Chemistry Applications Fall 2015

ChemiKyle

I submitted mine on the deadline (21st) so maybe they are still going through applications and have been doing rolling admissions..That may be a bit naive and idealistic, but there could be some truth to it.

Did anyone apply near or on the deadline and already get accepted??

You got into Yale though! That is fun and rolls off the tongue pretty well. I am wishing I applied to a few more schools out of reach just to see. I didn't take the subject test so that severely limited the schools I could apply to. Wish I would have just thrown an app at MIT and Yale.

Thank you :) you've gotten into so many great schools too! And don't worry, I also didn't write the Chem GRE out of pure naiveté, and I wish I had applied to a few more schools in general. I also submitted most of my applications either on the deadline or a day or two before...oooops :S

Yeah I definitely understand that! I would be okay with some rejections if that meant maybe just one acceptance from one of those caliber programs. And thanks! I certainly am looking forward to visiting UNC and UT. I am also hoping to hear back from illinois and Wisconsin this week, as my application has not even been reviewed yet (according to both administrators). Of all these, surely I will find a program that is a good fit.

I'll be at UT for the feb 27 weekend and I'm still deciding if I will go to the UNC visit weekend. Feel free to say hello if you see me at a visit!   

Good luck with UIUC and Madison, both are top programs.  I think you have a really good chance at both, looks like you will have a lot to choose from already though!  :)

I'll be at UT for the feb 27 weekend and I'm still deciding if I will go to the UNC visit weekend. Feel free to say hello if you see me at a visit!   

Good luck with UIUC and Madison, both are top programs.  I think you have a really good chance at both, looks like you will have a lot to choose from already though!  :)

I am not going to Texas until March 27th but I'd love to hear your impressions on the program when you do visit. Let me know if you decide to visit UNC. I'll be there March 13th. And thanks! We shall certainly see, but I think I would be content if I could only choose between the programs I have heard back from. Too many options could lead to shallow evaluation. I am hoping to visit no more than 4 places.

Thank you :) you've gotten into so many great schools too! And don't worry, I also didn't write the Chem GRE out of pure naiveté, and I wish I had applied to a few more schools in general. I also submitted most of my applications either on the deadline or a day or two before...oooops :S

Thanks! And I am glad I am not the only one. My advisor mentioned it a few days after the registration deadline and then we were both a bit disappointed. I think he wanted me to push for a more prestigious school so he could take more pride in guiding me there.

Does anyone know if Stanford has sent out the bulk of invitations yet?

I don't think so.

Soooo if I still have not heard from Berkeley, is it safe to assume they rejected me? :(

I hope not. :(

I'm feeling the same way. I discovered this website after submitting most of my applications... seeing all the posts on here makes me wish I applied to more reach schools (Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Harvard, etc..), my only two are MIT and Caltech.  But it definitely feels good getting acceptances! I think if I applied to all reach schools that would not be the case right now...

But the schools you've been accepted to are nothing to sneeze at either! Especially UT, UNC, A&M etc, all Top 20 or Top 10 among certain subfields

Agreed, wishing I would've applied to Harvard now

Does anyone know if Stanford has sent out the bulk of invitations yet?

I called them some time last week and they said that they're hoping to finish up by the end of the month. I'm starting to lose hope :(

Hey I’m new to this site, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the dates for Harvard’s visit weekend/weekends? On their website it only listed March 12-13, but most other schools I’m looking at have between 2-4 possible visits to choose from. I live fairly far away from all these schools so I was hoping to purchase my airline tickets soonish (otherwise there’s no way the travel stipends will cover my costs), but I’m afraid of booking something for that weekend if it really is the only time they host visits. Disclaimer: I haven’t gotten in to their program I would just really like to visit if I did. Also congrats on everyone getting accepted this week!

I've been told in my phone interview that they will notify me by the end of January.

To clarify - that we will get official letters by end of January? 

I feel like everyone had some sort of phone interview for MIT, but the POI who called me started the conversation by saying I was accepted... I'm now paranoid it was actually an interview but the only question he asked me was if I had any questions about the recruitment weekend haha.

To clarify - that we will get official letters by end of January? 

I feel like everyone had some sort of phone interview for MIT, but the POI who called me started the conversation by saying I was accepted... I'm now paranoid it was actually an interview but the only question he asked me was if I had any questions about the recruitment weekend haha.

I have a hunch that only international students go through the interview. I don't know anything about the deadline for the admission emails, but I assume they're still debating who's in and out if they're only going to let me know by the end of this month.

AHHH got an email from a prof. on the Caltech chem admission committee accepting me into their program! 

Finally done with all my admissions! Somewhat regretting I didn't apply to more schools.

I got that email today as well! Super excited, of course - I was most worried that my Chem GRE might sink me here (I know it's generally the least important part, but it's also, you know, Caltech). It's actually a tricky decision - Caltech is obviously amazing, but I really like some of the POIs at other schools as well. I guess I'll see how I feel after the visits!

Accepted into Chemical physics program at Ohio State University. Got an e-mail from Graduate coordinator. Saying  that she's 'informally' letting me know that graduate admissions committee has decided to offer me admission. Haven't received the official letter yet.

I got that email today as well! Super excited, of course - I was most worried that my Chem GRE might sink me here (I know it's generally the least important part, but it's also, you know, Caltech). It's actually a tricky decision - Caltech is obviously amazing, but I really like some of the POIs at other schools as well. I guess I'll see how I feel after the visits!

Congrats! I personally felt the same about the Chem GRE, but I guess we can proudly tell future applicants that there's more important matters than the Chem GRE (from personal experience, too!)

absolutely know how you feel right now. Making the decision is going be the toughest call right now. Ideally, I would like to stay in California, especially Southern California. I literally live 35-40 minutes away from Caltech (assuming no traffic on freeways) and I enjoy just about everything regarding Southern California and Caltech. Unfortunately, my #1 POIs are at Michigan and UNC-Chapel Hill. I really feel like visitation weekends will make or break a school for me... or even worse, put me in an even larger dilemma about what school to attend for the next 5 years of my life. 

AHHH got an email from a prof. on the Caltech chem admission committee accepting me into their program! 

Finally done with all my admissions! Somewhat regretting I didn't apply to more schools.

Same here! I woke up this morning with a Caltech admission in my mailbox. Going to have to make some very difficult choices! I didn't expect to be admitted to places like this...