2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

Why though? Why not wait? Do you get some benefit from accepting early? It sounds like that's what you want to do, and it's your choice to make of course, I'm just not sure I see why you would accept something this early if you think you might rescind your acceptance..

In fact, there's every reason to wait. Some programs will bump up their funding late in the game to sweeten the deal. Obvi the waitlist people want those above them to pull the trigger, but in all honesty an accepted applicant has no reason to rush into a decision. The holdup is with the schools (nudge nudge UCLA Stanford and Columbia) that wait till March to release and have their prospective weekends in April. 

Yeah philstudent, that's what I was saying. It was in response to the person above me who seemed like they thought they wanted to accept a program early when they still were on a wait list at their top choice. I didn't understand what possible benefit accepting early would have.

Has anyone heard any more from Colorado? I got notified of my wait list, I responded, and then nothing. Is that normal? All my other places responded after that..

Yeah philstudent, that's what I was saying. It was in response to the person above me who seemed like they thought they wanted to accept a program early when they still were on a wait list at their top choice. I didn't understand what possible benefit accepting early would have.

Has anyone heard any more from Colorado? I got notified of my wait list, I responded, and then nothing. Is that normal? All my other places responded after that..

I just emailed Colorado a couple of days ago, also on the wait list, and they said there has been no change to report, as no one has moved off of the wait list in the past few weeks. 

Was waitlisted at Notre Dame at the beginning of March.  Does anybody know when their department visits take place, and is anybody planning on turning down their offer?  

I PMed you.

I'm in the same situation - waitlisted at ND, wondering how their department visits went. I believe it already passed, but I'd take any insight you're offering up. It's one of my top schools!

The MA program at University of British Columbia says that applicants should here by the end of March. Is it rude to email and ask about my status? Has anyone heard anything from this program?

Thanks! :)

Does anybody know when visits to the University of Oklahoma take place? thanks!

The "official" visiting dates took place at the beginning of this week, although a couple of students also visited earlier in the month because they were unable to join the other students on the 24th and 25th. 

I'm waitlisted at Chapel Hill and am not sure how much time I should be putting into considering the possibility that I'll get in. When I initially asked about visiting, the response was, "You’d be welcome to visit, and sometimes people do—as long as you wouldn’t feel awkward?" The email was very nice, but the question mark left me feeling like visiting would be an unusual choice. But as the decision deadline approaches, I'm realizing that if I got into Chapel Hill at the last minute, there's no way I'd be able to accept the offer sight unseen. Is anyone waitlisted at Chapel Hill and visiting?

Hey, PreciselyTerrified. Same situation as you. UNC is the only school I'm considering (if I get in) that I haven't been to before, and it's so far from where I now call home that I'm considering visiting. I think it probably would feel awkward (isn't it pretty awkward of them to SAY that?!), but I think they should also understand that we are likely going to have about 12 hours to make a huge decision, so we want to know as many variables as possible. So I might be visiting, but I'm not yet sure if I can gather the finances.

Edited by mjf1240

I'm waitlisted at Chapel Hill and am not sure how much time I should be putting into considering the possibility that I'll get in. When I initially asked about visiting, the response was, "You’d be welcome to visit, and sometimes people do—as long as you wouldn’t feel awkward?" The email was very nice, but the question mark left me feeling like visiting would be an unusual choice. But as the decision deadline approaches, I'm realizing that if I got into Chapel Hill at the last minute, there's no way I'd be able to accept the offer sight unseen. Is anyone waitlisted at Chapel Hill and visiting?

Hey, PreciselyTerrified. Same situation as you. UNC is the only school I'm considering (if I get in) that I haven't been to before, and it's so far from where I now call home that I'm considering visiting. I think it probably would feel awkward (isn't it pretty awkward of them to SAY that?!), but I think they should also understand that we are likely going to have about 12 hours to make a huge decision, so we want to know as many variables as possible. So I might be visiting, but I'm not yet sure if I can gather the finances.

Don't feel awkward, and don't hesitate to go. This is one of the biggest decisions you'll make in a long time, and you should do it with as much information as possible. I'd encourage you to both go with the mindset that you had been accepted, and then figure out what you think based on that.

I will say, in case this changes anything, there were about 20 perspectives at the UNC visit and I believe all of them were accepted. While many of them had other really great offers they were considering I know of at least 3 people (including myself) who planned on or already accepted. That's about half their normal cohort size, iirc. 

I will say, in case this changes anything, there were about 20 perspectives at the UNC visit and I believe all of them were accepted. While many of them had other really great offers they were considering I know of at least 3 people (including myself) who planned on or already accepted. That's about half their normal cohort size, iirc. 

Oh wow, yeah. That does kind of make a difference. Probably won't be spending the money travelling out there, now. Thanks for the advice. Congrats on getting in!

unreal how different the approaches are at these various programs! 20 offers at UNC versus 5 offers at UW-Madison! In that case, does UNC have a tiny waitlist as opposed to Madison's enormous one? I know there was the decline at Madison early this week, but nobody has mentioned being accepted off the waitlist. Perhaps someone who doesn't post here has been offered the spot.

unreal how different the approaches are at these various programs! 20 offers at UNC versus 5 offers at UW-Madison! In that case, does UNC have a tiny waitlist as opposed to Madison's enormous one? I know there was the decline at Madison early this week, but nobody has mentioned being accepted off the waitlist. Perhaps someone who doesn't post here has been offered the spot.

According to my mentor, who is a professor at Notre Dame, among all schools this year had more qualified students than any year most of the professors had ever seen.

Edited by mjf1240

Well, I think the person who said s/he was going to decline UW-Madison said s/he already told the department of the intention to decline, but couldn't yet officially decline because s/he hadn't received the official offer yet. If that's the case, then Madison won't admit anyone off of the wait list for a little while longer, at least not until the official decline is in. I think their post is in the "decisions" thread. There must be a reason why Madison has such a long wait list. I imagine that a lot of people decline for one reason or another, and so they need a long list. It just doesn't make sense to make things more difficult by needlessly filling up the list with names of people who they think don't have a good shot at being accepted. But also in the decisions thread, I think someone said Colorado had a long wait list of around 30, and that they only had spots for 4 students. BUT the professor said that they usually go through about half of the wait list. So that's good, maybe that means things will be similar for UW Madison. I mean, going through half of a wait list of 30 means about a 50% chance of acceptance off of the wait list. Not bad, in my opinion.

Edited by riverstyx

I was told the waitlist at UNC is very short.

Oh wow, yeah. That does kind of make a difference. Probably won't be spending the money travelling out there, now. Thanks for the advice. Congrats on getting in!

Thanks. That does suggest to me that I probably will remain on the waitlist, but I think I would like to visit. In the event that I got in, I would need to have visited in order to even consider the offer, and if it's April 14, the chance will have passed.