Who else is feeling crazy emotional right now?

isilya

I accepted an offer a couple days ago at my dream department and I'm so excited to go. Ever since then, I've been really emotional, for example I keep crying (out of happiness!) at random inappropriate times throughout the day. I also have zero motivation to keep up on the last of my coursework, I just want to be done with undergrad and move to grad school! But I'm also sad to be leaving friends and family behind. I can't handle all of these emotions!! Does anyone else feel like this?

I am, but for a different reason--I'm trying to decide between two schools. I'm leaning towards one option, but I really bonded with the people at the other school, and my POIs  there were extraordinarily helpful and generous with their time. The other day I was thinking about how I should probably attend X university, and then my POI from Y university sent an email just to check in and I immediately burst into tears. Also I'm feeling a bit crazy from being sleep-deprived because of midterms and thesis stuff, all of which is taking way longer because I can only think about grad school things. I also feel bad complaining about this--I know it's a good problem to have, and that two good options is better than no good options, but it really really really sucks. I think my friends, most of whom are still looking for jobs, are getting a little sick of me freaking out about this decision.

It's a perfectly good reason to freak out!! I know how you feel, I really bonded with my POIs at the places I was accepted to (although I am sure that the dept I accepted is far and away the best fit for me). It was so sad declining offers from them :( why can't we just collect all the people we like and stick them in one place and work with them all??

Good luck making your decision! It's super difficult since you really like both places.

I can relate to all of this. Ever since I got accepted to grad school a few weeks ago, I have completely stopped caring about my undergrad classes. It sucked because at the time that I got the notification, I was working on an outline for a long paper and all motivation immediately went out the window :lol:.

Now I have been accepted to a second program and I am trying to make my final decision and it is so stressful. The one program won't release financial aid decisions until April (for whatever reason), which sucks. The other program has given out some financial aid information, but it is in New York, so I just know that getting housing is going to be a nightmare. Plus, the programs themselves are just very different. So hard to decide  :unsure:

I feel exactly the same way- I'm so glad I'm not the only one. The day I got accepted by my dream school I could barely believe it. I couldn't stop grinning, my roommate was sick of me. And then I'd randomly burst out crying. I have the classic case of senioritis- I worked more on my thesis last semester than most people in my class, and this semester I can't get myself to do ANYTHING. I used to really enjoy working but now it feels like all that was a means to an end.

I've been a mess. I am 99% sure that I know which school I want to go but this hasn't stopped me from seeking advice from every single person I can on what they think I should do. It's pointless though because when they say something in favor of a school Other than the one I want to go to, then I just argue with them. Sometimes I feel so happy that my dreams are coming true and other times, it hits me that I am leaving all of my friends and family (including my 2 year old niece). Sometimes I feel motivated to crank out the publications that I am super close to asap and other times I just stop caring. I'm a mess!

Edited by bsharpe269

I am, but for a different reason--I'm trying to decide between two schools. I'm leaning towards one option, but I really bonded with the people at the other school, and my POIs there were extraordinarily helpful and generous with their time. The other day I was thinking about how I should probably attend X university, and then my POI from Y university sent an email just to check in and I immediately burst into tears. Also I'm feeling a bit crazy from being sleep-deprived because of midterms and thesis stuff, all of which is taking way longer because I can only think about grad school things. I also feel bad complaining about this--I know it's a good problem to have, and that two good options is better than no good options, but it really really really sucks. I think my friends, most of whom are still looking for jobs, are getting a little sick of me freaking out about this decision.

Thank god I'm not the only one. I assumed that once applications were over and decisions were out, the stress would go way down. NOPE! I go through an internal struggle daily over what school I want to go to and the countdown until April 15th feels way worse than application deadlines. Like you said, it's a great problem to have, but I'm also so worried about making the wrong decision. I was pretty sure I was leaning towards School A, then I learned faculty at School B had a million great things to say about me which of course caused irrational tears and a reevaluation. Sometimes I wish I had only been accepted at one place haha.

Thank god I'm not the only one. I assumed that once applications were over and decisions were out, the stress would go way down. NOPE! I go through an internal struggle daily over what school I want to go to and the countdown until April 15th feels way worse than application deadlines. Like you said, it's a great problem to have, but I'm also so worried about making the wrong decision. I was pretty sure I was leaning towards School A, then I learned faculty at School B had a million great things to say about me which of course caused irrational tears and a reevaluation. Sometimes I wish I had only been accepted at one place haha.

Agreed. I have surely developed two new ulcers in the last two weeks. 

I've actually been the opposite: crazy calm. I've made my decisions, got a very good scholarship, and my grades are okay. Probably my biggest struggle is to get work done, but it was worse when I was waiting for programs to respond (I was on spring break the week of decisions for my last two programs and got absolutely nothing done). I also want to finish my undergrad research before I graduate, so I haven't been mulling over grad school so much!

I'm sorry that many people do not feel the same way. I've recovered from depression, but I haven't forgotten how it feels. It'll hopefully get better after April 15th!

Go to the gym! Get that overwhelming energy out of your system and make the most out of the last month of your undergrad experience. I'm facing the same problem as you and as exams are approaching I'm trying to get myself back on track. If you have loads of lab work to finish like me, I would focus on that if you plan to leave the lab with a good reputation. 

This whole application process has been a roller coaster of emotions and this last phase is no exception. Maybe this is one of the most emotional parts because formally accepting an offer feels so...permanent. 

