2015 Rejection/“Plan B” Thread

LennyBound

Thank you for the helpful information. But I wonder whether late applicants will be considered for financial aid?

If I remember correctly, SFSU would still give financial support. CSULA and CSULB deadlines are quite late and if you submit an application it wouldn't be considered late. As for the British programs, they accept on a rolling bases. You would have to apply for external funding.

If I remember correctly, SFSU would still give financial support. CSULA and CSULB deadlines are quite late and if you submit an application it wouldn't be considered late. As for the British programs, they accept on a rolling bases. You would have to apply for external funding.

Quite useful information, thanks a lot.

Also received a rejection from TAMU (MA). Kindly worded but generic email from them. Strange - for some reason this rejection really bothered me. I wasn't a great fit at TAMU, but just knowing it was an MA that I was rejected from and not a Ph.D. I guess. 

Also received a rejection from TAMU (MA). Kindly worded but generic email from them. Strange - for some reason this rejection really bothered me. I wasn't a great fit at TAMU, but just knowing it was an MA that I was rejected from and not a Ph.D. I guess. 

Rejection from Texas A&M received today. Terse generic email, didn't even get a letter. 

Well, I don't like you either, TAMU. Sigh.

Just got rejected as well.

I think of all the MA programs, they would've been the best fit.

This doesn't bode well for my PhD apps, IMO.

Just got rejected as well.

I think of all the MA programs, they would've been the best fit.

This doesn't bode well for my PhD apps, IMO.

You never know. That's what I keep telling myself. I mean, my very first notification was a waitlist at Baylor and then its been all rejections since including to an MA. Anything can happen. 

Edited by Matt Bauer

Ya, I can see why one would think getting rejected from an MA is a bad sign for their PhD apps, and maybe it is, but you never know. These are just legends and I cannot confirm their veracity, but I have heard tales of someone that got rejected at Tufts and accepted outright to UNC, and of another who was waitlisted at Virginia and accepted outright to Harvard. 

Ya, I can see why one would think getting rejected from an MA is a bad sign for their PhD apps, and maybe it is, but you never know. These are just legends and I cannot confirm their veracity, but I have heard tales of someone that got rejected at Tufts and accepted outright to UNC, and of another who was waitlisted at Virginia and accepted outright to Harvard. 

These sorts of results are not just legends. I know that there were two students applying out of UW Milwaukee's MA program that the faculty there thought were likely to do well (this was from a class 2-3 years prior to mine). The first year they got shut out. The second year, one of them got into Harvard, the other into UNC (I think - it was a top program) but both were rejected from every other program they applied to. 

Granted, that isn't a case of someone being rejected from an MA but accepted to a PhD, but I don't see why it should be any different in that case. Admissions is unpredictable. 

Edited by Monadology

I'm the one who was rejected by Tufts and accepted to UNC.  So that definitely happened.  And the UVA waitlist/Harvard acceptance person was someone else from last year.  Strange things happen in philosophy admissions.  Admissions committees don't read application materials and then all select the same group of "objectively best" candidates.  Sometimes a particular writing sample will strike one faculty member and leave another cold.  A good letter of rec from an old friend can make an impression that others won't.  Sometimes programs want students interested in a particular area in their incoming class.  There are so many unpredictable factors in play that applicants ought not to predict their outcomes at some schools on the basis of their results from others.  

That would be me. 

It makes my day when I see that! Thank you!

Well in other news I got rejected to the PhD program from U. Chicago but referred to their MAPH program with a very nice personal email from James Conant. I may be deluded, but I have the feeling that if U. Chicago did waitlists I may have gotten a spot on it. How funny that an ultimate rejection made my day, because the email was a real compliment and just knowing that the U. Chicago adcom liked my app enough to put it up for MAPH just made me elated. I'll take ANY FLATTERY I CAN GET FOR MY TENDER EGO RIGHT NOW! I won't be applying because I do have the Temple offer at this time and I don't want to go through this hellish process again, but it was just so nice to hear some positive feedback.

Just to add to the accepted high rejected low scenario: so far I've been accepted outright at Pittsburgh, rejected from UCSD, and presumably rejected from Cornell.

Some possible explanations for this:

Pittsburgh: I have very high Pitt-fit. My most recent work has been on Kant and maths (which I used as my WS) and Kant and language.

UCSD: they have very little funding for internationals this year

Cornell: I applied very early. So early that I hadn't heard of the Sider and North move. Both Sider and North are all over my SOP.

This being said, I want to echo what has been said above--there are so many factors that can impact admission decisions. I think no single factor will outweigh all the others in most scenarios.

This whole process is a complete nightmare. Speculating helps only a tiny bit. I hope my scenario provides some solace. And good luck everyone!!

Missingshade, how do you know that you've been rejected due to little funding for international students? Is there really a different financial consideration from international or domestic students? I'm asking because I find this highly doubtful, even though I have nothing much to back myself up on. I'm an international student too. 

Edited by nietzxsche

Missingshade, how do you know that you've been rejected due to little funding for international students? Is there really a different financial consideration from international or domestic students? I'm asking because I find this highly doubtful, even though I have nothing much to back myself up on. I'm an international student too.

California does not allow international students to become residents, so they can't take advantage of the tuition break available to residents. This means that Californian schools have to spend more money on internationals for the entirety of their degrees. UCSD also explains this somewhere on their website. So they tend to accept a higher rate of Americans (which makes sense if they want a bigger first year group). You'll notice that this is confirmed by the acceptances posted on the results page for UCSD this year. As far as I know, this is not the case in other states.

As I said, I don't think it was a deal breaking factor, but it is the reason I was given over and above the generic rejection email that came yesterday. And I find an explanation more comforting than no explanation.

Edited by missing_shade_of_blue

ugh so close- applied to U. New Mexico's PhD program and just got accepted into their MA Program. The school was a great fit for me. I really wish that schools with both MAs and PhDs let you matriculate into the PhD programs upon successful completion of their MA programs. What a bummer. Very nice email though.