2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

Waitlisted at Yale! The email described it as a "small handful" but no information on ranking or anything like that was provided. Fingers crossed for some sort of movement off the list (but I seriously doubt most people reject a Yale acceptance, so my chances of moving off probably aren't that good).

Edited by dullandwitlessboy

Yeah sorry, I didn't see the separate waitlist thread either. Anyway, I was waitlisted (toward the top, apparently) at Indiana a few days ago. DGA there is very gracious. (Already in at Northwestern though, so not super worried)

Hi, I'm currently waitlisted at UPenn, and accepted with funding at one other (less desired) school. Does anyone have any info about the probability of getting an offer at UPenn off the waitlist? is there anyone here who is accepted there but has declined or plans to decline? Any news really help me out. Thanks so much

Edited by marshmallowy

Hi, I'm currently waitlisted at UPenn, and accepted with funding at one other (less desired) school. Does anyone have any info about the probability of getting an offer at UPenn off the waitlist? is there anyone here who is accepted there but has declined or plans to decline? Any news really help me out. Thanks so much

All that I know is that the list is divided by areas. So if someone of your area of interest gives up, you're most likely to be on the list for that spot.

I'm not sure about the probability of the getting an offer from the waitlist, but Penn's website says that they usually make 11 to 15 offers aiming for a class of 5 or 6 students. If those 15 students include those on the waitlist, then you might expect the list to be short. 

thanks a lot. Though, it seems from that wording that those offers don't include the waitlst, don't you think? or do you think they do?

Judging from the results posted, it seems like these numbers are sensitive to waitlisted candidates who get latter offers. There were three acceptances initially posted and then waitlists started to appear. But it is really hard to say, given that not everyone uses GC and I've also heard that many departments make more initial offers aiming at a smaller class.

right, my reasoning too, though the alternative, of course, is that they simply released the waitlists later. Will keep you posted if I have any info! we're in different areas so, since the waitlist appears to be by interest, we shouldn't be in competition anyway. Very best of luck with the rest of your results!

Waitlisted here as well. Hoping to hear something soon as they are my top choice.

Best of luck! It's definitely my top choice, too. What are your areas of research?

As for me, 19th & 20th Continental; Social & Political; History of Phil.

Let's hope we both get off the waitlist! I do wonder how many "alternates" there are as well...

Question about Texas A&M- I didn't apply there- but is it true that if you enter their PhD program, you are required to get an additional MA in another field of study? Quite rigorous!

I didn't apply there either, but that would be a pretty cool requirement.

Edit: Posted before seeing the reply above mine. Oops. That's awesome, though.

Edited by Page228

Waitlisted at Texas A&M (MA)

Congrats, I hope you get in. A&M's looking pretty good for logic-y stuff. They've just picked up Easwaran this year, but already before had Burch, Menzel, and Hand. Those middle two also have had pretty good placement rate records.

Congrats, I hope you get in. A&M's looking pretty good for logic-y stuff. They've just picked up Easwaran this year, but already before had Burch, Menzel, and Hand. Those middle two also have had pretty good placement rate records.

Thanks! Yea, I applied there because they have a lot of faculty members that are interested in different topics in logic.

Congrats! :)

I applied there, but no such news yet. :/

I Hope you receive an acceptance soon.

right, my reasoning too, though the alternative, of course, is that they simply released the waitlists later. Will keep you posted if I have any info! we're in different areas so, since the waitlist appears to be by interest, we shouldn't be in competition anyway. Very best of luck with the rest of your results!

Thanks! I'll let you know if I heard any news too. Hopefully we will get offers soon. 

Best of luck! It's definitely my top choice, too. What are your areas of research?

As for me, 19th & 20th Continental; Social & Political; History of Phil.

Let's hope we both get off the waitlist! I do wonder how many "alternates" there are as well...

I've heard 5 admitted with 5 on the waitlist.

AOI- feminist epistemology, social and political, critical race theory.

Best of luck. Hopefully we hear news soon!

I've heard 5 admitted with 5 on the waitlist.

AOI- feminist epistemology, social and political, critical race theory.

Best of luck. Hopefully we hear news soon!

This is very helpful. Thank you so much! I was too timid to ask about specifics with regard to the waitlist, so this is good to hear.

Til Nashville! :)