2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

Hey, PreciselyTerrified. Same situation as you. UNC is the only school I'm considering (if I get in) that I haven't been to before, and it's so far from where I now call home that I'm considering visiting. I think it probably would feel awkward (isn't it pretty awkward of them to SAY that?!), but I think they should also understand that we are likely going to have about 12 hours to make a huge decision, so we want to know as many variables as possible. So I might be visiting, but I'm not yet sure if I can gather the finances.

I know what you mean. I really don't feel awkward about visiting. It's not like it's shameful to be on the waitlist. I mean, the point in going isn't to suck up or make puppy eyes at them -- it's to see what it's like there, and that's important.

Totally. Even if you feel a tiny bit awkward, that's nowhere near as weird as you might feel having to make a decision on where you're going to be for the next 5-7 years without having ever been there. At least that's how I see it!

unreal how different the approaches are at these various programs! 20 offers at UNC versus 5 offers at UW-Madison! In that case, does UNC have a tiny waitlist as opposed to Madison's enormous one? I know there was the decline at Madison early this week, but nobody has mentioned being accepted off the waitlist. Perhaps someone who doesn't post here has been offered the spot.

Slight update:

Madison made 6 offers, but one accepted without visit (from out of the continent).

I have told them that I declined, but I still haven't received the official offer yet, and so cannot officially decline. I don't know if they'll have to wait for people to officially decline before they can take wait listers. (I suspect that they don't, though.)

If I understand sidebysondheim correctly, UNC made 20 offers for 10 spots (usual cohort size). If they get more than 10, they may be able to wiggle and swallow, and take fewer next year. I gather that there's very little wiggle room at UWM, which is probably why they're particularly cautious about the offers they made.

I think he meant that UNC's normal cohort size was 6, and half of that (3) had already accepted. I know a professor there who said that 6 is usually how many they take per year. 20 offers to get 6 seems extremely dangerous, so they may be taking more than usual this year.

Anyone have any information on Ohio State? I've gotten lots of helpful information here from people talking about UWMadison, ND, and UNC, but nothing about OSU, where I am also waitlisted. I have no idea how many people they usually admit/waitlist... was wondering if anyone had a scoop on that one?

I think he meant that UNC's normal cohort size was 6, and half of that (3) had already accepted. I know a professor there who said that 6 is usually how many they take per year. 20 offers to get 6 seems extremely dangerous, so they may be taking more than usual this year.

Yeah, i believe their website says 6-8 cohort size. 

Anyone have any information on Ohio State? I've gotten lots of helpful information here from people talking about UWMadison, ND, and UNC, but nothing about OSU, where I am also waitlisted. I have no idea how many people they usually admit/waitlist... was wondering if anyone had a scoop on that one?

I am also waitlisted at OSU. In my most recent e-mail to the DGS I was told that (1) the waitlist is not ranked, and (2) given the diversity of factors they consider when making offers they can't really make predictions on how it will move "before April." 

If you don't mind me asking what are your areas of interest? Also do you have any sense how long the waitlist is? They apparently want an incoming class of no more than six.

No idea about size of waitlist, but I did just get an email today from Lisa Downing saying that she thinks they are definitely going to be dipping into the waitlist pool. So, there's something. I see you were also accepted at Missouri, so we might end up at the same place. :-D

My AOI are metaethics/moral philosophy/value theory, and philosophy of religion. OSU has a fantastic Phil of Science program, which I see is one of your interests.

Is it common for departments to take a while to send new offers after people reject previous ones? It's been a silent period in the past two weeks.

Edited by reixis

I know what you mean. I really don't feel awkward about visiting. It's not like it's shameful to be on the waitlist. I mean, the point in going isn't to suck up or make puppy eyes at them -- it's to see what it's like there, and that's important.

Well, I got an email today saying they closed the waitlist. :-( Any luck?

Is it common for departments to take a while to send new offers after people reject previous ones? It's been a silent period in the past two weeks.

Did you send any email for an update? I am also waiting to hear back.

Hi everyone, I was waitlisted at two universities. At the first one I was 'offered admission' but 'waitlisted for TAship'; at the second, I was just waitlisted for a 'funded spot' (without being 'offered admission'). Is there any relevant difference? Should I answer differently, or equally wait in both cases? Does the first covers tuition for example? (I'll probably ask for more information directly from both departments, but I am unfamiliar with the application system in US. So could you please clarify what is usually the case. How would you interpret these results prima facie?)

Edited by Theseus

Hi everyone, I was waitlisted at two universities. At the first one I was 'offered admission' but 'waitlisted for TAship'; at the second, I was just waitlisted for a 'funded spot' (without being 'offered admission'). Is there any relevant difference? Should I answer differently, or equally wait in both cases? Does the first covers tuition for example? (I'll probably ask for more information directly from both departments, but I am unfamiliar with the application system in US. So could you please clarify what is usually the case. How would you interpret these results prima facie?)

You should ask the department that offered you admission exactly what "waitlisted for TAship" means. It's unclear as stated whether you can assume a tuition waiver.

The salient difference between these two results is that you now can choose to attend the first university, possibly without funding, whereas it's still possible that you will be rejected by the second university. If you can afford to pay your own way through the program at the first university, this is very good news. If you can't, and if the funding doesn't come through, then you will be forced to either decline the offer or find another source of funding, such as external fellowships or loans.

So I am on UMD's waitlist and I am just starting to get waitlist-fever a bit. I know there are 10 days left, but... agh!

Here's what I know:

* UMD hasn't accepted anyone off their waitlist yet (which I think is about 22 long).

* UMD is admitting 5, but they sent out 10 initial acceptances (They are expecting 5-7 to reject their initial acceptance offers). 

* To date: 4 of the initial acceptances have definitely rejected the offer (1 from Georgetown, 2 from GSU, & 1 from gradcafe-IWokeUpLikeThis).

* To date, at least 1 of the initial acceptances have accepted (an aesthetics person). 

* That leaves 5 of the initial acceptances I don't know the status about...

Of the 5 left, 1 has an offer from UW-Seattle that they are deciding between and another 1 is waitlisted at Madison which I suspect they will take if offered. I am not sure what the other 3 might be deciding between.

It's probably gonna come down to the 15th for me, but I am kinda losing my mind here. I guess I am just looking to express my situation to people who would understand and sympathize. 

Anyone else on UMD's waitlist?

Edited by herenowagain