6 hours ago, semioclasm said:

Hey all,

I was recently accepted to my top choice (Buffalo) and invited out to a visiting weekend. They mentioned setting me up with a place to stay, but said nothing about covering travel expenses. I went ahead and booked my flight, which wasn't cheap, but I see that many of your programs bought your tickets. Should I ask my program about funding, or would that come across as too needy?

Thanks in advance!

I would email the program director or whoever set up the visiting weekend and place to stay and ask if there is any funding available to cover transportation. I straight up have begun to ask programs "What funding is available?" and at most places I've been told there is some (MSU paid for everything, OSU and UNL covered a portion of the cost). One school did flat out say that they didn't offer funding, but it wasn't awkward. They understand that funding is a big part of this. 

Edit: I will also add that one school didn't mention funding until I specifically asked, and then they did provide some. So asking is always in your favor, in my opinion. 

Edited by midwest-ford

@semioclasm Ask. My request language is similar to @midwest-ford‘s: “I’d love to visit. I am traveling from [far far away]. Does the university offer travel assistance?”

One school told me no. By the time I booked my flight, they found money to offer me partial reimbursement (a very pleasant surprise!),

It's worth a shot. I know the UB English department (got my MA there two years ago) and they typically are more than happy to help out with travel assistance with possible grad students. They also host massive wine and cheese parties with the members of the department. So, not something I'd want to miss, haha. 

On 2/13/2018 at 8:05 AM, semioclasm said:

Hey all,

I was recently accepted to my top choice (Buffalo) and invited out to a visiting weekend. They mentioned setting me up with a place to stay, but said nothing about covering travel expenses. I went ahead and booked my flight, which wasn't cheap, but I see that many of your programs bought your tickets. Should I ask my program about funding, or would that come across as too needy?

Thanks in advance!

I recently got invited to a preview weekend that was very last minute. I looked up airfare and realized there was no way I could cover it. I told the director that while I'd love to visit I didn't think I would be able to make travel arrangements so soon- in those words without saying anything about money. She emailed back that they would arrange and cover the costs of my flight, hotel, and meals. 

My husband however was invited for a visit and they said they could cover the cost of two nights at a hotel. We looked up flights (all $400-600) and emailed back asking if there was anymore funding considering we live so far away (we're in MI,  school is in Florida). They emailed back that they could reimburse  $300 for the flight.

I would be honest. Say you've already booked travel, but you're concerned about costs and wanted to see if there was anyway to be reimbursed for some or all of the flight. Sometimes asking is all it takes, plus if it saves you money it's totally worth it. Directors know what students make, they also know the process is pricy. They won't think it's weird or awkard. 

16 hours ago, klader said:

Anyone going on campus visits soon?! Purdue's is Monday and Tuesday! So early, I feel like, but at least it doesn't conflict with some of my other ones lol

Saint Louis this week and Iowa next week. Have fun at Purdue and report back (I applied but haven't heard anything). 

On 2/17/2018 at 11:30 PM, klader said:

Anyone going on campus visits soon?! Purdue's is Monday and Tuesday! So early, I feel like, but at least it doesn't conflict with some of my other ones lol

I'm heading to Texas A&M the first week of March for their recruitment event, then UNC-Chapel Hill for their open house the first week in April. I'm waiting for more details from UNC about hotels and travel reimbursement (if they even do it). I had been hoping my husband could tag along to Carolina so he could get a feel for the area while I do the school stuff, but reading past posts here, I think I may be asked to share a room with other prospective students. Hoping to hear more soon.

I'm nervous that I committed a faux pas  with one of my schools though; maybe folks here could either give me some reassurance that I'm overreacting or some tips to smooth it over? The main events for this school's recruitment event take place on Friday, and they suggested we arrive on Thursday. They will reimburse up to a certain (generous) amount for travel, including hotel costs and airfare. I booked my flight to arrive Thursday evening. Because I have family in the area, I thought I would spend some time Saturday with them and fly out on Sunday. I would stay with family Saturday night so as not to have an additional night at the hotel. My plane ticket was round-trip and the extra day didn't change the price that I know of. All in all, the cost of hotel and air fare should be right at what they offered to cover. 

I mentioned to my POI my plans to depart Sunday, but I didn't think to also say I'd be staying with family that extra night. I haven't had any response from her and I've got this looming anxiety that they think I'm trying to swindle the department for extra money. Should I email her this information--even though it's been at least a week since I sent her my travel plans? Or am I worrying over nothing? 

