When did it start to feel real?

jacket24

It may be because I've been through this process before, but applying was not nearly as stressful for me this time around. Now that almost all of my applications have been submitted, that feeling of anticipation is beginning to crawl back in.

When did the possibility of grad school really start to sink in for you? Was it when you started researching POIs? When you clicked 'SUBMIT' on the application for your top choice? Weeks later?

I would say it only felt like something that is really going to happen when I got an early acceptance. Now I'm actually thinking about moving across the country (or potentially to another country!), rather than putting it off as something to think about if they accept me. It's kind of scary, but also exciting.

Masters program:

I received a letter informing me of my official school ID number and instructions on how to setup my email.  This letter came a month prior to the acceptance letter. 

PhD programs:  

During an Open House, the Chair told me she looks forward to seeing me at the interview stage. The Open House was in October. 

I am in my final year of undergrad, and I had the craziest semester juggling a job, internship, coursework and finding time to do graduate applications. I was so focused on getting this done, and getting that done I never really even gave so much thought to what if I get in and what if I don't get in?!?! Now it's winter break and with all this free time all of this anxiety has started rushing in and I'm kinda freaking out. 

Still doesn't feel real, haha.

It will probably start feeling real as my interview approaches (exactly a month from today). I'm still kind of in denial that I'm approaching graduation quickly.

It started to feel real when I got a call from a POI and she was describing the interview process in more detail than anyone else had previously described to me.

She said something close to this (I was taking notes like crazy):

Okay kiddo, you'll sit down with a faculty member, and they'll say, "Tell me about yourself".

And your mind will be scrambling for the most succinct thing to say, but you should jump right into your research. Talk about your hypotheses, results -- don't go straight for the techniques -- show that you understand the ideas behind what you've done. This should calm your anxiety, as it's something to talk about and you are in control of the situation.

After 15 minutes, try to wrap up, and ask them to tell you about their research. Of course, you already know about their research -- you've read a couple of their papers, seen their lab page. Be prepared to ask questions about their research as it relates to something they have said. Being informed, by having read their papers...it isn't so much about digging up some obscure question to launch at them, it's more about having the background to really listen to them and ask questions in the moment, like a real conversation.

When your time is up, shake hands and smile. Do send them a thank-you email at your earliest convenience, as it reminds them of you and leaves them with a warm impression of you.

Okay, kiddo? You're going to do great!

After this phone call, I curled up on my couch and felt more things than I can remember. That's when it felt real.

For my master's, it felt real when a POI called me and told me I'd been accepted, nominated for a university-wide fellowship, and that the department would like to fly me in for a visit. For my PhD, it felt real when I started packing up to move there and even more real once I arrived in August.

Now I'm actually thinking about moving across the country (or potentially to another country!), rather than putting it off as something to think about if they accept me. It's kind of scary, but also exciting.

I have made a conscious effort to postpone any major planning until decisions come out but it's becoming more difficult to avoid. I don't want to become too invested in any one option and close myself off from other possibilities. It helps to have a job to keep you busy but the holiday season provides an abundance of time to process everything.

Love this post. I won't be hearing anything until maybe March 2015 but this time around was less stressful but it felt a little more real when pois began to say my research was "fascinating". Gave me more hope! Love reading you guys stories !

I'm already attending but... definitely my first interview invite.

I applied for grad school completely on a whim. Decided to apply somewhere around the first week of October, took the GRE about a week later, and threw together applications in about a month. It all happened so fast that it didn't sink in what I had done until around Christmas. After that I was refreshing my email compulsively waiting for an interview invite from my top choice since the results section said they sent out emails the first week of January.

So, one day in early January I was super busy and didn't have time to refresh my email every 2 minutes like normal, so I just happened to notice that I had had an email sitting there for THREE HOURS. I flipped out and opened it, and it was from my top choice with the subject line "Interview Day". Best moment ever. That's when it actually sunk in.

Probably gonna have to agree with the OP that it was as soon as I clicked my first "submit" button.  I don't have a perfect profile by any means, but I think I have a decent shot at the schools I'm applying to.  That being said, two months ago I was certain I'd get into a school, seeing as I'm putting in 12 apps to mostly safer programs.  Now that I've clicked submit... I'm starting to freak!  I dunno how I can possibly wait two months to hear back... all I need is one acceptance letter and I'll feel soooooooooo much better.

I would say it only felt like something that is really going to happen when I got an early acceptance. Now I'm actually thinking about moving across the country (or potentially to another country!), rather than putting it off as something to think about if they accept me. It's kind of scary, but also exciting.

Same. When I got my first acceptance, I dropped everything I was doing and started thinking about moving plans and apartments near the campus.

Unfortunately, I still have 2 more quarters of my undergraduate career left. Not to mention that I need to visit the campus (and actually like it) and hear back from several other schools first. :P

When I got an early acceptance to one of my masters applications was the first time I felt confident that my low GPA wasn't going to hold me back from my dream. Then it hit me again today when a professor at another higher ranked school sent me a email saying I have a good chance at getting a TA Assiantship that would pay my out-state tuition, but I will have to prove it to him by doing a mini-project for him. Which I am excited about to even being considered.