2015 Rejection/“Plan B” Thread

LennyBound

Things are looking more and more dreary for this year. Eight presumed rejections out of fourteen, the remaining six seem more competitive (Emory, Duquesne) or not a great fit (Fordham, Boston College) for the most part. The only two I am moderately optimistic about is Loyola Chicago and University of New Mexico. But given the other results I don't think I'll be accepted anywhere.

Point being: does anyone have any ideas for gap years? I'm not particularly flush, so just vacationing to Europe or something is not an option. I've been thinking more about volunteer organizations like AmeriCorps. Anyone have experience with something like this, or know anything similar?

Another option is teaching English abroad.  IMO a solid gap-year option, gives you the opportunity to broaden your perspectives a bit living in a foreign culture, immersing yourself in a foreign language, and also (generally) allows plenty of time for working on next year's application. 

Rejected by Brown. Looks like somebodys got a case of the mondays. 

Me too! :( I had realistic expectations for that one, but I must admit, I loved its program! I was hoping maybe they had been drinking while reviewing my app and had therefore missed my GRE scores.

Me too! :( I had realistic expectations for that one, but I must admit, I loved its program! I was hoping maybe they had been drinking while reviewing my app and had therefore missed my GRE scores.

I like to think that after adcoms finish stamping the final application that they head to the bar for drinks and pour one out for all the rejections. 

Okay so here is my question- did somebody actually get an email from UNC saying they were not a qualified applicant? Oh my God!

I doubt it. Pretty sure that for the ~250 people (including me) who did not get an offer or wait list email today from UNC, there's a standard rejection email coming our way by the end of the week. 

Ugh.  This process makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.  Started with 15 schools.  2 official rejections and 8 inferred.  Of the five schools I have left, two are why-not-take-a-shot-even-though-I-know-I-won't-get-in reaches (Pitt and MIT), so I'm really down to just three chances.  The stress of this process is making it absurdly difficult to work on my thesis, which is hugely counterproductive because if I don't get in it will be all the more important to finish my M.A. program strong. 

Ugh.  This process makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry.  Started with 15 schools.  2 official rejections and 8 inferred.  Of the five schools I have left, two are why-not-take-a-shot-even-though-I-know-I-won't-get-in reaches (Pitt and MIT), so I'm really down to just three chances.  The stress of this process is making it absurdly difficult to work on my thesis, which is hugely counterproductive because if I don't get in it will be all the more important to finish my M.A. program strong. 

I'm in the same boat. If it makes you feel any better, Pitt rejections for HPS went out last week. I got mine on Friday. So if that's your program maybe you're still under consideration? I hear you though. Now I have to go stare at a number of papers I'm not actually going to read for my seminar. 

Dear X (if I may),

Soon you will receive a letter from the University telling you that we will not be offering you admission. I wanted to write you directly to say that we very much appreciate your interest in our program. I know all too well that an application represents a significant investment of time and money on your part.

Over recent years the high rate of acceptance we’ve enjoyed has forced us to be especially conservative in the number of offers extended. This means we have been in the difficult position of selecting only a few students from a very accomplished and obviously talented group. That is, perhaps, only a small consolation; still, I hope it is some consolation.

With appreciation for your interest and best wishes for the future, I am

Sincerely yours,

Marc

Marc Lange
Theda Perdue Distinguished Professor and Philosophy Department Chair

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3125

P.S. Totally kidding! Disregard this unbelievably kind and courteous rejection email. Offer letter attached. 

Dear X (if I may),

Soon you will receive a letter from the University telling you that we will not be offering you admission. I wanted to write you directly to say that we very much appreciate your interest in our program. I know all too well that an application represents a significant investment of time and money on your part.

Over recent years the high rate of acceptance we’ve enjoyed has forced us to be especially conservative in the number of offers extended. This means we have been in the difficult position of selecting only a few students from a very accomplished and obviously talented group. That is, perhaps, only a small consolation; still, I hope it is some consolation.

Sincerely yours,

Marc

Marc Lange

P.S. Totally kidding! Disregard this unbelievably kind and courteous rejection email. Offer letter attached. 

I see you have Toronto in red in your signature. Is that a presumed rejection, or have you heard from the department? I am curious because I applied for their Ancient and Medieval Collaborative Program and have not heard anything yet, my application status is still "under review". I don't know if they have a separate adcom for this program or the same adcom. Similarly, I haven't heard any news on consideration for their masters program yet. 

Dear X (if I may),

Sincerely yours,

Marc

Marc Lange

Just got this, too. You hope in vain, Marc Lange. You hope in vain.

I see you have Toronto in red in your signature. Is that a presumed rejection, or have you heard from the department? I am curious because I applied for their Ancient and Medieval Collaborative Program and have not heard anything yet, my application status is still "under review". I don't know if they have a separate adcom for this program or the same adcom. Similarly, I haven't heard any news on consideration for their masters program yet. 

I also applied to Toronto's Ancient and Medieval Collaborative Program. So, wait, Toronto gives out those offers at a separate time? We still have a shot at getting into Toronto?

It's a presumed rejection. I have not heard from the department. My application status still says "under review". I don't know if they have a separate adcom for this program or the same one. Incidentally, my AOS is Ancient. 

I also applied to Toronto's Ancient and Medieval Collaborative Program. So, wait, Toronto gives out those offers at a separate time? We still have a shot at getting into Toronto?

That is what I'm also trying to figure out. I don't see any acceptances this year specifying ancient, medieval, CPAMP, etc, so I'm not sure if people just didn't specify if they were offered admission to that program or if nobody applying for that program was admitted or if it is a separate adcom/time. 

Dear X (if I may),

Sincerely yours,

Marc

Marc Lange

This form email is the same used for four consecutive admission seasons (2012-2015). It may go back further than that. Note that the body of the email abruptly ends with "future, I am". That, too, has not changed from year to year. (Excluding, obviously, the "P.S. . . ." section. Thanks, a_for_apriora.)

Edited by ianfaircloud

Note that the body of the email abruptly ends with "future, I am".

I think he's actually used what used to be an acceptable construction in formal letter-writing, though it seems to be less common these days: 'with such and such/in such and such/thanking you, I am sincerely yours'

e.g.

+ other examples on Google: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22i+am+sincerely+yours%22+letter