet.

Its possible, but seems somewhat unlikely to me.  Campus was shut down yesterday, and again today.  The DGS told me they wouldn't be making decisions for probably two weeks after the interview. 

I am also waiting and waiting for ucsb! I am telling myself it will be this week, though I have no inside information (and I've told myself that every week). 

good luck to both of us! :) who's your poi? if you wish, pm me!

as far as I got, they don't have waves and everything there is pretty blurry. acceptance, weeks, acceptance, rejection, week — acceptance, but without funding.