2015 Waitlist Thread

Ansight

I've just removed myself from the waiting lists at Ohio State, UMass Amherst, U Maryland College Park and Indiana University. I've also turned down a funded offer from UC Santa Barbara. I hope this helps someone!

wow, in favor of what, if I may ask

Why do people get waitlisted/rejected/accepted from Purdue but I get nothing, no e-mails nor website update ç.ç

I posted the waitlist for Purdue (poorly, since I didn't notice that it erased my undergrad gpa and gre scores when reloading a new captcha, and it didn't like the '+' I put between admission and funding). Here's what I know: usually, they notify people who are getting a fellowship offer early (so I expect that to be the case for the first post). Also, in the past, they've notified people by email, at least initially, where rejections were sometimes also by mail and didn't usually come until after offers and waitlist notifications are out. Finally, someone on here posted that they were told they could expect to hear this week or early next week.

I suspect that they changed their admissions process for this year. Last year, they offered acceptances without guaranteed funding (waitlist for funding). I think this year they are only offering acceptances with funding, and waitlisting (for both admission and funding) the rest. In addition, though this is only on the basis on the two other posts, they may be sending out everything at once and by mail (this is consistent with the timeline offered).  Unfortunately, however, there just isn't that much information at this point. I shared your confusion about when I might hear back, so hopefully this is helpful.

Edit: looks like they are notifying those on the wait list through email. Still, they may not be finished until the end of this week, or even early next week.

Edited by philadam

I posted the waitlist for Purdue (poorly, since I didn't notice that it erased my undergrad gpa and gre scores when reloading a new captcha, and it didn't like the '+' I put between admission and funding). Here's what I know: usually, they notify people who are getting a fellowship offer early (so I expect that to be the case for the first post). Also, in the past, they've notified people by email, at least initially, where rejections were sometimes also by mail and didn't usually come until after offers and waitlist notifications are out. Finally, someone on here posted that they were told they could expect to hear this week or early next week.

I suspect that they changed their admissions process for this year. Last year, they offered acceptances without guaranteed funding (waitlist for funding). I think this year they are only offering acceptances with funding, and waitlisting (for both admission and funding) the rest. In addition, though this is only on the basis on the two other posts, they may be sending out everything at once and by mail (this is consistent with the timeline offered). Why I also received an email because I was accepted last year, but didn't make it off the waitlist for funding. Unfortunately, however, there just isn't that much information at this point. I shared your confusion about when I might hear back, so hopefully this is helpful.

Just got waitlisted at Purdue- does anybody know Purdue's waitlist history? Small or large? This is one of the programs I like a lot so I hope this is encouraging!

I just got waitlisted as well. Someone asked whether they had a good chance, and apparently it is a "relatively short" list. Whatever that means, this could bode well for us.

I suspect that they changed their admissions process for this year. Last year, they offered acceptances without guaranteed funding (waitlist for funding). I think this year they are only offering acceptances with funding, and waitlisting (for both admission and funding) the rest. In addition, though this is only on the basis on the two other posts, they may be sending out everything at once and by mail (this is consistent with the timeline offered).  Unfortunately, however, there just isn't that much information at this point. I shared your confusion about when I might hear back, so hopefully this is helpful.

Edit: looks like they are notifying those on the wait list through email. Still, they may not be finished until the end of this week, or even early next week.

Probably. Someone on another thread said that he/she contacted the college and they said that if you did not receive an e-mail yet, then your application is still under review

Why do people get waitlisted/rejected/accepted from Purdue but I get nothing, no e-mails nor website update ç.ç

Although it's not about Purdue in particular, you might want to take a look at this link. There is some clarification as to why porgrams might take longer to get back to some students.

Wait listed at Colorado Boulder, and from what I can see from the results page all the others who were wait listed were told the same thing: "Near the middle." The e-mail I received this morning said it was a 31 person wait list, I was near the middle and average of the past is that they make offers to 15 people from the wait list. Did anyone hear anything other than "near the middle?" Is it possible they told this to everyone?

Edited by fieldofdaisies

Funny thing is: at this point, by pure first-batch offer statistics, Colorado is as competitive as Rutgers. Which means that, ironically, none of the 4 people who were good enough to get in are remotely likely to take the offer.

Anyway, I'm getting myself off the waitlist, even though I'm curious as to whether I'd make the cut...

Ho hum, looks like the season has brought only waitlists for me. Currently waitlisted at Duke, UCSD, and Penn.. Rejected / presume rejected from the rest, except for Stanford (which I'm pretty certain I won't get into, given the other schools I've been rejected from).

Could be worse.

Is anyone accepted at Duke thinking of declining? Also, is anyone accepted to UCSD / Penn with AOIs of normative and/or applied ethics thinking of declining?

Edited by tuv0k

Hi all, first off thanks to everyone for all the helpful information; I've been mostly lurking but felt a lot less alone in this whole gruelling process because of this board.

I'm waitlisted at CUNY and UPenn. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of getting a funded place? I haven't got a clue. The reason I ask is because in my home country (I have US citizenship though) the deadlines for acceptance of places are different, and I'd like to start planning what I do next year. It would really help me out if I had some idea of whether I should count on getting a place, or rather assume I didn't and take it as a very lucky coincidence if it turns out I do.

Thanks!

Hi all, first off thanks to everyone for all the helpful information; I've been mostly lurking but felt a lot less alone in this whole gruelling process because of this board.

I'm waitlisted at CUNY and UPenn. Does anyone have an idea of my chances of getting a funded place? I haven't got a clue. The reason I ask is because in my home country (I have US citizenship though) the deadlines for acceptance of places are different, and I'd like to start planning what I do next year. It would really help me out if I had some idea of whether I should count on getting a place, or rather assume I didn't and take it as a very lucky coincidence if it turns out I do.

Thanks!

I think it depends on how the list is organized. For example, Penn's list is unranked and divided by AOI, so you might expect your chances to increase if someone with similar AOIs declines an offer. As for CUNY, I don't really know what's the situation there.

Anyway, do you mind sharing your AOI? I'm also in Penn's waitlist and my impression is that the list is short, but can't really be sure.

Edited by reixis

I think it depends on how the list is organized. For example, Penn's list is unranked and divided by AOI, so you might expect your chances to increase if someone with similar AOIs declines an offer. As for CUNY, I don't really know what's the situation there.

Anyway, do you mind sharing your AOI? I'm also in Penn's waitlist and my impression is that the list is short, but can't really be sure.

Hey Reixis. Thanks for this. And sure, my AOI is ethics/pol. philosophy.

And anyone else has info on the CUNY waitlist i'd love to hear it!

Edited by marshmallowy

Anyone has any idea on what wait listed students can do to improve their ranking? Is it necessary to express enthusiasm? Thanks!

I agree with PreciselyTerrified, express your interest and that you would accept the offer if it came (if that's true!).

I agree with PreciselyTerrified, express your interest and that you would accept the offer if it came (if that's true!).

Thank you for the kind suggestions. Good luck!

Edited by Franzkafka