2015 Rejection/“Plan B” Thread

LennyBound

I think he's actually used what used to be an acceptable construction in formal letter-writing, though it seems to be less common these days: 'with such and such/in such and such/thanking you, I am sincerely yours'

e.g.

+ other examples on Google: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22i+am+sincerely+yours%22+letter

That's incredible. I've never seen that! Aside from these few people, who does that?!

So, this is my first go 'round and I'm wondering if one of my top choices has sent out a shit ton of rejections but I wasn't among them, is that a good sign?

I'm hoping that it means they are at least considering me seriously but since I'm applying to the MA and they have only sent things to PhD candidates so far according to the results chart it may be entirely meaningless.

Edited by grace9012

So, this is my first go 'round and I'm wondering if one of my top choices has sent out a shit ton of rejections but I wasn't among them, is that a good sign?

I'm hoping that it means they are at least considering me seriously but since I'm applying to the MA and they have only sent things to PhD candidates so far according to the results chart it may be entirely meaningless.

If you're talking about Toronto, I know the MA admissions are generally released weeks after the Ph.D. acceptances. Not sure if that's consistent across departments, though!

If you're talking about Toronto, I know the MA admissions are generally released weeks after the Ph.D. acceptances. Not sure if that's consistent across departments, though!

Boo, it was Loyola Chicago but even one school having that as a typical method kind of ruins it for me.

That's incredible. I've never seen that! Aside from these few people, who does that?!

I was flipping through Kant's First Critique today and noticed that he uses the same convention in his dedication. So there's a venerable philosophical history of signing off like that!

Sometimes people accidentally press the down-vote. But while we're on the subject, my view is that down-voting is something to do when someone is being offensive, rude, mean-spirited, spamming, hijacking a thread, or commenting in plain bad faith. Down-voting is not properly an expression of disagreement or mild frustration. That's my take. Last year, one person down-voted almost anything that I posted. The person disliked me and really disliked my views. That's fine, but the best way to express disagreement is to do so unequivocally. Otherwise one is left wondering whether one violated the community's standard of conduct.

SHUT UP. *downvote*

"It is probably little solace, but I can tell you that I was not admitted to the PhD program at Carnegie Mellon the year I applied."

Rejection email from CMU.

I cannot even

(Also, no longer > Jesus)

Edited by psm1580b

Me too :)

I am more-or-less officially shut out :)

"It is probably little solace, but I can tell you that I was not admitted to the PhD program at Carnegie Mellon the year I applied."

Rejection email from CMU.

I cannot even

(Also, no longer > Jesus)

It's a shame you two are so far away - I really want to buy you both a drink. And then watch Jesus Christ Superstar, or something. 

Rejected from CMU. I have been rejected from way too many schools, but I have got to say that this has to be the nicest rejection letter I have ever received. Better than Ted Sider's last year letter in my opinion.

"Dear [Applicant],

I am sorry to be writing with bad news.  Unfortunately, the department of philosophy at Carnegie Mellon University will not be offering you admission into our graduate programs.  This  year we had a record number of applicants.  Because of financial and other constraints, we were not able to offer admission to all qualified candidates. 

I am sure this is a disappointment, but I do hope that you do not take it personally.  We utilize a number of criteria, including fit to our program, background in relevant fields, and distribution of interest in our student population, that do not necessarily reflect badly on your intelligence or ability to succeed in graduate school.  It is probably little solace, but I can tell you that I was not admitted to the PhD program at Carnegie Mellon the year I applied.

The department would like to thank you for your interest in Carnegie Mellon and also to wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Kevin Zollman"

Edit: I have reread Sider's letter, and I take my word back. The above letter is the 2nd nicest rejection.

Edited by Edit_Undo

Rejected from CMU. I have been rejected from way too many schools, but I have got to say that this has to be the nicest rejection letter I have ever received. Better than Ted Sider's last year letter in my opinion.

"Dear [Applicant],

I am sorry to be writing with bad news.  Unfortunately, the department of philosophy at Carnegie Mellon University will not be offering you admission into our graduate programs.  This  year we had a record number of applicants.  Because of financial and other constraints, we were not able to offer admission to all qualified candidates. 

I am sure this is a disappointment, but I do hope that you do not take it personally.  We utilize a number of criteria, including fit to our program, background in relevant fields, and distribution of interest in our student population, that do not necessarily reflect badly on your intelligence or ability to succeed in graduate school.  It is probably little solace, but I can tell you that I was not admitted to the PhD program at Carnegie Mellon the year I applied.

