2015 Rejection/“Plan B” Thread

LennyBound

4 rejections, still 4 to go. This is the turning point to me and I feel kinda bad... I have really no idea about what to do if I get rejected everywhere. I feel like I am wasting years

4 rejections, still 4 to go. This is the turning point to me and I feel kinda bad... I have really no idea about what to do if I get rejected everywhere. I feel like I am wasting years

Is this your first year applying?

I didn't realize how hard it was to get into grad school for finance, but I only applied because I though I had a killer thesis idea.   I'm not the typical applicant, so I'd though I'd at least get interviews to explain my idea.  I guess I need to write a paper and get it published.    I already have a master in finance.  So if I can self publish a few papers, can I start applying for teaching/research positions?  Maybe getting a phd doesn't make sense for me.

I've seen a few people say they've been rejected from Columbia, but I haven't heard from them. Thus they haven't told me I'm on a wait list. Should I expect a rejection? I'm in the same situation with Toronto, but I've seen more people get admissions offers from them back in February.

I've seen a few people say they've been rejected from Columbia, but I haven't heard from them. Thus they haven't told me I'm on a wait list. Should I expect a rejection? I'm in the same situation with Toronto, but I've seen more people get admissions offers from them back in February.

Same situation here with both Columbia and Toronto. I'm presuming rejection at least from Columbia. It could've been an "internal waitlist" of sort - if enough people decline/remove from official waitlist, we'll hear from them. Nevertheless, I'm not holding my breath.

A lot of people are in this same situation, or will find themselves there soon enough if they're not satisfied with their application results. It's a little different for me since I'm on a two-year hiatus and I honestly don't know if I'll even end up applying next year. I might end up choosing a different field of grad studies because I don't find it likely that I'll enjoy the non-academic private sector long-term. 

Whelp. I'm basically shut-out. The schools I haven't heard from have already released acceptances and waitlists so its time to continue work on my plan b's. I fully plan on re-applying next year with some major changes in tactics. For me, those include using a different writing sample and applying to a different (but overlapping) set of schools. Primarily, I want to use a paper which is actually related to the field I want to study, as opposed to my MA thesis which is interesting in its own right, but is entirely passionless. There's no "voice," if you will, unlike my other paper. 

Now, we've all been told enough times that app committees don't care what the subject matter is, and I think that's generally true, but I think in this case it will be beneficial. 

Best of luck to everyone else and congratulations to all those who made it! I'm sure I'll see you in a year or two...

Whelp. I'm basically shut-out. The schools I haven't heard from have already released acceptances and waitlists so its time to continue work on my plan b's. I fully plan on re-applying next year with some major changes in tactics. For me, those include using a different writing sample and applying to a different (but overlapping) set of schools. Primarily, I want to use a paper which is actually related to the field I want to study, as opposed to my MA thesis which is interesting in its own right, but is entirely passionless. There's no "voice," if you will, unlike my other paper. 

Now, we've all been told enough times that app committees don't care what the subject matter is, and I think that's generally true, but I think in this case it will be beneficial. 

:( I'm sorry. I do agree that subject of the writing sample might make a difference. One admissions officer specifically mentioned the topic of my writing sample and said it worked in my favor that someone there does work on the same thing. Good luck

Has anyone still not heard from UC Davis or UC Riverside? I'm assuming rejection, but, c'mon, I feel like they notified the accepted people quite a while back, and I've seen rejection notifications too..

I have not heard from UC Davis and I don't think there were any rejection notifications from UC Davis.

Finally got rejected from Boston University. Added to my list with University of Oregon, University of Oklahoma, and Duke.

Still waiting on two more, but am not feeling very confident.

Feeling pretty bummed actually :(

Edited by TheQuakerMan

Received a rejection via post from the University of Georgia. I have it from an inside source that the department offers funding for to up to four students when it can, but usually only offers funding to one student each year.  

Best of luck to everyone else and congratulations to all those who made it! I'm sure I'll see you in a year or two...

Man, this has got to suck.

I am sorry, dude.

I was completely shut out after being waitlisted at one school. I thought I had better odds than this, given my letter writers thought I was an ideal candidate and that my writing sample was good. I had above average gre scores and a 4.0 equavelent (I attended an international graduate program) MA GPA. I am assuming my SOI was not that great and maybe some bad luck. Probably will not apply next year, it seems like a large expense (a year of my life, further stress and pain, plus money). I had viewed this application season as getting a job doing what I love. I know the goal of most is a tenure track job, but for me I simply wanted to continue researching in philosophy while also earning enough to live. I can continue to do philosophy while I work, but it'll be much harder.

I can't help but think if my undergraduate pedigree (I had a 3.5 overall and a 3.9 major GPA) were better, then I would not have been shut out. It didn't help that my waitlist rejection didn't come until the end of yesterday. Aftet being in close contact with the DGS for a couple weeks and then people finally made their decisions. I think I would have rather been rejected out right a month ago, so I could have been better applying for jobs and so my hopes wouldn't be raised up so much to be brought down so harshly. Sorry for the negative post, but that's what this thread was for, right? Well best wishes to all who got accepted, those who will try again and those who will move on to something else.