Masters Application Discussion - the latest and greatest.

chodson

All - 

Hoping to share thoughts/info on Masters level programs responses. I've applied to Yale, (1/15 - MARc, Ethics) BU, (2/1, MTS) and Duke (1/31, MTS). Duke e-mailed me a couple weeks ago and said they'd wave my application fee. Not too sure what that's all about. Interested to see how things shake out here. Yale says a decision would be posted on 3/14 online. I figured something hard-copy would be sent. Duke said 4-6 weeks. Not too sure with BU.

I applied to Duke as well, but didn't hear anything about an application waiver. I know Notre Dame gives fee waivers to ethnic minorities.

I have only heard from one of the programs I applied to so far, but I was accepted with funding so that is good. I did find out this week that Princeton never received the transcripts I sent to them so I won't considered for funding. They were not a top choice, but still stinks.

Edited by Isaac32

I'm waiting to hear back from Duke Divinity and BU school of Theology. I applied to both the first week in January to meet the priority deadline. So, I guess I'll continue to wait.

Did everyone who applied to UChicago Div receive an email yesterday about "Choosing the Right Graduate Program"? I'm grasping at straws here, but wouldn't an email about perspectives on choosing UChicago be best reserved for those already accepted? I'm hoping (in desperation) that maybe they've decided to move me into the accepted category and therefore a different newsletter list, but are waiting to release official decisions in a lump sum come early March since they stated that they will be reviewing applications in Jan. and Feb. and releasing decisions in early March.

Hey all!  

I applied to Duke, Union Theological, Vanderbilt, Yale, and Harvard for their Master of Divinity program (all by the priority deadlines) and have already heard back from Duke and Yale!  

Did anyone else apply to any of these schools?  I know that Harvard is pretty consistant with their mid-March responses for applicants, but I was wondering if anyone else knows when to expect a response from the others.  

I am now spending more time checking my email and looking at my phone for missed calls than I ever have in my whole life.  I just keep reminding myself to breathe...

Edited by BlueRoses7729

Did everyone who applied to UChicago Div receive an email yesterday about "Choosing the Right Graduate Program"? I'm grasping at straws here, but wouldn't an email about perspectives on choosing UChicago be best reserved for those already accepted? I'm hoping (in desperation) that maybe they've decided to move me into the accepted category and therefore a different newsletter list, but are waiting to release official decisions in a lump sum come early March since they stated that they will be reviewing applications in Jan. and Feb. and releasing decisions in early March.

I got that email, and didn't know what to think of it, either.  I applied to the PhD program though.

Pax,

Luke

I applied for the MA and received the same email.

I applied for the MA program at Chicago Divinity School and I got the same email yesterday about "Choosing the Right Graduate Program" and was like What. I already choose the right program. I saw it as a good omen, I mean getting email from a school means you are still on their radar/and or mailing list.

What was the context of the UChicago email? From the title, my initial reaction was "Oh, well that's a passive aggressive way to tell a PhD applicant that they're being moved to the M* list."

Which is exactly what Vanderbilt does to PhD applicants that won't get admitted but also don't have an M*, and it's VDS' way of saying, "try again once you get some more training."

What was the context of the UChicago email? From the title, my initial reaction was "Oh, well that's a passive aggressive way to tell a PhD applicant that they're being moved to the M* list."

Which is exactly what Vanderbilt does to PhD applicants that won't get admitted but also don't have an M*, and it's VDS' way of saying, "try again once you get some more training."

It's kind of a funny email since the title is misleading. It has a general intro: "There is much to consider when deciding which graduate program you will ultimately attend. Our best advice is to be sure you have identified the factors that matter most to you, and evaluate schools based on those criteria. This month, we asked some of our current students what they were looking for in their graduate education, and why they ultimately chose the University of Chicago." The rest is simply five students (including one from the div school) explaining why they chose UChicago. A title such as: "Why You Should Choose the University of Chicago for Graduate Education" would be more specific and relevant since it seems like they are trying to recruit us (beyond merely the application point, obviously). Also, there is no mention of PhD or MA, specifically (re: VDS's method).

I bet that if the adcoms saw this thread they would get a nice chuckle at my over-analysis of a simple, generic email. They could have so much fun toying with us.

Edited by tsgriffey

Hey all!

I applied to Duke, Union Theological, Vanderbilt, Yale, and Harvard for their Master of Divinity program (all by the priority deadlines) and have already heard back from Duke and Yale!

Did anyone else apply to any of these schools? I know that Harvard is pretty consistant with their mid-March responses for applicants, but I was wondering if anyone else knows when to expect a response from the others.

I am now spending more time checking my email and looking at my phone for missed calls than I ever have in my whole life. I just keep reminding myself to breathe...

I applied to Duke for the MDiv program by the priority deadline and havn't heard anything. Oh noooooo!!!

I've also heard HDS is pretty consistent with mid-March notifications. Does anyone know when Vanderbilt and Union might be sending out MDiv notifications?  I noticed on the results search, some Vandy MDiv/MTS notifications were sent out around this time the past couple of years.  Looks like there were a couple phone calls/emails in February and then some in March and into April... Anyone know anything about this?

I applied to Duke for the MDiv program by the priority deadline and havn't heard anything. Oh noooooo!!!

Oh gosh!  I'm sorry to cause any panic... I actually applied to the Duke "Early Deadline" on November 1st and they emailed me my acceptance on December 19th.  So, it was about 7 weeks before they got back to me. 

I've also heard HDS is pretty consistent with mid-March notifications. Does anyone know when Vanderbilt and Union might be sending out MDiv notifications?  I noticed on the results search, some Vandy MDiv/MTS notifications were sent out around this time the past couple of years.  Looks like there were a couple phone calls/emails in February and then some in March and into April... Anyone know anything about this?

Union is a rolling admissions process. I submitted my application last year around November or December, I think and heard back several weeks later.

Vanderbilt was mid to late February - some received notification the second week of February, mine came about a week after the first batch went out. I got an email to check my app status (said I was accepted) and later that evening I got a phone call to welcome me to VDS.

Oh gosh! I'm sorry to cause any panic... I actually applied to the Duke "Early Deadline" on November 1st and they emailed me my acceptance on December 19th. So, it was about 7 weeks before they got back to me.

Oh. Well that makes sense. I was so nervous and just basically accepted my fate of being denied.

Not any of the schools mentioned here, but I recently was informed of my acceptance to the MA in American Religious History at both The Florida State University and the University of Missouri.

Also applied to HDS (MTS), VDS (MTS), Ole Miss, and UGA.