Fall 2015 Applicants!

It sounds like a unique program. I'm definitely considering it but I'm not sure at this point. I hope to visit and get a feel for it. My main concern is the cost for out of state students. It's pricey.

Since you mention price...

I've been accepted to another Michigan school (WMU) and it's also pretty pricey for out-of-state students. Overall GPA-wise I'm a less-competitive applicant (but I have good GREs, good post-bacc grades, good LORs and SOP, and good experiences and time between my undergrad and now), but I'm worried about not getting in anywhere else. I love WMU's program, and I would be thrilled to go there, and I want to go there, but the price is insane... :\ Without an assistantship,  how do people pay for the tuition? I'm looking at something like 63K for tuition the two years, plus more loans needed for cost of living... Is that amount of debt (on top of undergrad debt!) worth it? Who else is looking at around 130K or more for total debt after graduation if they go somewhere like this? :(

Has anyone else thought about assistantships in other departments or perhaps the second year to cut down on the cost? Seems risky to bet on that though...

I had tried not to apply to schools I couldn't afford, but somehow I left this one slip through! It was one of my top choices too.

And mo~, I think that might be a good question for your advisor actually! They likely have insider knowledge about whether those grades would be beneficial or not at this point. To me, personally, it doesn't seem like it would be, unless the schools had an early March deadline. You could always send official transcripts (if they needed them before) with that grade anyway, and if they get added to your file before the program looks at your file, great, but if not, well, at least you tried!

Since you mention price...

I've been accepted to another Michigan school (WMU) and it's also pretty pricey for out-of-state students. Overall GPA-wise I'm a less-competitive applicant (but I have good GREs, good post-bacc grades, good LORs and SOP, and good experiences and time between my undergrad and now), but I'm worried about not getting in anywhere else. I love WMU's program, and I would be thrilled to go there, and I want to go there, but the price is insane... :\ Without an assistantship,  how do people pay for the tuition? I'm looking at something like 63K for tuition the two years, plus more loans needed for cost of living... Is that amount of debt (on top of undergrad debt!) worth it? Who else is looking at around 130K or more for total debt after graduation if they go somewhere like this? :(

Has anyone else thought about assistantships in other departments or perhaps the second year to cut down on the cost? Seems risky to bet on that though...

I had tried not to apply to schools I couldn't afford, but somehow I left this one slip through! It was one of my top choices too.

And mo~, I think that might be a good question for your advisor actually! They likely have insider knowledge about whether those grades would be beneficial or not at this point. To me, personally, it doesn't seem like it would be, unless the schools had an early March deadline. You could always send official transcripts (if they needed them before) with that grade anyway, and if they get added to your file before the program looks at your file, great, but if not, well, at least you tried!

Have you looked into in-state tuition waivers or changing your residency for the second year?

I haven't heard back form any of my schools, and it's driving me nuts

Random question. For the people who have been accepted via mail, do you usually receive big packets in the mail or just a letter? I've been told if it's just a letter it's most likely a rejection.

Random question. For the people who have been accepted via mail, do you usually receive big packets in the mail or just a letter? I've been told if it's just a letter it's most likely a rejection.

Not always! IU Bloomington sent out all of their responses by post, whether it was good or bad news. Mine was particularly good news and it was just a standard size envelope! I think every school is different though. It seems most common for schools to do emails.

Fort Hays State's acceptance is a small letter. :)

GUYS! I got my first acceptance to Syracuse! :-) I was so surprised. As a second year applicant it was torture going through the process for another year and WAITING. But it was all worth it :-) I just have to say this thread is awesome and full of the support I needed to survive this process a second round. You guys rock! I know exactly how difficult it is to wait and wait while you see others being admitted. At my school we had a chant: you only need one acceptance! So hang in there everyone!

Now, I'm from the West Coast and the only info I have on Syracuse is from their wiki page and their dept website. Anyone from that area or the school itself that can give me some insight on their program/school/area?

GUYS! I got my first acceptance to Syracuse! :-) I was so surprised. As a second year applicant it was torture going through the process for another year and WAITING. But it was all worth it :-) I just have to say this thread is awesome and full of the support I needed to survive this process a second round. You guys rock! I know exactly how difficult it is to wait and wait while you see others being admitted. At my school we had a chant: you only need one acceptance! So hang in there everyone!

Now, I'm from the West Coast and the only info I have on Syracuse is from their wiki page and their dept website. Anyone from that area or the school itself that can give me some insight on their program/school/area?

pdxlady1, I've also been accepted into Syracuse! This was my first acceptance as well, and I am a Canadian applicant, so if anyone does have any information about Syracuse that would be great!! Are you planning to go to the open house later this month?

