8 hours ago, j.alicea said:

@purrfectpals Was it just a mass email invitation, or an email from a professor? If from a professor, go ahead and email and ask if there might be a travel stipend available, in which case they would reimburse you for the flight. Or, you could email their Grad Student Services Adviser and ask the same question, or ask what alternatives they offer for international students. Good luck, and congratulations on your acceptance (assuming you were invited as an accepted student)

It was part of the acceptance letter, so I'll contact the Grad Student Services for more details, then. But thank you. I'm really excited! I just hope I can make this trip since I haven't spent much time abroad and would like to familiarize myself with the area first.

• 4 weeks later...

If my admissions email says "visitors are asked to make their own travel arrangements," (as far as the flight - they're offering two nights in a hotel on them and say they'll cover "pretty much everything else") am I guaranteed out of luck getting any assistance from the university for my flight? I'm bummed because the cost of a flight to North Carolina is more than I have in my bank account right now. How important are Open House events? If it's my only admit, should I just assume I don't need the Open House anyway since I don't have a decision to make?

Edited by jillcicle
clarifying what "travel arrangements" meant

Just now, jillcicle said:

How important are Open House events? If it's my only admit, should I just assume I don't need the Open House anyway since I don't have a decision to make?

Well, you still do have a decision to make: you could find out you hate the city, or that you don't get along with anyone you meet there, or that you just can't picture yourself there... This is the next 5 years of your life, so I personally think it's pretty important. Is there any way you can swing it? If not, you can try to arrange Skype meetings with some of the professors, and maybe even a grad student too in order to ask some key questions. I do think it's important but I also recognize that money and paying bills is also important, of course. Personally, if a school was not willing to help out with any travel expenses, I would also question the funding support within the graduate department. Not sure what others opinions are on this of course! But there's my initial two cents on it. :)

29 minutes ago, jillcicle said:

If my admissions email says "visitors are asked to make their own travel arrangements," am I guaranteed out of luck getting any assistance from the university for my flight? I'm bummed because the cost of a flight to North Carolina is more than I have in my bank account right now. How important are Open House events? If it's my only admit, should I just assume I don't need the Open House anyway since I don't have a decision to make?

Very much in agreement with @trytostay, though also wanted to give some other thoughts, While I do know someone in another field who didn't visit their program, I do know they talked on the phone with their POIs beforehand. I think if you don't visit or otherwise show interest in the program, you run the risk of seeming like you're not excited about the school. In my friend's case, funding for travel was offered and current grad students were putting up the prospectives, so I think it was much more likely for that program that most people would visit. If funding isn't offered (and I do think you could ask--perhaps call to see?), I imagine it's much less likely that people visit, but I would still try to Skype with your POIs and ask to be put in touch with current graduate students to get a sense of the program. It's also important to make sure that they would have enough funds to support you through 5 years (which is being quite optimistic, I think, since the normative time for all the programs I've looked at seem to be ~6 years!). 

33 minutes ago, trytostay said:

Is there any way you can swing it? If not, you can try to arrange Skype meetings with some of the professors, and maybe even a grad student too in order to ask some key questions. I do think it's important but I also recognize that money and paying bills is also important, of course. Personally, if a school was not willing to help out with any travel expenses, I would also question the funding support within the graduate department. Not sure what others opinions are on this of course! But there's my initial two cents on it. :)

There is just literally no way - I'm from a working class family, made $14,000 last year, and I already tanked my savings and ran up my credit card paying for the app fees this cycle. This has me questioning their support in general, I guess - in the first place, there was no diversity statement option in the app or anything like that, so they can't know my financial circumstances except from FAFSA. But I find it a little concerning. I will definitely ask them about Skype meetings.

5 minutes ago, sugilite said:

Very much in agreement with @trytostay, though also wanted to give some other thoughts, While I do know someone in another field who didn't visit their program, I do know they talked on the phone with their POIs beforehand. I think if you don't visit or otherwise show interest in the program, you run the risk of seeming like you're not excited about the school. In my friend's case, funding for travel was offered and current grad students were putting up the prospectives, so I think it was much more likely for that program that most people would visit. If funding isn't offered (and I do think you could ask--perhaps call to see?), I imagine it's much less likely that people visit, but I would still try to Skype with your POIs and ask to be put in touch with current graduate students to get a sense of the program. It's also important to make sure that they would have enough funds to support you through 5 years (which is being quite optimistic, I think, since the normative time for all the programs I've looked at seem to be ~6 years!). 

