Fall 2015 Applicants!

Did you guys see on admissions thread someone got a call from cu boulder on the 26th of February?

I found that a little curious - in the past they've given decisions by email, and never so early. I'm not too worried by it since it's only a single post.

Hello all.

Did anyone else apply to University of Nebraska Omaha? If so, the application portal recently changed to "An official notification will be mailed to you regarding your UNO application." This is not a drill. I REPEAT, THIS IS NOT A DRILL. Two days ago it was still under review. I would pitch a tent by the mailbox if it weren't so cold out. I just want some decisions so I'm put out of my misery.

I figured I would share this because I am currently still laughing about it and it happened ten minutes ago. I logged onto an application portal (refer to above post) and saw a change in status. I was a little flustered and fell down a flight of stairs in my hurry to go downstairs and share the news. I usually try not to laugh at the expense of others but I can't help but laugh at myself.

You know applications are interfering with your life when they become a hazard to your health.

I figured I would share this because I am currently still laughing about it and it happened ten minutes ago. I logged onto an application portal (refer to above post) and saw a change in status. I was a little flustered and fell down a flight of stairs in my hurry to go downstairs and share the news. I usually try not to laugh at the expense of others but I can't help but laugh at myself.

You know applications are interfering with your life when they become a hazard to your health.

Lmao that's hilarious. Glad you're ok, but I could totally see myself doing that. God, these applications are making all of us crazy!!

My phone stopped remembering my Emerson portal details. I think it got tired of loading the same portal (with the same lack of decision) 7 times a day.

I have a phone interview with University of Houston this coming Monday about scholarships and funding (although they were pretty clear that it wasn't an offer of admission)- any ideas or tips? I've never done a funding interview before, let alone one over the phone, and I'm so nervous! It doesn't help that my allergies are acting up and I can't stop coughing. 

anyone applying to pittsburgh schools? i haven't seen a lot from UPITT or Duquesne.. 

I applied to Pitt. If i recall correctly they're e-mailing decisions next weekend

I keep getting emails from Amazon and every time I see the "A" I think it's Arizona... and then it's not... waiting is killing me!

I hate getting emails and thinking that they are from grad schools, but they're just random spam!

Edited by Chandru1

I keep getting emails from Amazon and every time I see the "A" I think it's Arizona... and then it's not... waiting is killing me! 

haha i got an email with the subject "Can you come in for an interview" and I thought it was from a school.... but it was for a babysitting job FML

haha i got an email with the subject "Can you come in for an interview" and I thought it was from a school.... but it was for a babysitting job FML

I get those...from Teach for America. To whom I have never applied to.

I have a question for everyone. If I already submitted an application and had an interview for a school, but have received two grades since then (A's) should I try to submit my updated grades (and hopefully help my chances with a raised GPA) or is it too late for that? I'm contemplating asking an advisor but I don't want to bother them if this is a dumb question. Thanks!

I have been anxiously awaiting to hear from grad schools and heard from my first one today.  I applied to 6 schools and was rejected by an in state University.  I have a 3.8 overall GPA, am in the top 9% of my graduating class, have a 4.0 in CSD and my minor (French), and made a 308 on the GRE (and 4.5 in the writing, 80th percentile rank).  I thought that I had a competitive application, but was not even chosen for the waitlist for this school.  I am genuinely concerned and nervous for what is going to happen with other schools.  Is anyone else as surprised as I am by this? Not a good way to start things off..I have so many questions? 

I have been anxiously awaiting to hear from grad schools and heard from my first one today.  I applied to 6 schools and was rejected by an in state University.  I have a 3.8 overall GPA, am in the top 9% of my graduating class, have a 4.0 in CSD and my minor (French), and made a 308 on the GRE (and 4.5 in the writing, 80th percentile rank).  I thought that I had a competitive application, but was not even chosen for the waitlist for this school.  I am genuinely concerned and nervous for what is going to happen with other schools.  Is anyone else as surprised as I am by this? Not a good way to start things off..I have so many questions?

Well what school was it? It depends on the school, some are super competitive and I have seen people with similar stats as you get rejected from schools. My stats are pretty high (you can see below), and I just got waitlisted at a school that accepted people with lower stats, including some much lower GRE scores. But there are multiple parts to an application and obviously other people's must have been stronger than mine... You can try to go over every part of your application in your head to figure out what was worse than other people's (I already have) but honestly you'll just never know.

You still have five other schools to hear from, so I know it's nervewracking, but try not to worry yet... As long as you applied to some less competitive schools, I think your stats are definitely good enough to get you into at least one! Good luck! :)

Don't get downtrodden by one rejection! I know it's hard, because it's the first one, but you have 5 more opportunities to shine!

It sounds like your application is competitive, but maybe this specific school just didn't think you were a good fit with their program aims/interests/etc. From what several advisors as well as graduate school faculty and deans have told me, grad school is less about qualifications (though of course, that's a huge part), and more about you fitting the program, or ensuring that the program fits you. This just wasn't the right one. Nothing to worry about, and best of luck in this awful waiting process we are all experiencing at the moment. 

I have a question for everyone. If I already submitted an application and had an interview for a school, but have received two grades since then (A's) should I try to submit my updated grades (and hopefully help my chances with a raised GPA) or is it too late for that? I'm contemplating asking an advisor but I don't want to bother them if this is a dumb question. Thanks!

I would say don't send them. At this point most schools are far along in the decision making process and I think it's too late. I don't think 2 As could raise your GPA enough for it to be worth it. You run the risk of bothering the school. That's just my opinion though, I don't think it'll be he end of the world if you do send them.

Hilarious! I keep checking my email on my phone at work and my co-workers probably think I'm addicted to candy crush or something. 

Do you have much related work/volunteer experiences? Yeah it's scary to know that you can be totally qualified in every way but still be rejected just because there are lots of qualified applicants and not enough space in the programs. I've heard of people getting accepted into more competitive programs and rejected from less competitive ones so there's really no way to know exactly what each school is looking for. This is what makes me nervous too, but don't be discouraged!! You still have 5 schools to hear back from so hang in there!

It's been a while since I posted because I have to admit this forum makes me even more nervous than just waiting but I just can't seem to stay away..

I was invited to SFSU for an interview on Monday, but still waiting to hear back from CSUS. Anybody else applying to these schools? 

It's been a while since I posted because I have to admit this forum makes me even more nervous than just waiting but I just can't seem to stay away..

I was invited to SFSU for an interview on Monday, but still waiting to hear back from CSUS. Anybody else applying to these schools? 

I'll be at the interview for SFSU on Monday. That plane ticket was pricey, but this whole endeavor has been.   :)  I'm excited and nervous! 

Does anyone know anything about MSU's program? (Michigan state univ.)

I do. I've had some correspondence with a professor who told me a few things. They don't have an on campus clinic but you pretty much work in actual community clinics early on and get like 100 extra clinical hours.. They've structured learning similar to med school with group projects and other classroom variations which is relatively new to their program and intense I guess but the students there are liking it he said. I think they also have an opportunity to study abroad and visit clinics in England for grads and undergrads.

It sounds like a unique program. I'm definitely considering it but I'm not sure at this point. I hope to visit and get a feel for it. My main concern is the cost for out of state students. It's pricey.