I do. I've had some correspondence with a professor who told me a few things. They don't have an on campus clinic but you pretty much work in actual community clinics early on and get like 100 extra clinical hours.. They've structured learning similar to med school with group projects and other classroom variations which is relatively new to their program and intense I guess but the students there are liking it he said. I think they also have an opportunity to study abroad and visit clinics in England for grads and undergrads.

It sounds like a unique program. I'm definitely considering it but I'm not sure at this point. I hope to visit and get a feel for it. My main concern is the cost for out of state students. It's pricey.

Wow thank you! That definitely gives me a better understanding. I heard that a lot of lecture is outside the classroom then there are group discussions after? So it's a learn-on-your-own program.. do you know if that's true?

Thanks cosmicmorgan! I'm very relieved. Still a little in shock I think, I keep looking at the email to make sure it really did happen and I didn't just imagine it :-)

pdxlady1, I've also been accepted into Syracuse! This was my first acceptance as well, and I am a Canadian applicant, so if anyone does have any information about Syracuse that would be great!! Are you planning to go to the open house later this month?

Congrats on the acceptance let'sgo! I can't go to the open house, it doesn't really give me much time to tell my workplace to get time off and to get a cheap flight last minute from the west coast :-/ but I'm currently drafting an email with all the questions I have for them. Are you going?

My phone stopped remembering my Emerson portal details. I think it got tired of loading the same portal (with the same lack of decision) 7 times a day.

You already got a rejection from UOP? I haven't heard from them!

Got my first acceptance today! I nearly fell off my chair. I was speechless when I got the news. It is a surreal feeling knowing I'm going to be a Speech-Language Pathologist! I can't wait to start my journey!!! :) 

Did anyone else get accepted to University of North Dakota? I am waiting to get final decisions from all of my other programs before I make any decisions. I am really excited about their program though!

OMG, congrats!!  :D  Kudos to you for sticking with it and applying again this year! Btw, I noticed that you also applied to UO and WW. Have you heard anything from them at all? I'm so antsy over here waiting for an email, phone call, anything!!  :wacko:

Got my first acceptance today! I nearly fell off my chair. I was speechless when I got the news. It is a surreal feeling knowing I'm going to be a Speech-Language Pathologist! I can't wait to start my journey!!! :)

Did anyone else get accepted to University of North Dakota? I am waiting to get final decisions from all of my other programs before I make any decisions. I am really excited about their program though!

I felt the same way when I got my acceptance the other day. "I'm actually going to be an SLP, not just talking about hopefully becoming one someday"....such a good feeling to have. Congrats!

This wait is driving me CRAZY! Happy for all the people getting acceptances today, but I'd love it if the west coast schools would get things moving already!

Same! I thought we would hear from some today for sure. I'm guessing I will check the results page roughly one billion times tomorrow.

Not always! IU Bloomington sent out all of their responses by post, whether it was good or bad news. Mine was particularly good news and it was just a standard size envelope! I think every school is different though. It seems most common for schools to do emails.

okay thanks pmarie!

Fort Hays State's acceptance is a small letter. :)

thanks caterpillar!  I'm praying Fort Hays is one I hear good news from. fingers crossed!

Wow thank you! That definitely gives me a better understanding. I heard that a lot of lecture is outside the classroom then there are group discussions after? So it's a learn-on-your-own program.. do you know if that's true?

You're welcome! I haven't heard it described that way but it's possible. I really want to talk to some students there and see how they like it. The structure is a recent one according to the professor I was emailing. I think he said this fall would only be the second class to be fully integrated in this new structure. Have you been accepted? 

I was accepted there too. Did you read the attached document? Mine requires me to take more pre-reqs, which kinda took the excitement away for me. So UND will be my last resort, unfortunately. It actually looks like a nice program.

anyone know when University of Georgia sends out letters? The submission was Jan 5th and the program starts in the summer, I would hope it'd be soon!

I hate how some schools sent out an email when they will notify applicants of their decision and then a week after that deadline I still haven't heard anything yet....this wait is so painful!!

lakegirl92,

you and i both. but i am thankful that at least i got a waitlist. I was starting to think that im not going to grad school! this process is so painful and tormenting!

I was accepted there too. Did you read the attached document? Mine requires me to take more pre-reqs, which kinda took the excitement away for me. So UND will be my last resort, unfortunately. It actually looks like a nice program.

Yep, I had the same thing happen! They have prereqs that my other programs don't require...I think there would be an extra semester added on to my plan of study if I go there. I too am keeping UND as a "backup". I also did not get offered funding. Nothing about funding was attached to the email so it's probably safe to say I didn't get any.

Yeah, their program seems to be pretty good from what I've heard. They have a good medical SLP focus, which I do like.