2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

I'm still wait listed at UW Madison and CU Boulder! I contacted Madison and they said I'm with a group of people at the top of the waitlist.

I'm deciding whether in my situation it might be useful to pursue an MA first at GSU. It's hard because UConn is excellent for what I want to do and has such great placement. GSU is also great for what I want to do but obviously I want a PhD eventually. But there's a tiny part of me that likes the idea of having an open future after 2 years where I can apply again to PhD's in Philosophy, perhaps I will decide to also apply to PhD's in Psychology or Neuroscience too since i find myself at the intersection between the disciplines mostly. Then I flip around and think if I just go straight into PhD I will be done more quickly, or if I decide I hate it (very unlikely) could always get the MA on the way and transfer out, etc etc. All my weighted decision tables come out exactly equal +/- 0.02 utility points and so I'm asking my "gut" for help but it's being conveniently silent.

If you haven't already, you should check out WUSTL's Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology program. Seems like a good fit for your interests, and an MA from GSU seems like it would be attractive to the admissions committee there.

If you haven't already, you should check out WUSTL's Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology program. Seems like a good fit for your interests, and an MA from GSU seems like it would be attractive to the admissions committee there.

Thank you for the input. Indeed it was one of my top choices. I just can't bank on getting in there is all, I know it is competitive and my undergraduate GPA is poor- so part of me wants to take the opportunity for a good PhD while I have it

I only applied to one program this year. 

I had been shutout from all the schools I applied in two years of applying, so this year I only applied to my best chance/fit. This gave me time to really tailor my application to Maryland's department. Plus, I really couldn't put myself through the process of applying to tons of programs and being rejected again.

It paid off in the end. I was accepted to Maryland this afternoon.

I had been shutout from all the schools I applied in two years of applying, so this year I only applied to my best chance/fit. This gave me time to really tailor my application to Maryland's department. Plus, I really couldn't put myself through the process of applying to tons of programs and being rejected again.

How fabulous to hear!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

BALLSY.

Congrats!

BALLSY.

Congrats!

Yeah, I had pretty much given up the last time I was shut out. But I was able to muster the ambition to try at the one school that was my best shot.

I wouldn't recommend anyone follow my example. Apply to lots of schools people! But it does show how tailoring your applications to specific schools and really selling them on your "fit" can benefit you. 

Edited by herenowagain

Rejected from UCLA this morning so guess I'll never know if I made it on the mysterious internal waitlist. 

UW-Madison is my last chance before officially calling it a shutout. I still haven't heard anything so it looks like I'm not getting off this anxiety roller coaster until the very end. 

Well my waitlist at Rice did not turn into an offer. I doubt if I'll apply again next year. Hopefully by not applying, and assuming I would have been accepted, someone in a similar situation to mine will get in instead of where I would have.

Edited by TheJabberwock

I'm wondering if there are any folks here who have been offered admission to Marquette and are thinking about turning it down? I'm curious as I have now been moved to the top wait-list spot...  :(  <_<  -_-  :blink:

I am wondering the same thing. I am still awaiting word from Marquette. I must say it does feel a bit silly at this point not to know what is going on.

Have you not heard anything? Dr.Tobin will gladly let you know if you're on the wait-list.

I'm wondering if there are any folks here who have been offered admission to Marquette and are thinking about turning it down? I'm curious as I have now been moved to the top wait-list spot...  :(  <_<  -_-  :blink:

I imagine I must be just behind you. I hope you get that spot!