I've edited to clarify there's hotel accommodation offered, but getting there is on the visitor according to the email. I will go ahead and ask - I was worried about irritating them when they've already stated that we're expected to arrange travel. My letter says I'm being offered ten semesters of a Teaching Fellowship and that "most students" in the past have been able to fund a 6th year via Teaching or Dissertation Fellowships - if the admission offer is saying that, should I still be concerned/trying to verify those funds? I still haven't heard from my POI, just the PDF from the grad studies director. Anyway sorry for the rambling - I'm just stuck between not wanting to sound whiny to the department and not sounding excited enough, and very frustrated as I thought a PhD would finally be the first time in my education experience that I would get to go to the orientation type thing, as I wasn't able to afford it in undergrad or my master's. *sigh*

Is there an applicant who has been waitlisted but invited to Open House meetings (and feeling like the open house is a quasi-interview)?

What are the chances of waitlists turning to rejection or acceptance before the event, which is mid-March?

I want to show enthusiasm and etc. but I am currently in an Asian country and the plane ticket alone would cost me around $1,200 for a decent flight ($700ish for a 25 hour flight...). I do not think I am willing to pay that much to visit a school will eventually reject me ? But if it will increase my chances of getting in, I will attend.

I guess my question is, what are the chances of the waitlist status changing before mid-March?

9 hours ago, Hopeful and Not said:

Is there an applicant who has been waitlisted but invited to Open House meetings (and feeling like the open house is a quasi-interview)?

What are the chances of waitlists turning to rejection or acceptance before the event, which is mid-March?

I want to show enthusiasm and etc. but I am currently in an Asian country and the plane ticket alone would cost me around $1,200 for a decent flight ($700ish for a 25 hour flight...). I do not think I am willing to pay that much to visit a school will eventually reject me ? But if it will increase my chances of getting in, I will attend.

I guess my question is, what are the chances of the waitlist status changing before mid-March?

I just got invited to BU's visit as a waitlisted student, with possibility of some small assistance for travel.  I doubt the visit has anything at all to do with likelihood of getting in off the list.  As for that last question- I don't think there's any way to know!  All of my waitlists have been presented to me pretty hopefully, but at the end of the day, no one knows what students are going to decide regarding their offer.

Good luck to you!

19 hours ago, jillcicle said:

My letter says I'm being offered ten semesters of a Teaching Fellowship and that "most students" in the past have been able to fund a 6th year via Teaching or Dissertation Fellowships - if the admission offer is saying that, should I still be concerned/trying to verify those funds?

I wouldn’t worry too much, but definitely reach out to a poi, or a current student, or the director of grad student services, or all three to get a sense of how difficult it is to get funding for the last year, or if there were any students who were unable to get funding for that sixth year. My understanding is that quite a few universities do this, and many of them really want you to get a dissertation scholarship for at least one semester, so that you can totally focus on writing and researching, but still getting paid a teaching salary. Some schools guarantee that sort of funding for the dissertation year, and others want you to apply internally and externally during fifth and sixth year. (This is the case for both of the schools I am deciding between.) It’s probably good to apply for external funding and additional internal funding every year regardless of what you are guaranteed, for the experience and for the extra wages.

2 hours ago, j.alicea said:

I wouldn’t worry too much, but definitely reach out to a poi, or a current student, or the director of grad student services, or all three to get a sense of how difficult it is to get funding for the last year, or if there were any students who were unable to get funding for that sixth year. My understanding is that quite a few universities do this, and many of them really want you to get a dissertation scholarship for at least one semester, so that you can totally focus on writing and researching, but still getting paid a teaching salary. Some schools guarantee that sort of funding for the dissertation year, and others want you to apply internally and externally during fifth and sixth year. (This is the case for both of the schools I am deciding between.) It’s probably good to apply for external funding and additional internal funding every year regardless of what you are guaranteed, for the experience and for the extra wages.

Will do - thanks very much for the tips! And by the way, congratulations on your Davis acceptance - that's where I did my undergrad and their English department was such an incredible and supportive place. Do feel free to message me if you have any questions! 

