Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

My job leaves me with far too much time on my hands, and in between meetings I find myself switching between these forums and the results database. I saw that some people had heard back from UVA but mostly because they received emails from their POIs. I'm just trying to figure when (or even if) I should expect to hear from them.

I applied to the Theology, Ethics, and Culture subdiscipline. 

Thanks!

Does anyone know how the process tends at Marquette? It looks like interview e-mails have gone out, and I didn't receive an invitation. Is it safe to assume I will be seeing a rejection letter in the mail?

It depends on the department, the GDR Admissions committee is making decisions for first rounds admits on Friday.

Are you referring to Emory? Do you mean subdepartments? Because like doobiebrothers said, people on this forum were told that the decisions were being announced today

I am talking about the Emory Graduate Department of Religion. The HB faculty informed us that they submitted their ranking on Monday and that the GDR Admissions committee would make/release decisions for the first round on Friday. I'm fairly certain that means all GDR decisions will be made on Friday.

Got official word from Duke GPR that I was not offered admission (Hebrew Bible). No surprise there!

I just got the same message from Duke regarding the NT Ph.D. program. I guess they are alerting many (or all) of the applicants at the same time?

Has anyone heard anything else  (interview requests, etc) from Yale? 

I don't know about other subfields, but American Religious History interviewed last week and faculty nominated students who they want to admit on Monday. An admissions committee at the grad school makes a final decision, I was told it would take two weeks.

has anyone had the experience of not having thank-you letters answered? I interviewed at Emory last weekend and I'm assuming I didn't get the spot which is what it is. But I sent thank-you emails to faculty and staff after the interview and got no response. What's going on here? This just seems rude!

has anyone had the experience of not having thank-you letters answered? I interviewed at Emory last weekend and I'm assuming I didn't get the spot which is what it is. But I sent thank-you emails to faculty and staff after the interview and got no response. What's going on here? This just seems rude!

I think that's commonplace. Profs get a lot of emails and so if they don't have to respond to it then they won't.

it's bizarre how much worse a rejection feels after an on campus interview. they fly you out, meet you for three days, and then decide they don't want you. very, very, very hard not to take personally. Because it is personal. ouch. Hope the rest of the month brings better things!

it's bizarre how much worse a rejection feels after an on campus interview. they fly you out, meet you for three days, and then decide they don't want you. very, very, very hard not to take personally. Because it is personal. ouch. Hope the rest of the month brings better things!

Sorry to hear, Doobz. 

I think next week is the big week according to past decisions on the results page. Yale and Princeton at least...

columbia, harvard, and georgetown are all coming out the last week of february, so next week is a dead week for me unless Penn comes out.

And thanks, its ok! I'm sitting on a funded Cambridge acceptance, I'm just being a whiny baby who wants ALL the shiny toys. I'm ashamed at the bad aspects of my character that this application cycle is bringing out! I am glad of the rejection in a way. It reminds me that I will end up in the best place for me, and that no matter what, my friends and family will be by my side. 

Edited by doobiebrothers

May I ask how you know this about Harvard? It seems that in past years it sometimes hasn't been until March.

I, too, am suspicious of this. Especially with all of the closures for snow, many, many faculty meetings have had to be rescheduled. There's a possibility they've made them up on Skype or something, but I would be cautious about surmising a date unless you have it on word from admissions given the unprecedented cancellations this winter.

Don't worry. You're still accepted here. The Grad Cafe, where you're always admitted.

I, too, am suspicious of this. Especially with all of the closures for snow, many, many faculty meetings have had to be rescheduled. There's a possibility they've made them up on Skype or something, but I would be cautious about surmising a date unless you have it on word from admissions given the unprecedented cancellations this winter.

I applied to Harvard and received a rejection e-mail last week. Not unexpected, I don't have a Masters, so I probably didn't make the first cut. They offered to pass on parts of my PhD application to HDS for the MTS program, which is probably why I received early notification.