2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

I have a quick thought: I know many people here are anxiously waiting for news concerning positions on waitlists. Is it permissible, perhaps, to start a separate thread for accepted applicants to note when they have declined offers? I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this already exists somewhere...

Of course, just a thought.

Thanks!

I have a quick thought: I know many people here are anxiously waiting for news concerning positions on waitlists. Is it permissible, perhaps, to start a separate thread for accepted applicants to note when they have declined offers? I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this already exists somewhere...

Of course, just a thought.

Thanks!

That's a great idea. 

Thanks! Yea, I applied there because they have a lot of faculty members that are interested in different topics in logic.

I Hope you receive an acceptance soon.

I have no confirmed decision or notification, but according to TAMU's MA program director, "My understanding is that notifications as to acceptance/waitlist/rejection have now been sent out."

I have no confirmed decision or notification, but according to TAMU's MA program director, "My understanding is that notifications as to acceptance/waitlist/rejection have now been sent out."

I just checked my application and there is still no decision, but there is a notification bar saying the goal is within ten business days.

Wait-listed at University of Cincinnati. Is there anyone gonna decline his/her offer from Cincinnati? Please decline your offer as soon as you can. Thank you very much! As an international student, I'm able to apply to government support in my country if I get an offer. But the application deadline is around the corner (2/28/2015)!!!

Hi all, I have an offer from Vanderbilt, and I will most likely decline in mid-March (or earlier). I'm saying most likely because I currently hold an offer from Princeton (Politics) and the only reason why I haven't declined Vanderbilt is because my partner has also applied there (for a different field). In the event that my partner lands an offer from there, I *might* consider going there, but even then, it is unlikely simply because the research fit is not as good as Princeton. So bottom line is, it is highly likely that I will decline Vanderbilt. I'm sorry that I can't give a more committed response at the moment but I just thought I'd let people on the waitlist know that it's not completely hopeless; and I will be sure to act as soon as my circumstances become clear in mid-March, instead of dragging this painful process on for everyone. 

I haven't been wait listed for a school, but I have been wait listed for a fellowship at Georgia State. It's a nice fellowship which would greatly increase my likelihood of going there, but I don't know how likely it is that I will be taken off the waitlist. If anyone is on this forum that got the Brains and Behavior fellowship from Georgia State please let me know whether you think you'll accept or not!!!!! My alternative to grad school is Teach for America, and their decision deadline is 4/1. I would hate to accept that if it turns out I could have gotten the fellowship if I'd just waited until the 15th.... :/

I haven't been wait listed for a school, but I have been wait listed for a fellowship at Georgia State. It's a nice fellowship which would greatly increase my likelihood of going there, but I don't know how likely it is that I will be taken off the waitlist. If anyone is on this forum that got the Brains and Behavior fellowship from Georgia State please let me know whether you think you'll accept or not!!!!! My alternative to grad school is Teach for America, and their decision deadline is 4/1. I would hate to accept that if it turns out I could have gotten the fellowship if I'd just waited until the 15th.... :/

As someone who did an alternative teaching program, please don't do TFA unless you really want to become a teacher for the rest of your life. TFA in particular has a lot of problems and essentially no longer serves the role it was created to fill. It also grossly underprepares you to do an immensely difficult job. Feel free to PM me about it. 

I want to ask a maybe naive question: it seems that people are presuming rejections from places they haven't heard from. Is it common for them to hold off on rejections? A few people have been posting rejections and/or acceptances from places I haven't heard back from. Is this a wait list of some kind? Or they just don't care so much about rejecting people in time?

I've just declined an offer from Illinois-Urbana Champaign; hope this helps someone!

Good choice. I am a grad student there right now and it is a disaster here. Thankfully I'm transferring out!

I want to ask a maybe naive question: it seems that people are presuming rejections from places they haven't heard from. Is it common for them to hold off on rejections? A few people have been posting rejections and/or acceptances from places I haven't heard back from. Is this a wait list of some kind? Or they just don't care so much about rejecting people in time?

It's not naive. No one seems has it quite figured out. Schools have an obvious incentive to notify acceptances and waitlists as soon as possible. So if someone sees that acceptances and waitlists have gone out, and they have heard nothing, then it makes sense to assume they are not on either list. But this is an imperfect method. Schools can only make an educated guess as to how many initial offers will accept so their waitlist has to be flexible. They might need to add more people to it if it's a low yield year. Something like this happened for UCSD. Two years ago an unusually high % of their first rounders accepted the offer, so the next year they could only take like 2 candidates, as opposed to the usual 5-10 or whatever they shoot for. Conversely, Chicago has no waitlist. 

It seems like schools should just accept who they want, waitlist any plausible applicants, and then reject the rest. Why some schools seem to wait months to reject people that seemingly they know for sure they won't be extending an offer to is not clear, and was frustrating to me as an applicant as I'm sure it is to you. If someone else knows the reason, I'd like to know. Perhaps it's a higher level administrative thing that the department has no control over. 

Got waitlisted at UW-Madison- oh god please I hope enough ppl turn down offers they have to accept me- this would be absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And ugh- I got a huge envelope from Boston College today- all to read that while I was not accepted into their PhD program, I was invited to their MA program. It was a compliment but I wish they hadn't sent it in a huge envelope. That was a real tease.

Thanks philstudent1991! A part of this is also that almost all of the "it's unusual for them not to have anything out by this time" schools are ones I've applied for.

So.. Wisconsin-Madison has just sent out a bunch of wait list emails. (I received one and saw a bunch here on result page.)

Anyone have any experience of their wait list structures? Is it AOI-divided?

(Given how my visit next week goes, I might take myself off the list, but I'm still curious.)

Personally I don't think many people are inclined to accept offers to UW-Madison generally. I mean, not many people want to study in Wisconsin. It's too cold there. Seriously. Don't underestimate how much the climate and scenery impacts people's decisions on where to study, especially if they have options from different schools including slightly higher-ranked ones...

Hey people, just got an offer from UT, Austin. I'm waiting to hear on funding, but if it's funded this changes things massively for me. I currently have an offer from Missouri, U of Miami and I'm waitlisted at Indiana. If the offer comes with standard funding I'll reject those three offers.

Just waiting on Columbia and Rutgers now...

Also waitlisted at UW Madison! Must be a big waitlist. I wonder what portion of applicants use gradcafe. It is the only PhD I have a chance at so far, my only other prospect is GSU. What if you accept at another school and then find out after April 15th that you've made it off the waitlist? Is it pretty set in stone once you accept an offer?

First time posting after lurking the last few weeks. I'm another UW-Madison waitlistee. It's funny, I had pretty much come to terms with being shutout as of this weekend and today I started sending my resume to employers. Anyway, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet because it looks like there's quite a few of us. The email I received did mention that it was unclear when they would be able to admit people from the waitlist so that at least sounds somewhat promising. 

First time posting after lurking the last few weeks. I'm another UW-Madison waitlistee. It's funny, I had pretty much come to terms with being shutout as of this weekend and today I started sending my resume to employers. Anyway, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet because it looks like there's quite a few of us. The email I received did mention that it was unclear when they would be able to admit people from the waitlist so that at least sounds somewhat promising. 

Don't forget that three people already said they would decline the UW-Madison offer over the next couple of weeks