On 2/22/2015 at 6:27 PM, 1Q84 said:

Should I post lyonnessrampant's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious list of questions or should I let her do it? ;)

As for your question: I was speaking in private to someone on TGC and they mentioned an anecdote about how a candidate tried to pull the double reimbursement trick with UCLA and USC and (I suppose out of offense and rage at the gall) UCLA rescinded their offer. So I would be very.... VERY careful about that and perhaps just eat the cost if it comes down to it. 

Hi, director of grad admissions here, and this sounds like an urban legend to me. My department regularly share the cost of visits with a department in a nearby university where our applicants have sometimes also been admitted. The Ph.D. admissions process is painstakingly undertaken by a committee on the basis of meticulous evaluation of the substance of applications. The logistics of campus visits are usually undertaken by a graduate administrator who does not have any input into the admissions process. Also, an offer letter in writing is a formal, professional offer: rescinding it could have legal consequences. For a department to recant an admissions decision would require serious malfeasance; having two departments separately defray the cost of travel without exceeding the total cost seems very unlikely to produce that consequence.

On 3/18/2018 at 3:23 PM, Daenerys said:

I have paged through some of the replies on this thread, and I apologize if this question has been answered and I missed it, but  I would like to know about the etiquette of bringing a significant other along to the campus visit:   Is this OK?  For this particular accepted students’ open house, I’m not asking for travel reimbursement, as we don’t live terribly far away.  Hubby asked if he could come along, and I would enjoy his company and input, but my concern is it might seem unprofessional if I ask to bring him.   What do you think? Is that too weird? 

We've had some admitted graduate students ask about this before, and even bring partners to public portions of the visit weekend (lectures, talks, but not individual meetings with faculty). To tell you the truth, it's been awkward, and has struck members of the department as immature and unprofessional. You wouldn't take your spouse to a job interview, though you might report your experience to him and seek his input afterward. I would strongly advise against this. It wouldn't have any immediate or terrible consequences, but it might make a poor first impression with faculty and fellow graduate students.

9 minutes ago, emprof said:

We've had some admitted graduate students ask about this before, and even bring partners to public portions of the visit weekend (lectures, talks, but not individual meetings with faculty). To tell you the truth, it's been awkward, and has struck members of the department as immature and unprofessional. You wouldn't take your spouse to a job interview, though you might report your experience to him and seek his input afterward. I would strongly advise against this. It wouldn't have any immediate or terrible consequences, but it might make a poor first impression with faculty and fellow graduate students.

D'oh, sorry--I didn't see that this message was a year old! Obviously, you figured out whatever was best for you. Maybe my reply can be helpful to someone who has the same question this season. Apologies. 

45 minutes ago, emprof said:

Hi, director of grad admissions here, and this sounds like an urban legend to me. My department regularly share the cost of visits with a department in a nearby university where our applicants have sometimes also been admitted. The Ph.D. admissions process is painstakingly undertaken by a committee on the basis of meticulous evaluation of the substance of applications. The logistics of campus visits are usually undertaken by a graduate administrator who does not have any input into the admissions process. Also, an offer letter in writing is a formal, professional offer: rescinding it could have legal consequences. For a department to recant an admissions decision would require serious malfeasance; having two departments separately defray the cost of travel without exceeding the total cost seems very unlikely to produce that consequence.

Sorry, I stupidly didn't consult the date of the original post! Important life lesson: don't scroll through forums with fever. 

1 hour ago, emprof said:

I just graduated last year and I am currently working as an event coordinator at my alma mater. I do think it's very normal (in my case, not for prospective students, but for guest speakers, job candidates, etc.) for schools to share the cost, but I would really recommend checking with the schools beforehand. If you get the OK, then send a single email with all the receipts to both schools to show who is paying what in a table/spreadsheet (and, of course, fill out any school-specific forms!). It's really helpful for the person doing the reimbursements! :)

My interpretation of the "double reimbursement" would mean that they were being reimbursed for over the amount of money it would cost to have taken the trip. If, for example, the trip to LA in total cost $400, and then they tried to get $400 from both UCLA and USC for a total of $800, then that seems rather shady. 

Edit: I think it's really helpful to have you weigh in; since this is a pinned thread, I am sure others will benefit from your advice! 

Edited by sugilite

@emprof

I'd love to hear your input on attending visit days for schools you've been waitlisted for, or asking to attend.