Edited by JustPoesieAlong

Philadelphia and Delaware friends: is there a good way to get from Philadelphia to Newark, DE on a Sunday morning? We were going to spend Friday and Saturday night in Philadelphia and then head to Newark on Sunday morning but it looks like SEPTA doesn’t go that far on Sundays and Amtrak is only available in the evening. Any other good methods of getting there? Otherwise it looks like we’d be heading there Saturday evening. Edit: Not driving, we don’t have a car. 

Edited by punctilious

3 hours ago, punctilious said:

Philadelphia and Delaware friends: is there a good way to get from Philadelphia to Newark, DE on a Sunday morning? We were going to spend Friday and Saturday night in Philadelphia and then head to Newark on Sunday morning but it looks like SEPTA doesn’t go that far on Sundays and Amtrak is only available in the evening. Any other good methods of getting there? Otherwise it looks like we’d be heading there Saturday evening. Edit: Not driving, we don’t have a car. 

The Regional Rail's Northeast line has a Delaware Station. It's more expensive than normal Septa (for that distance I think it's like eight dollars a person) and you just pay in cash after you get on. Here's the schedule for the Wilmington train:

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/h/WIL_0.html

11 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

The Regional Rail's Northeast line has a Delaware Station. It's more expensive than normal Septa (for that distance I think it's like eight dollars a person) and you just pay in cash after you get on. Here's the schedule for the Wilmington train:

http://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/h/WIL_0.html

I think I was looking at this but it appears as though it doesn't go all the way to Newark on Sundays?

8 minutes ago, punctilious said:

I think I was looking at this but it appears as though it doesn't go all the way to Newark on Sundays?

Ah! I totally missed Newark and mentally put in Wilmington. And this is actually me being better at geography. When I came to Philadelphia I thought Delaware was just the capital of Maryland.

3 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Ah! I totally missed Newark and mentally put in Wilmington. And this is actually me being better at geography. When I came to Philadelphia I thought Delaware was just the capital of Maryland.

LOL. That is fantastic.

This is always our first though about Delaware:

gBISmbk.jpg

7 hours ago, punctilious said:

There are a few ways around this.

Greyhound is $21-26 (depending on the departure time) one way on Sunday March 11. It has around 12 available times to leave from morning to evening.  Take SEPTA to Wilmington, lyft/uber from Wilmington to Newark.

The first option would cost $42-$52 for two people. The second would cost two independence passes ($13 each) and according to rates currently ($23) from the station to the college. 23+13+13= $49. Trains are far more comfortable than Greyhound.

I have an offer but the school isn't doing an open house/admitted students day. I've been corresponding with the department admin. Do I go through the admin to ask about travel reimbursement to visit campus, or do I go straight to the department chair who signed the offer letter?

42 minutes ago, maengret said:

I have an offer but the school isn't doing an open house/admitted students day. I've been corresponding with the department admin. Do I go through the admin to ask about travel reimbursement to visit campus, or do I go straight to the department chair who signed the offer letter?

I would say that you should ask the person you've been corresponding with, so in this case, the department admin. If they don't have the answer, they will either seek approval for it on your behalf, forward your request to the right person to approve it, or redirect you to the right person to ask. Typically, there is already a protocol in place so they would already know if there will be reimbursements or not so they will likely be able to just answer your question.

If we are accepted to our top choice school, does it still make sense to attend other visit days? What about those that we've already said we'd attend? What about calls with grad students and professors that we've already set up? No idea what to do!

23 minutes ago, punctilious said:

If we are accepted to our top choice school, does it still make sense to attend other visit days? What about those that we've already said we'd attend? What about calls with grad students and professors that we've already set up? No idea what to do!

In practice, I'd email my letter writers or former professors ASAP. They've likely encountered this before with past advisees (and, heck, maybe even lived it themselves) and will be able to give some solid advice on the best ways to handle this.

In theory, I think I'd go visit these places unless I was absolutely positive that I wasn't going to attend the other institutions. If I knew that this top choice was The Choice, I'd cancel the visits and (in the same email) decline the offers.

Here's my reasoning why: y'all certainly aren't the first people to get a call from The Dream School after starting to engage with other places. I'd guess that all of these institutions have likely seen this happen before - it's part of the process. Declining both the offer and the visit would open up a spot for someone on the wait list (and possibly in time for the visiting weekend), which helps the declined institution put time/energy/money toward someone who may attend their institution.

At the same time, if you guys have a smidge of an inkling of a doubt and, accordingly, want to be informed about your other options because you may want to go there instead - go visit. You of course have every right to be as informed as possible about your choices. 

Hopefully, there are maybe GCers lurking who have navigated this problem before and can chime in? 

@punctilious I agree with the others, you just don’t know if there are other surprises. You have time to notify them all of your decision. The other schools may also want the opportunity to sweeten their offers. If it were me, I’d want to compare and make sure I’ve got the right fit and most money.