Ph.D. applications 2014-2015 chit chat

seroteamavi

To the folks at the Emory GDR weekend and in the queue, encourage you to put it at the top of your list, a great program with a generous and collaborative faculty and a lot of positive stuff happening in the program. On the one year anniversary of my pick, I feel really good about the choice.  And good luck!

To the folks at the Emory GDR weekend and in the queue, encourage you to put it at the top of your list, a great program with a generous and collaborative faculty and a lot of positive stuff happening in the program. On the one year anniversary of my pick, I feel really good about the choice.  And good luck!

I attended the GDR weekend and had a great time. Do you have any idea based on your experience about when the first round of offers should go out?

successful applicants will find out wednesday (told to me by a current grad student in the program)

Sorry, but successful applicants to which school will find out Wednesday???? Went back through the thread to try and figure it out but still am unsure which program you are speaking to specifically. Not a PhD applicant--but certain schools (but by no means all schools) begin releasing the master's decisions the next day/few days following PhD decisions. I want to know what is the reasonable point at which I should begin to start freaking out about checking my email.

Edited by W.Churchill

MA/MST decisions are not necessarily made by the same committee. At some of the schools where you applied, results coming from GSAS vs Divinity Schools would have different timelines as they're completely different departments.

But to ease your anxiety, when I applied to MA programs, I started hearing back in early March. PhD stuff, seems to me, comes in much earlier (as the apps are due earlier as well).

Sorry, but successful applicants to which school will find out Wednesday???? Went back through the thread to try and figure it out but still am unsure which program you are speaking to specifically. Not a PhD applicant--but certain schools (but by no means all schools) begin releasing the master's decisions the next day/few days following PhD decisions. I want to know what is the reasonable point at which I should begin to start freaking out about checking my email.

Emory notifies Wednesday.

Vandy's GDR is interviewing applicants primarily M-W (Feb. 9-11) and decisions will follow very soon after. I forget the exact numbers but somewhere around 30 people were invited to interview for 9 spots, of which four will be chosen as a Theology and Practice fellow.

Emory notifies Wednesday.

Vandy's GDR is interviewing applicants primarily M-W (Feb. 9-11) and decisions will follow very soon after. I forget the exact numbers but somewhere around 30 people were invited to interview for 9 spots, of which four will be chosen as a Theology and Practice fellow.

Thanks!!! That is incredibly helpful. I'm assuming (hoping) the interviews are just for the PhD slots...But I knew applying to Vanderbilt GDR for a MA going in was a shot in the dark. Still, my fingers are crossed!

Is Vanderbilt inviting anyone to interview for OT this year?

I received an invitation to interview for Hebrew Bible (PhD). I'm not sure if Prof. Seow has made the move out to Vanderbilt yet so I don't know if he will be at the event this week or not. We were told in an email that GDR finalists will receive their interview schedule after they check-in on campus Tuesday morning (2/9). I was contacted by Prof. Marbury, so I imagine that HB finalists will interview with him and perhaps Prof. Azzoni.

Best wishes to everyone!

successful applicants will find out wednesday (told to me by a current grad student in the program)

Thanks for the tip doobs, any idea if that date is specific to your subfield? I interviewed in American Religious Cultures and would obviously love some resolution by this week. Anyone have a sense of Columbia's timeline? I intreviewed almost two weeks ago... 

liquid congrats on the emory and columbia interviews! I'm in exactly the same boat! Emory is for icivs/wsuar track through MESAS. My guess is though that if you interviewed in any subfield and are successful, you'll find out this week. 

Columbia should be doing their final meeting next week. My POI told me after the interview that I was his top pick, but that departmental politics are going to be in play this coming week. Good luck to you! Let me know how it plays out!

liquid congrats on the emory and columbia interviews! I'm in exactly the same boat! Emory is for icivs/wsuar track through MESAS. My guess is though that if you interviewed in any subfield and are successful, you'll find out this week. 

Columbia should be doing their final meeting next week. My POI told me after the interview that I was his top pick, but that departmental politics are going to be in play this coming week. Good luck to you! Let me know how it plays out!

I just heard from the chair of the NT subfield at Emory that the GDR selection committee is meeting on Friday to select the successful applicants.

Thanks for the info! I am a life-long New Yorker and have personal relationships with CU faculty in my subfield , so *really hoping* they'll will allow me to stay-put, but Emory interview felt a little more energetic/ promising. Let me know how you're decisions shake-out as well, here's to future colleagues! 

Hi, 

first time posting, but I've been reading for the last month. Has anyone else applied to U Dayton this year? I know in previous years people have, but I haven't seen anyone on here this year who has. Just wondering. 

I didn't apply, but I did look into their program at one point.  Given what I've read here over the past month or so (from those who post, at least), I would guess probably nobody did, but I could definitely be wrong.  Were you applying for a civil or canonical degree?

Pax,

Luke

I didn't apply, but I did look into their program at one point.  Given what I've read here over the past month or so (from those who post, at least), I would guess probably nobody did, but I could definitely be wrong.  Were you applying for a civil or canonical degree?

Pax,

Luke

Thanks for replying Luke. I figured as much, but thought it was worth asking rather than assuming. 

As to what I applied for- I just applied for the PhD in Theology. On the application there is no distinction between civil and canonical.  I am not a part of the Catholic Church, but their website clearly stated it was open to students from outside the tradition. 

Their degree certainly would be, but the canonical program (STD, or Doctorate in Sacred Theology) would entail Much more work, so that's why I was curious.  It's only available if you concentrate in mariology though, I think.

I think it's a safe assumption that you'll hear by March. 

The waiting game sucks!  Where else did you apply?

Pax,

Luke