I'm waitlisted at UT currently, and I only live about an hour and a half away, so travel funding isn't necessary/it's so close and easy for me to travel to. I wasn't invited to the prospective students' visit, but I'd love to go. If I do make it in off the waistlist, and I haven't visited, I would still accept because they're my top choice, but I'd still like to visit the department and chat with people, you know? I've been accepted to my second choice school, and I would be happy staying here. I don't want to get to UT having not met anyone in the department and find out it's not as good of a fit as I'd thought (though I doubt this will happen!).

Any advice on basically asking to invite myself to visit day? haha.

6 minutes ago, sugilite said:

I think it's really helpful to have you weigh in; since this is a pinned thread, I am sure others will benefit from your advice! 

@emprof I agree! 

Also, I work in a graduate office and my university doesn't fund anything for visits other than a meal pass and hotel discount. I was entirely thrilled and surprised when one of my top choices offered to pay my airfare and allowed me to visit an alternate day from the original welcome! I think it says a lot about how much the school values its graduate students and what kinds of resources they have to support them.

15 minutes ago, tacocat211 said:

@emprof

I'd love to hear your input on attending visit days for schools you've been waitlisted for, or asking to attend.

I'm waitlisted at UT currently, and I only live about an hour and a half away, so travel funding isn't necessary/it's so close and easy for me to travel to. I wasn't invited to the prospective students' visit, but I'd love to go. If I do make it in off the waistlist, and I haven't visited, I would still accept because they're my top choice, but I'd still like to visit the department and chat with people, you know? I've been accepted to my second choice school, and I would be happy staying here. I don't want to get to UT having not met anyone in the department and find out it's not as good of a fit as I'd thought (though I doubt this will happen!).

Any advice on basically asking to invite myself to visit day? haha.

Congratulations on your admission to your second choice, and I'll keep fingers crossed for you about UT! I understand the temptation, but I would advise against asking to attend the visit day if you weren't explicitly invited. Even though you wouldn't be asking for reimbursement for travel, there are costs associated with attendance in terms of resources, including food and beverages, logistical arrangements, and faculty/administrator time. Asking to be accommodated in a hosting schedule that is quite hectic, at least at my institution, might earn you some raised eyebrows at the least, and even some antipathy. If (and I hope when!) you are admitted, it would be perfectly appropriate to ask whether you could schedule a visit to meet with faculty in your field, tour the campus, and talk to graduate students about the departmental culture and atmosphere. Good luck!

22 minutes ago, sugilite said:

I just graduated last year and I am currently working as an event coordinator at my alma mater. I do think it's very normal (in my case, not for prospective students, but for guest speakers, job candidates, etc.) for schools to share the cost, but I would really recommend checking with the schools beforehand. If you get the OK, then send a single email with all the receipts to both schools to show who is paying what in a table/spreadsheet (and, of course, fill out any school-specific forms!). It's really helpful for the person doing the reimbursements! :)

My interpretation of the "double reimbursement" would mean that they were being reimbursed for over the amount of money it would cost to have taken the trip. If, for example, the trip to LA in total cost $400, and then they tried to get $400 from both UCLA and USC for a total of $800, then that seems rather shady. 

Edit: I think it's really helpful to have you weigh in; since this is a pinned thread, I am sure others will benefit from your advice! 

Yes, this is great advice. And you're absolutely right that anyone seeking reimbursement from multiple sources needs to be meticulously up-front and above-board about it. It would be very unethical (and possibly even illegal) to accept reimbursement amounts that exceed what you've spent. 

Thanks for the reassurance that my chiming-in might be helpful! I've been scrolling through the forums because I don't feel up to concentrating on real work ... but obviously this cold has me a little bit scatter-brained.

13 minutes ago, Maylee said:

@emprof I agree! 

Also, I work in a graduate office and my university doesn't fund anything for visits other than a meal pass and hotel discount. I was entirely thrilled and surprised when one of my top choices offered to pay my airfare and allowed me to visit an alternate day from the original welcome! I think it says a lot about how much the school values its graduate students and what kinds of resources they have to support them.