The department would like to thank you for your interest in Carnegie Mellon and also to wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Kevin Zollman"

Edit: I have reread Sider's letter, and I take my word back. The above letter is the 2nd nicest rejection.

I emailed him back. Said it was "the kindest rejection I've received so far. A+."

What do you think you will do?

To those who have been shut out before, what did you do in the year between reapplying? How did you maintain relationships with letter writers, explain year off, etc. etc.

Apply again next year. Maybe consider more MA programs. If I could not do this, I wouldn't do it.

Until then, something else.

What do you think you will do?

To those who have been shut out before, what did you do in the year between reapplying? How did you maintain relationships with letter writers, explain year off, etc. etc.

I did a completely new research paper on a topic that is relevant to my interests (last season I used an ethics paper, this time, I wrote a paper in philosophy of logic). Also, If you look at my list compared to last season, you will find that I applied to more reasonable programs with very high fit. By 'high fit', I mean that I did not only look for professors that work on the areas I'm interested in in general, but on specific topics (especially the topic I had my writing sample on). This made my statement of purpose very specific and tailored for each program. Also, this sample is much better researched than the previous one. Last sample had about 4 sources, while this time I have about 25 sources (most of the sources are used more than once).

I have also worked as a TA in my home country's university. This is how it happened: I left my C.V. at the department of philosophy in my home country's university and within an hour the head of the department called to set up an interview. I went to the interview. He was very impressed with my C.V. & transcript and the department lacks someone who focuses on Logic. He offered to send me via my home country's University on a scholarship to get a PhD degree on the condition that I get a Masters first (or the equivalent of a Masters. E.g., 2 years of a PhD program that does not require a Masters). After attaining the PhD degree, I will be guaranteed and required by a 3-5 year contract to work as an TT in their department. If I decide to take this track, I am guaranteed a job that pays around $120,000 a year (no tax in my home country).

As for maintaining relationship with my letter writers, it was not tough at all. I told them that I got shut out and to expect to hear from me soonish regarding a new sample and reapplying. They were very supportive and helpful.

Moreover, I had 6 more MA programs to apply to if I have not heard any good news from the 10 I have applied to.

Note: I did not proof read what I have just written because I am a bit in a hurry at the moment. I'll be happy to answer any question that you have. I may have not had a stellar result in my second season, but I am happy with the results so far.

I did a completely new research paper on a topic that is relevant to my interests (last season I used an ethics paper, this time, I wrote a paper in philosophy of logic). Also, If you look at my list compared to last season, you will find that I applied to more reasonable programs with very high fit. By 'high fit', I mean that I did not only look for professors that work on the areas I'm interested in in general, but on specific topics (especially the topic I had my writing sample on). This made my statement of purpose very specific and tailored for each program. Also, this sample is much better researched than the previous one. Last sample had about 4 sources, while this time I have about 25 sources (most of the sources are used more than once).

I have also worked as a TA in my home country's university. This is how it happened: I left my C.V. at the department of philosophy in my home country's university and within an hour the head of the department called to set up an interview. I went to the interview. He was very impressed with my C.V. & transcript and the department lacks someone who focuses on Logic. He offered to send me via my home country's University on a scholarship to get a PhD degree on the condition that I get a Masters first (or the equivalent of a Masters. E.g., 2 years of a PhD program that does not require a Masters). After attaining the PhD degree, I will be guaranteed and required by a 3-5 year contract to work as an TT in their department. If I decide to take this track, I am guaranteed a job that pays around $120,000 a year (no tax in my home country).

As for maintaining relationship with my letter writers, it was not tough at all. I told them that I got shut out and to expect to hear from me soonish regarding a new sample and reapplying. They were very supportive and helpful.

Moreover, I had 6 more MA programs to apply to if I have not heard any good news from the 10 I have applied to.

Note: I did not proof read what I have just written because I am a bit in a hurry at the moment. I'll be happy to answer any question that you have. I may have not had a stellar result in my second season, but I am happy with the results so far.

Excuse me, I want to ask that what are the 6 MA programs? Is there any program which is still in application process?

Excuse me, I want to ask that what are the 6 MA programs? Is there any program which is still in application process?

CSULA, CSULB, SFSU, Birkbeck, Bristol, and St Andrews and Stirling. You can still apply to all of the aforementioned programs.

CSULA, CSULB, SFSU, Birkbeck, Bristol, and St Andrews and Stirling. You can still apply to all of the aforementioned programs.

Thank you for the helpful information. But I wonder whether late applicants will be considered for financial aid?