Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

On 1/12/2016 at 5:38 PM, mvlchicago said:

*takes notes*

I'm extremely jealous you attend Brown. Beautiful campus and the city is wonderful. I especially envy the Grad Center Bar! My friend and I checked it out, and it was so awesome.

Edited by stillalivetui

3 minutes ago, L13 said:

Yeah, that would be me. Super stoked! Did not expect to hear back so early (or to get in, really).

Was it an email from you POI or a general one?

5 minutes ago, L13 said:

Both.

Did your application status change on the website? Sorry for all the questions...and Congrats!!!

Edited by jb1993

7 minutes ago, jb1993 said:

Did your application status change on the website? Sorry for all the questions...and Congrats!!!

Oh no, don't apologize! You actually reminded me to check my status on their website, which I'd totally forgotten about. It hasn't changed yet, as far as I can tell.

And thanks, everyone.

Edited by L13

17 hours ago, L13 said:

Yeah, that would be me. Super stoked! Did not expect to hear back so early (or to get in, really).

Yup. Congrats!

Looks like there's updated results for a second JHU acceptance and promising-sounding email contact to Columbia.

Maybe history results will start rolling out soon. Yay.

Based on experience from last year, I'd say the early-bird programs will start notifying early next week. MSU sent both acceptances and rejections around Jan 22nd/23rd last year. Berkeley POIs sent out informal emails around the same time.

Two pieces of advice: don't get married to your first acceptance--wait for other offers, funding, recruitment visits, etc. before making a decision. Secondly, be cognizant of wait listers. If you know you won't accept a program's offer, withdraw your app or decline their offer. I'd wait til funding offers come in to do this--because let's be real, you gotta look out for yourself first--but in some instances you may know you wouldn't attend a program even with great funding (for me, this is where big differences in rank came into account).

Good luck y'all! The fun is about to begin! And congrats to those who've already heard good news :)

5 hours ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Based on experience from last year, I'd say the early-bird programs will start notifying early next week. MSU sent both acceptances and rejections around Jan 22nd/23rd last year. Berkeley POIs sent out informal emails around the same time.

Two pieces of advice: don't get married to your first acceptance--wait for other offers, funding, recruitment visits, etc. before making a decision. Secondly, be cognizant of wait listers. If you know you won't accept a program's offer, withdraw your app or decline their offer. I'd wait til funding offers come in to do this--because let's be real, you gotta look out for yourself first--but in some instances you may know you wouldn't attend a program even with great funding (for me, this is where big differences in rank came into account).

Good luck y'all! The fun is about to begin! And congrats to those who've already heard good news :)

I'm not sure if fun is the best word to describe this.... :) 

Edited by DGrayson

I'll add to ashiepoo's exellent suggestions.

Take the time NOW to begin writing to yourself:

1) Rank the programs

2) Write explanation for each why you want to go there/don't *really* want to go and why you ranked the programs this way

Place it in an envelope and give the envelope to your adviser/trusted friend/parent/dog and have them give it back to you as you prepare to make a final decision.  This exercise will help bring you down to the ground when you're up in the clouds with acceptances/waitlists and remind you of your core values/interests/desires.

Not that I actually did it myself but my adviser was amazing to remind me why I chose my current program as first choice when I was literally leading toward another program that unexpectedly blew me out of the water.  Thank heavens.  If it wasn't for her, I might be elsewhere.

Finally done with applications. I was going to apply at one more place until I talked to a professor and was told that NO one gets full funding, and consequently, there are no stipends. Factor that in with studio housing at $950 a month...and I'm done paying out application fees. 

@prculus

Generally I seem to gravitate toward 20th cent US but do think there are interesting possibilities looking at views/land use in other areas and pre-industrial revolution on a comparative basis. Ive done some work on the history of US wildfire management, BLM (USBR) from Powell to present and of course I enjoy Muir/Leopold/etc. I also enjoy trying to incorporate a systems approach and like to think about the pedagogy involved.

@nevermind

I am gearing up to apply this fall so have been making lists and reaching out to POIs. I am happy to talk about the possibles/strong possibles but it is probably premature until I get the rest of the feedback from POIs. I will probably keep the apps in the 5-10 range.

So, this is probably a (very) dumb question, but if (according to the results page) someone was admitted today to a program you applied to and you haven't heard anything, how certain should you be that you didn't make it?

3 minutes ago, scrivere said:

So, this is probably a (very) dumb question, but if (according to the results page) someone was admitted today to a program you applied to and you haven't heard anything, how certain should you be that you didn't make it?

The process has only just begun. Don't count yourself out just yet.