I agree that when schools are willing to put resources into having you visit, it demonstrates their commitment to you. It's an auspicious sign of what you might expect as a student in the program. T

he only qualifier I would offer is that some state universities--even amazing flagships, like UC Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison (just examples; I don't know what their specific policies are these days)--are under financial pressures that the administration might handle in idiosyncratic ways. So, a Board of Trustees might mandate that its university cut costs by a certain percentage; the central administration, left to decide how to distribute those cuts, might unilaterally cut funding for prospective student visits while preserving stipends and graduate benefits. So while receiving funding from a university for a visit is definitely a good sign, *not* receiving funding, or receiving only partial reimbursement, doesn't necessarily mean that current graduate students will struggle for resources. It's definitely worth looking into, especially by asking current graduate students about whether they feel supported by the department and the university (both materially and academically). I just don't think it should be a nail in the coffin. 

9 minutes ago, emprof said:

The only qualifier I would offer is that some state universities--even amazing flagships, like UC Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison (just examples; I don't know what their specific policies are these days)--are under financial pressures that the administration might handle in idiosyncratic ways. So, a Board of Trustees might mandate that its university cut costs by a certain percentage; the central administration, left to decide how to distribute those cuts, might unilaterally cut funding for prospective student visits while preserving stipends and graduate benefits. So while receiving funding from a university for a visit is definitely a good sign, *not* receiving funding, or receiving only partial reimbursement, doesn't necessarily mean that current graduate students will struggle for resources. It's definitely worth looking into, especially by asking current graduate students about whether they feel supported by the department and the university (both materially and academically). I just don't think it should be a nail in the coffin. 

Thank you - this is a very helpful thing for me to keep in mind re: UNC Chapel Hill, and I'm sure others who will be scoping this thread out.

22 minutes ago, emprof said:

Congratulations on your admission to your second choice, and I'll keep fingers crossed for you about UT! I understand the temptation, but I would advise against asking to attend the visit day if you weren't explicitly invited. Even though you wouldn't be asking for reimbursement for travel, there are costs associated with attendance in terms of resources, including food and beverages, logistical arrangements, and faculty/administrator time. Asking to be accommodated in a hosting schedule that is quite hectic, at least at my institution, might earn you some raised eyebrows at the least, and even some antipathy. If (and I hope when!) you are admitted, it would be perfectly appropriate to ask whether you could schedule a visit to meet with faculty in your field, tour the campus, and talk to graduate students about the departmental culture and atmosphere. Good luck!

Ah, thanks so much for this advice! I hadn't considered the additional costs that me visiting might incur. I'll wait with fingers and toes crossed! Thanks again :)

On 2/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, jillcicle said:

If my admissions email says "visitors are asked to make their own travel arrangements," (as far as the flight - they're offering two nights in a hotel on them and say they'll cover "pretty much everything else") am I guaranteed out of luck getting any assistance from the university for my flight? I'm bummed because the cost of a flight to North Carolina is more than I have in my bank account right now. How important are Open House events? If it's my only admit, should I just assume I don't need the Open House anyway since I don't have a decision to make?

Very cheerful update - I contacted DGS and told them what was up and he tracked down a reimbursement budget for my flight and ADDITIONALLY even offered an extra night of accommodations to make cross-country travel/attendance easier. Absolutely incredible and kind response. My takeaway is don't be afraid to ask!

5 hours ago, jillcicle said:

Very cheerful update - I contacted DGS and told them what was up and he tracked down a reimbursement budget for my flight and ADDITIONALLY even offered an extra night of accommodations to make cross-country travel/attendance easier. Absolutely incredible and kind response. My takeaway is don't be afraid to ask!

They sound super nice, and also very excited to have you! So glad you asked! 

I am taking a train to UVA, and actually have my entire transportation out of Virginia already taken care of and covered. Would it be rude to spend the whole travel budget on a one-way ticket to Virginia? It’s about a 7 hour train ride so I was considering getting a business class seat, which comes out to $5 less than the total cost they can reimburse me for. The difference between coach and business is about $45. 

Edited by trytostay

13 hours ago, trytostay said:

I am taking a train to UVA, and actually have my entire transportation out of Virginia already taken care of and covered. Would it be rude to spend the whole travel budget on a one-way ticket to Virginia? It’s about a 7 hour train ride so I was considering getting a business class seat, which comes out to $5 less than the total cost they can reimburse me for. The difference between coach and business is about $45. 

Event coordinator at a university--Budget-wise, my programs would be fine with this. However, I would double check to make sure the school doesn't have a policy that says they can only reimburse economy class. If there are any considerations at play (i.e. the economy class does not have guaranteed seats, but the business class does), be sure to mention it.