Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Cambridge applicants: Any movement on your camsis accounts? I'm still under review. Is this a bad sign? I'm thinking of emailing my POI to ask, what do you guys think?

Almost never a good idea to email a POI this early - they have your application, and they know who you are. They aren't going to speed up the process on your account, and you run the risk of putting yourself in a bad light, seeming pushy. 

If it were early April, then sure. But its not even February, so my very best advice is: stop checking GradCafe. It will make you stress more than is necessary.

FYI, I emailed Dr. Goodacre at Duke and he said that interview notifications go out early next week. Not sure who is posting on the results board. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

Was it wrong from me to have interpreted this as meaning that I would get an e-mail first thing this morning...?

FYI If you guys haven't been active on the site before: Trolls exist here too ;)

It tends not to happen with religious studies (philosophy gets it the worst I think) but sometimes disgruntled applicants or perhaps mischievous PhD students post fake early results (because they know from previous years when these things are typically released) in order to rile up current applicants and make them think they've maybe been rejected. It's possible that someone genuinely received an interview invite early--but I'd probably go with what a faculty member says over the gradcafe results search. 

Additionally, it seems that people over-zealously post interviews on the results page even when they have "informal interviews" (ie just chatting with a POI or grad director), which in my opinion, don't really count. I had several of those during the inquiry stage. 

How sad that people feel the need to troll others who are clearly super emotionally-exposed balls of anxiety (this is me atm, at least). 

Edited by Aubstopper

Does anyone know if you have to get an interview to be accepted at ND in the CJA program? Based on the results from previous years, it seems like the interview invites should be going out this week. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not there is still hope if I don't get an interview request by the end of the week. 

I know this is silly, but I totally just freaked out with excitement that someone from Notre Dame, IN viewed my Academia.edu account.  

I'm very glad this website exists, but also glad I hadn't stumbled into it too soon, or I think it may have made me more neurotic about the application process.  The waiting game is the worst!

Pax,

Luke

Does anyone know if you have to get an interview to be accepted at ND in the CJA program? Based on the results from previous years, it seems like the interview invites should be going out this week. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not there is still hope if I don't get an interview request by the end of the week. 

Yes, everyone in any area at ND gets interviewed before getting accepted. I have a feeling that emails should go out this week, based on last year!

I noticed a couple for Religion, Psychology, and Culture but nothing for Hebrew Bible. 

I haven't heard anything from the Hebrew Bible. However, it seems that the only one who MIGHT take students in the Hebrew Bible department is Seow. The last I heard, he hadn't made a decision about whether he would take students this year since it's his first year at Vandy. With that said, they did take applications for the Hebrew Bible department so it seems that they are at least considering taking students.

Almost never a good idea to email a POI this early - they have your application, and they know who you are. They aren't going to speed up the process on your account, and you run the risk of putting yourself in a bad light, seeming pushy. 

If it were early April, then sure. But its not even February, so my very best advice is: stop checking GradCafe. It will make you stress more than is necessary.

Dear Diazalon,

Thanks for the great advice! This is my second, and probably last attempt, so I'm sure you can understand I'm more than a bit nervous. I actually ended up having my advisor email me out of the blue anyway and let  me know that my application had progressed to the next stage of the process. I'm glad I didn't initiate it though!

All the best,

doobie

Dear Diazalon,

Thanks for the great advice! This is my second, and probably last attempt, so I'm sure you can understand I'm more than a bit nervous. I actually ended up having my advisor email me out of the blue anyway and let  me know that my application had progressed to the next stage of the process. I'm glad I didn't initiate it though!

All the best,

doobie

Glad to hear it. I remember the feeling, and how antsy it can make you.

Just remember: you've done all you can do. You put everything you can into your application, and it's almost never the little things - an extra email here, a candle lit there - that make the difference between an acceptance and a rejection. There is a process, and committees are looking for three things: preparation, fit, and opportunity. The last one is key. Many (most) programs would bring in a dozen students, all similarly qualified, if they could. But often departmental and administrative logistics get in the way. Even the most well-funded programs in the world have to be more selective than they'd prefer due to of institutional realities. 

And to prove to you that it can be the case, I'll leave you with this: I was accepted to my absolute top choice program after what was supposed to be the "drop-dead date," because money was freed up to bring in a student. It happens, I promise.  

Sit tight, don't do anything rash, and put your head in a book until April. 

And stop checking GradCafe. 

So, did anyone on here receive an interview notification from Vanderbilt?

I did for Hebrew Bible this past weekend (1/24) and I am guessing that all the other grad dept of religion interview notifications went out around the same time.

I did for Hebrew Bible this past weekend (1/24) and I am guessing that all the other grad dept of religion interview notifications went out around the same time.

May I ask who your POI is? Have you heard if anyone other than Seow is taking students?

I presume Marbury and Azzoni are accepting students but I haven't asked them personally. Azzoni is interesting in that she's listed as a Lecturer and from my experience in other universities, lecturers (even those with a PhD) cannot supervise PhD students, though I recognize Vandy may not follow this. Azzoni's C.V. though says Assistant Professor (TT), so perhaps it's simply an error on VDS' part with their website and records in listing her as a lecturer.