Masters Application Discussion - the latest and greatest.

chodson

Yes, congrats all! So, given that cost of living is quite a bit cheaper in Durham than it is in Princeton I just need to figure out how much funding Duke needs to offer to make it worth accepting their offer over PTS's. Thoughts?

Yes, congrats all! So, given that cost of living is quite a bit cheaper in Durham than it is in Princeton I just need to figure out how much funding Duke needs to offer to make it worth accepting their offer over PTS's. Thoughts?

I am not so sure its that different given the room & board fees I have seen at PTS which seem quite reasonable and subsidized. The 90% tuition at PTS is also very tempting.  My only reservation with PTS is that the MA(TS) is very small currently (4-5 students) and just opened up to domestic students.  

I am not so sure its that different given the room & board fees I have seen at PTS which seem quite reasonable and subsidized. The 90% tuition at PTS is also very tempting.  My only reservation with PTS is that the MA(TS) is very small currently (4-5 students) and just opened up to domestic students.  

Given PTS's faculty reputation, and that the MA(TS) is set up like a MTS program, I can't imagine it having any drawbacks. What in particular do you find concerning?

Given PTS's faculty reputation, and that the MA(TS) is set up like a MTS program, I can't imagine it having any drawbacks. What in particular do you find concerning?

No major concerns with faculty etc...  They do have a substantial number of Phd students (87 I think).  It's just forging new ground makes me relatively uncomfortable as compared to say Duke or Yale, but that too might be unfair as the MA(TS) program has been in place for International Students for while but currently only 4 students. Again, PTS is a really great place from what I see. Yale and Duke have reputations for their Ethics work which is what my interest is.  I think if I were concentrating in another area I would probably choose PTS but honestly I don't think you can go wrong with them.  

Well, it is official. Formally accepted offer from FSU's MA in American Religious History. Tuition waiver, $10,500 stipend (along with summer funding once residency is established), and a TA position. Top choice, very excited.

Congratulations to everyone this application cycle! I have been looking through old threads today, and it is exciting and rewarding seeing people like the above poster (HNV721) make the thread "JUDGE ME" and now learning he (?) excelled. The forum is extraordinary for such a time-capsule, narrative feature. 

Quick (self-serving) question: for those who applied to MTS programs, did you contact your POI in addition to mentioning her/him in the statement, or merely the latter? 

Someone posted on the results database that they received a full scholarship to Duke. Was it someone here? Has anyone heard back from Duke about funding?

I see this on the results page => "Unofficially notified of my nomination for full, Petrie scholarship" Is that what you are referring to?  It was posted on same day that admission notifications were sent?  I assume they were referring to the Ray C. Petry Scholarships (M.T.S.) which is a full ride!  Not sure what "Unofficially" means.  Oh well.  I have a feeling that Duke is not going to be near as generous as PTS or Yale.  Just a gut.  

I see this on the results page => "Unofficially notified of my nomination for full, Petrie scholarship" Is that what you are referring to?  It was posted on same day that admission notifications were sent?  I assume they were referring to the Ray C. Petry Scholarships (M.T.S.) which is a full ride!  Not sure what "Unofficially" means.  Oh well.  I have a feeling that Duke is not going to be near as generous as PTS or Yale.  Just a gut.  

Actually, it was under the Notre Dame MTS results. The poster said "Surprised to have been rejected given 5 full scholarship offers from Emory, Duke, Yale, Princeton T.S., and Harvard". Perhaps it was the same person?

What a punch in the gut! I just received two e-mails from Duke Divinity School pertaining to my financial aid award. The first thing to catch my eye in the first e-mail was "Duke Scholarship (100%)," which I thought meant I had received a full tuition scholarship. Unfortunately, when I received the second e-mail it said "MTS Scholarship 22%." 

Oh well. I am still grateful to have been considered for and accepted with some sort of scholarship to the program. 

What a punch in the gut! I just received two e-mails from Duke Divinity School pertaining to my financial aid award. The first thing to catch my eye in the first e-mail was "Duke Scholarship (100%)," which I thought meant I had received a full tuition scholarship. Unfortunately, when I received the second e-mail it said "MTS Scholarship 22%." 

Oh well. I am still grateful to have been considered for and accepted with some sort of scholarship to the program. 

Same exact thing happened to me.  You would think after all this time.......  I don't know about you but I think I will accept the first offer!!!

Same exact thing happened to me.  You would think after all this time.......  I don't know about you but I think I will accept the first offer!!!

Yeah, I've been leaning towards PTSem anyways. A lot of good resources for me there. Are you going with Yale, then?

Yeah, I've been leaning towards PTSem anyways. A lot of good resources for me there. Are you going with Yale, then?

Still weighing both Yale and Duke although Yale was much more generous.  PTS was 90% tuition and the rates for board were heavily subsidized.  With my concentration in Ethics, PTS did not make as much sense but in all other concentrations it would be a no brainer to go to PTS. My plan is to attend the admitted student days at both Yale and Duke and do a bit more POI research then I will be ready to make the call.    

Same thing happened to me. All of my correspondence with them has been pretty terrible.

Still waiting! Several have gotten responses in the results page, though I wonder if our particular sub-fields are still meeting...

Thanks for the response! My guess is they have a deadline of April 1st and will wait till then. I'm going to send an email if I haven't heard by then.

Thanks for the response! My guess is they have a deadline of April 1st and will wait till then. I'm going to send an email if I haven't heard by then.

Did you end up emailing Oxford? I have another offer to which I have to respond by April 10. I'll probably take it if I don't hear back from them soon.

Did you end up emailing Oxford? I have another offer to which I have to respond by April 10. I'll probably take it if I don't hear back from them soon.

Just sent an email. It's the middle of the night over there so should hear back by tomorrow morning.

Got an email about an hour ago and I've been accepted! I was told that I'll recieve "an initial offer letter in the mail shortly," maybe that's in the works for you as well, RedDoor.

Got an email about an hour ago and I've been accepted! I was told that I'll recieve "an initial offer letter in the mail shortly," maybe that's in the works for you as well, RedDoor.

Congratulations! Did you contact your POI or the graduate admissions folks? I'll probably send an email tonight.