I didn't feel anything about officially accepting an offer because I already knew for a while I was going to accept it. 

Declining offers was not fun though, and nowadays when I see those school's names I still feel kind of sad, even though I know the offer I accept is the best for me by far in so many ways. I also asked to be removed from a waiting list at a school that was initially my top choice, so there's this sense of never getting to know how things could have turned out...

I have so much to do, like my MA thesis and three other research projects, but it also makes me sad to think of moving away from my department here. I want to go to all the department events rather than bury my head in work.

I'm super excited to start my PhD though.

"I have so much to do, like my MA thesis and three other research projects, but it also makes me sad to think of moving away from my department here."

This is exactly how I feel too. Hard to finish thesis revisions when you're battling so many emotions. I wasn't expecting to be so sad about leaving my department, but I'm really going to miss these people.

I'm in the same boat! I was accepted to my dream school along with another great school as well. I'm stuck between decisions but there's always something pushing me to go to my dream school since I've wanted it so bad. The thing is, neither schools have offered financial aid so I'm stuck for a while I think. Plus they're all very far away from where I live so it's a little difficult to find a place to live as well.

My emotions have been everywhere.  When I first got in I was nervous and scared. Then excited.  Then sad that I'll have to leave my job. Then excited again. And now I'm so nervous I need to go run a couple of miles to burn off this nervous energy. And also impatient.  4 months, 6 days, and 22 hours to go!

>I am 99% sure that I know which school I want to go but this hasn't stopped me from seeking advice from every single person I can on what they think I should do. It's pointless though because when they say something in favor of a school Other than the one I want to go to, then I just argue with them. 

Exactly the same here. I KNOW which program I'm attending, but that doesn't stop me from consulting with other people and then arguing with them when they disagree with my decision!

seriously? you all got into your "dream school" yet you still drag it out your decision until april 15? so unneccesarily cruel to other applicants. 

It's a big decision, one that affects the rest of your life.  They have earned the right to not take their decision lightly and their deadline is April 15th.  

seriously? you all got into your "dream school" yet you still drag it out your decision until april 15? so unneccesarily cruel to other applicants.

It's a big life decision! I personally made my official decision and notified all schools relatively early on, but I don't blame people who put off deciding for a while. Where you decide to go to grad school likely decides your entire career trajectory, that decision shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm sorry you're waiting on decisions from schools, but it's not productive to demand that strangers on the internet make huge life decisions hastily for your benefit. (in fact, it might not even benefit you; many departments end up not accepting people off the waitlist.)

It's a big decision, one that affects the rest of your life.  They have earned the right to not take their decision lightly and their deadline is April 15th.  

It's a big life decision! I personally made my official decision and notified all schools relatively early on, but I don't blame people who put off deciding for a while. Where you decide to go to grad school likely decides your entire career trajectory, that decision shouldn't be taken lightly. I'm sorry you're waiting on decisions from schools, but it's not productive to demand that strangers on the internet make huge life decisions hastily for your benefit. (in fact, it might not even benefit you; many departments end up not accepting people off the waitlist.)

yaaa no.... people in this thread are saying that "they know they should pick their dream school" but insist on being neurotic and beating the question to death by asking everyone and anyone their opinion. even when all of those opinions align with "pick the dream school" these people STILL don't decline offers. you people are gross, selfish and awful.

I'm "crazy emotional" in the sense of I'm sweating bullets about the workload.  I didn't get into my dream program or any doctoral programs, but one of the schools liked my application and offered me admission to their one-year MA program, along with some free money to boot.  It's a pretty sweet deal and all of my undergraduate professors have expressed their confidence in me, but I'm just sitting here thinking "goodbye, fun."  I'm on top of my things - I've already met with the director of the program and will be meeting the professor who will likely be my adviser about course suggestions, research topics, and so forth - but in between that it's me trying to gauge how much free time I can squeeze out through time management. :P

yaaa no.... people in this thread are saying that "they know they should pick their dream school" but insist on being neurotic and beating the question to death by asking everyone and anyone their opinion. even when all of those opinions align with "pick the dream school" these people STILL don't decline offers. you people are gross, selfish and awful.

So you're expressing dislike of people considering opinions from others that may or may not be relevant when making one of the biggest life choices ever by...expecting these people to consider your opinion that may or may not be relevant...

Okay.

"Dream school" =/= right choice. They aren't gross, selfish, or awful by carefully considering their opinions instead of pouncing on an acceptance out of emotion/excitement.

Once I notified my school that I was accepting their offer, I suddenly felt this rush of different emotions. It was so strange because I basically decided that I was going to attend this school for at least a week before I told them, but I only started freaking out when it was official. 

First, I felt scared about having to move so far away and being by myself. Then I felt semi-depressed (because I would be moving away from loved ones) while everyone was congratulating me. Then I snapped out of that and felt proud that I would be getting my PhD and excited about getting paid to do research. I also felt excited about working with awesome people that I think I'll really get along with. I'm still scared about moving so far away for 5 years, but I'm trying to find a positive aspect to it. 

So to the first poster, yes definitely crazy emotions! It's a crazy life transition! 

Bananasinpajamas: I think I remember seeing you post on the South Bend forum. If that's you, then I can totally identify about moving so far away -- South Bend will be far away from home for me too! I officially committed to Notre Dame today...so many emotions!