Masters Application Discussion - the latest and greatest.

chodson

Perhaps it's a good time to practice mindfulness as we wait for HDS results....instead of anxiously refreshing the application page, this thread, and the results search page ;)

Narrrrr.

Perhaps it's a good time to practice mindfulness as we wait for HDS results....instead of anxiously refreshing the application page, this thread, and the results search page ;)

You just accurately described the last two days (ahem.. a week) of my life! I also called HDS and was told that decisions would be sent out "in the middle of the month", whatever that means  :wacko: I think I need to find something else to do...

You just accurately described the last two days (ahem.. a week) of my life! I also called HDS and was told that decisions would be sent out "in the middle of the month", whatever that means  :wacko: I think I need to find something else to do...

I also called them at the beginning of the week and they said the same thing, "in the middle of the month, so please be patient." 

Sigh* Back to writing.

Does the "middle of the month" technically mean Monday? 

Probably at this rate. With YDS releasing on Sunday, I would not be shocked if it is Monday for HDS.

E-mailed the office this morning, here's the response:

Thank you for your message. 

Unfortunately, as office policy, we are unable to specify the exact date in March that we will release decisions. That said, I completely understand your concern as you weigh your other options and anxiously await news from HDS. It is with this type of concern in mind that most graduate schools of religion have agreed upon April 15 as the universal response deadline, for the express reason that students like yourself will not be forced to make tough decisions without having heard back from all schools. While other schools might pressure you to respond sooner, most cannot officially require you to commit before this deadline. I would encourage you to remind any such schools about this universal policy, as we will not be releasing our decisions any earlier than mid-March.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions

I think it's safe to say we will have at least the weekend to ponder what our future holds, or at least ponder whether or not it will include Harvard.

Enjoy the weekend!

-Dale

E-mailed the office this morning, here's the response:

Thank you for your message. 

Unfortunately, as office policy, we are unable to specify the exact date in March that we will release decisions. That said, I completely understand your concern as you weigh your other options and anxiously await news from HDS. It is with this type of concern in mind that most graduate schools of religion have agreed upon April 15 as the universal response deadline, for the express reason that students like yourself will not be forced to make tough decisions without having heard back from all schools. While other schools might pressure you to respond sooner, most cannot officially require you to commit before this deadline. I would encourage you to remind any such schools about this universal policy, as we will not be releasing our decisions any earlier than mid-March.

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions

I think it's safe to say we will have at least the weekend to ponder what our future holds, or at least ponder whether or not it will include Harvard.

Enjoy the weekend!

-Dale

Thanks for doing that. Hopefully we know by the 15th. Would be great if YDS and HDS released around the same time.

Got the WMU offer in the mail yesterday: TAship (13.5 hrs/week) comes with resident tuition waiver and small stipend. This will be great as I already am a resident, so tuition will be covered and my partner already has her dream job in the area. Will require a 45min commute, but thats a tradeoff I'm willing to take considering I won't have to pay much (fee's etc.) for the degree.

Feeling fortunate as this is 1 of 2 programs I applied to (due to the logistics of not being able to move). I'm not a big poster, but have benefited greatly from all your advice here, so thanks! 

I fear we may be waiting out the HDS decisions longer than we think. According to Harvard's website, their spring break is scheduled for 3/14-3/22. If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from them til 3/23 or later since offices will be closed. 

Is anyone having problems checking their status at the Yale ISM site? Got an email to say that there is an update on the site, but can't find any update there on my application page.

Have you heard anything more from them? Decisions should be coming out today at 12:30 PM EST, either way... Unless the ISM is on a different schedule from the rest of YDS which would surprise me.

I fear we may be waiting out the HDS decisions longer than we think. According to Harvard's website, their spring break is scheduled for 3/14-3/22. If that's the case, then I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear from them til 3/23 or later since offices will be closed. 

I doubt they would make us wait that long. Especially since YDS is releasing their results today at 12:30pm EST. My guess is probably today or tomorrow. Perhaps no later than Wednesday. 

I doubt they would make us wait that long. Especially since YDS is releasing their results today at 12:30pm EST. My guess is probably today or tomorrow. Perhaps no later than Wednesday.

I hope you're right! But why would YDS' date of release matter for HDS? Do they coordinate these kinds of things?

I hope you're right! But why would YDS' date of release matter for HDS? Do they coordinate these kinds of things?

No, just a hunch. My logic is if people are applying to HDS, they are applying to YDS as well and given the "brand" I figured they would want students to compare sooner rather then later. But just a hunch. Plus from previous years from what I am told, they have been released at close dates.

FYI University offices do not close during Spring Break.  Only the students are off during that time.  So, I do not think that will affect the decision release date.  

Accepted to Yale's MARc in Ethics! The official email has not been sent out as of now, so I had to log on to my application to check the status myself. No funding info either.