Masters Application Discussion - the latest and greatest.

chodson

Rejected by HDS as well. But I did get a smallish funding package from Western Michigan. I don't know about the cost of living in Kalamazoo, so it's still up in the air for me I guess. 

Cost of living in West Michigan (Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, etc.) is pretty reasonable. If you end up at WMU let me know as I'll be attending in the fall. 

Just spoke to the admissions offices at Notre Dame and  Duke Divinity, and they said they are hoping to release MTS decisions by Friday.

Edited by Isaac32

Just spoke to the admissions offices at Notre Dame and  Duke Divinity, and they said they are hoping to release MTS decisions by Friday.

I am not bothering to wait for Duke Div. I do not think their program is the right fit for me regardless. I am off to New Haven. Yale, here I come!

I am not bothering to wait for Duke Div. I do not think their program is the right fit for me regardless. I am off to New Haven. Yale, here I come!

Great choice!!! Sorry for accidentally hitting the wrong button. Best of luck to everyone waiting on Notre Dame :)

Wonder if Yale admits would like to start some sort of discussion group here or offline? I got into Yale/ISM for MARc Liturgical studies and would appreciate some preparatory chat...

Congrats!! Did you get a full ride for a MAR/ISM? The new Facebook group is always a great place to chat. 

Just returned from visiting both Yale and PTS.  Both great programs and really friendly and welcoming.  Leaning Yale though for my particular degree (MARc Ethics).  Waiting on Duke decision.  Giving up on Notre Dame.  I think if it were a yes I would have heard by now.

I was notified of admission to the Notre Dame MTS already by March 5, but maybe they're still making decisions. Holding my thumbs for the rest of you who haven't heard back yet - maybe we'll be classmates!

Based on results posted from previous years, nobody has been accepted after March 15th, so I am wagering I will be receiving my rejection soon. Too bad, it will be my third time being rejected by their MTS.

Hey, does anybody know about German for Reading courses at YDS? Apparently they aren't considered elective courses. Do students take them alongside a full course load? Do they pay extra tuition to enroll in them? I really need to some German reading skills to prep me for Ph.D studies.

"The courses French for Reading and German for Reading are not eligible for elective credit."
http://www.yale.edu/printer/bulletin/htmlfiles/div/other-curricular-considerations.html

German for Reading is offered as a two part year long course every year (the fall semester goes through a Grammer book, the spring is further reading). You are right in that they can't be taken as electives, and so must be taken in addition to a regular course load. However, there is no extra tuition charge for taking a fifth course so no problem there.

German for Reading is offered as a two part year long course every year (the fall semester goes through a Grammer book, the spring is further reading). You are right in that they can't be taken as electives, and so must be taken in addition to a regular course load. However, there is no extra tuition charge for taking a fifth course so no problem there.

Thanks for the info. Is German for Reading graded like other classes or is it pass/fail? 

Just returned from visiting both Yale and PTS.  Both great programs and really friendly and welcoming.  Leaning Yale though for my particular degree (MARc Ethics).  Waiting on Duke decision.  Giving up on Notre Dame.  I think if it were a yes I would have heard by now.

I'm also accepted to Yale's MARc in Ethics! Would you mind sharing some thoughts on why Yale is strong for this particular area? I'm trying to decide between YDS and a similar program from HDS. Thanks! :) 

Notre Dame decisions posted, or at least mine was. I am honestly surprised that I wasn't accepted this time. I have multiple publications under my belt, university teaching experience, and an MA in religious history. Oh well. Congrats to those who were accepted.

Anyone else get word from Duke? Funding? I am really curious whether Duke didn't offer me funding or just that it has simply not gone out yet. 

I think everyone gets at least 22% off tuition, but don't quote me on that. My letter of acceptance states "You will receive your scholarship package early next week." Does yours not say the same?

I think everyone gets at least 22% off tuition, but don't quote me on that. My letter of acceptance states "You will receive your scholarship package early next week." Does yours not say the same?

Congrats everyone who got into Duke! My letter states the same, "early next week".