Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

Honestly, I'm not sure when it changed! I had some trouble with the system early on. I am also not 'banking' on the British schools I am applying to, since they are notorious for having scanty funds (at least for international students - which I am, being Canadian). However, if funding were forthcoming I would be much more excited! :)

Seeing reports of interviews for EMORY HB & NT. Has anyone heard anything from Ethics & Society?

No! I was getting worried, especially after seeing the numerous results from HB and NT....the problem is it looks as though I have a big commitment on the 7th. But I don't even know if I'll get an invite, especially if everyone seems to have heard back

FYI, I emailed Dr. Goodacre at Duke and he said that interview notifications go out early next week. Not sure who is posting on the results board. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

It's also weird that there are two postings for NT up. I was under the impression that Duke only interviews one candidate for each subfield (unlike Emory or Baylor). However, I could very well be incorrect.

FYI, I emailed Dr. Goodacre at Duke and he said that interview notifications go out early next week. Not sure who is posting on the results board. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

FYI If you guys haven't been active on the site before: Trolls exist here too ;) 

It tends not to happen with religious studies (philosophy gets it the worst I think) but sometimes disgruntled applicants or perhaps mischievous PhD students post fake early results (because they know from previous years when these things are typically released) in order to rile up current applicants and make them think they've maybe been rejected. It's possible that someone genuinely received an interview invite early--but I'd probably go with what a faculty member says over the gradcafe results search. 

does anybody here have academia.edu? I can see that in the last three days my profile has been looked at by two people in Cambridge, MA. I hope this means my Harvard application is under review!

The same happen to me last year when I applied for master's work at a couple of divinity schools that offered great stipends. Within a couple of weeks of submitting my application my academia.edu account received visits from the same location as the two schools, one in Atlanta and one in Dallas. Could have been a coincidence, but the next day I formally finished setting up my academia.edu account and uploaded papers.  

I'm so excited and scared and hopeful! I was one of the four waitlisted applicants last year, and my POI told me that I was #1 on the list. Someone even did turn them down, and they decided not to fund a sixth student. I was so, so, so close. I took all of my POI's advice, learned new languages, moved countries, fine-tuned my research. I really, really hope it works out this year. I think I'll be really crushed if I get a rejection #2. 

this season is honestly going really well though, given five interviews and one presumed admit. I can't be greedy, but I feel like a top-chef contestant in last chance kitchen. I want redemption!

Edited by doobiebrothers

It's also weird that there are two postings for NT up. I was under the impression that Duke only interviews one candidate for each subfield (unlike Emory or Baylor). However, I could very well be incorrect.

Can anyone verify that it is true that Duke only interviews one per subfield? I was just wondering how that might work. They interview the one they like, or one that is lower and depending on how that goes they take that person or bump someone up. anyone have any insight into this? I am not applying right now just wondering.They generally only take avg. 1 per subfield. right?

Can anyone verify that it is true that Duke only interviews one per subfield? I was just wondering how that might work. They interview the one they like, or one that is lower and depending on how that goes they take that person or bump someone up. anyone have any insight into this? I am not applying right now just wondering.They generally only take avg. 1 per subfield. right?

Yes. They 'interview' one per subfield. The 'interview' is non-competitive and on campus, mostly to woe you into coming. It's basically an informal acceptance. 

Do they not have a wait list?

What I was told is that the wait list is created collectively by the Religion department rather than by sub-discipline. That may have changed since. I don't know.