5 hours ago, awildsheep said:

I got accepted into BU's MA--thinking it might be a shutout for me for PhD's this year. Are any of you attending the open house? 

I'm attending the open house! I was also accepted to the MA and waitlisted for the PhD. While the MA is probably too pricey for me to afford, I live rather close so I figured I would go. 

21 hours ago, awildsheep said:

I got accepted into BU's MA--thinking it might be a shutout for me for PhD's this year. Are any of you attending the open house? 

Got into the ma and waitlisted at the PhD as well. Coming from Cali so not sure yet if I can make it work but I’m going to try to be there! Would love to meet you both!

6 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Just booked my flight and hotel! Thank you mom for your air miles! Lets get a drink GC friends!

Omg for BU? That's so exciting! Let's please :)

10 hours ago, cassidyaxx said:

Omg for BU? That's so exciting! Let's please :)

I'm still trying to figure whether I should visit (I'm also on the West Coast in NV!) 

Did either of you ask about living arrangements from the program or are you just finding your own place? 

30 minutes ago, awildsheep said:

I'm still trying to figure whether I should visit (I'm also on the West Coast in NV!) 

Did either of you ask about living arrangements from the program or are you just finding your own place? 

I asked about funding and was told there might be some but they don’t know yet, and I should just book. Luckily my mom had a ton of air miles and Hilton points so my flight and stay came to about $20 out of pocket. I wonder though if current grad students might be willing to put someone up?

15 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I asked about funding and was told there might be some but they don’t know yet, and I should just book. Luckily my mom had a ton of air miles and Hilton points so my flight and stay came to about $20 out of pocket. I wonder though if current grad students might be willing to put someone up?

I also asked about overnights and they said they'd let us know if a grad student would be willing to put one of us up. I'm actually staying in Framingham and I'm taking the t into the city, it's much cheaper that way but I live in ct so I won't be coming from an airport or anything. @awildsheep

Edited by cassidyaxx

On 3/1/2019 at 4:44 PM, cassidyaxx said:

I also asked about overnights and they said they'd let us know if a grad student would be willing to put one of us up. I'm actually staying in Framingham and I'm taking the t into the city, it's much cheaper that way but I live in ct so I won't be coming from an airport or anything. @awildsheep

@kendalldinniene Booked my flight! Let's meet up! I can message you both my instagram & we can try to get a drink together :) 

Another lurker here!

I have received tuition and a good stipend for an MA program and they invited me to visit, but nothing on travel expenses. How much of a faux pas is it to ask for a possible travel stipend? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, wildsurmise said:

Another lurker here!

I have received tuition and a good stipend for an MA program and they invited me to visit, but nothing on travel expenses. How much of a faux pas is it to ask for a possible travel stipend? Thanks!

Absolutely not a faux pas! Just email and ask politely as you would really like to visit. If they have funding, they will offer it (maybe a portion instead of all travel if they have a tight budget). 

Edited by illcounsel

Hey, do most schools help accepted phd students with costs on campus visits? I'm wondering about that since I would love to visit a couple before I make my decision but I'm worried asking about it may make me seem a bit grubby.

33 minutes ago, Formershocker1919 said:

Hey, do most schools help accepted phd students with costs on campus visits? I'm wondering about that since I would love to visit a couple before I make my decision but I'm worried asking about it may make me seem a bit grubby.

i asked if any travel reimbursement was being offered :) it's totally normal to ask, though it's pretty all over the board how much each program will give you.

anybody headed to Vanderbilt this week or Rutgers the start of next? anticipation/nerves are steadily escalating now. can’t remember who else might be at either, but looking forward to meeting anyone there! 

Just want to complain that I have been in stellar health for MONTHS, with not even a mild sniffle, and I woke up today to begin travelling to UNC's campus visit to find a real doozy coming on.  SO looking forward to the 5 hour sinus-drying flight and avoiding handshakes to preventing plague-spread and pockets full of tissues at POI meetings all that /s. ?

hi all! i have a new student orientation day tomorrow for my second choice school. i was planning on attending the graduate school portion and the departmental portion, but yesterday i was accepted to my top program! so the likelihood that i'll ultimately go to the school i'm visiting tomorrow is very slim.

this being said: should i feel obligated to go to the graduate student portion tomorrow? it's from 8-1, and i would truly rather just go to the department section (1-4) because that seems the most relevant. thoughts?