Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

Just now, Neist said:

I'm actually quite good at finding weird things on the internet. :) Too bad they don't have fellowships for that.

I guess you could always use that as a resume bullet for an application to work at BuzzFeed if you need to make some beer money on your way to a PhD.

1 minute ago, CvC1780 said:

I guess you could always use that as a resume bullet for an application to work at BuzzFeed if you need to make some beer money on your way to a PhD.

Hey, if it pays for beer, it's a skill well-fostered, I say! ;) 

5 hours ago, CvC1780 said:

Any bets on whether Ohio State will send out a couple of its best offers today?

They did.  Congrats to those folks!  Feel free to PM me with any questions about surviving and thriving in the BuckeyeLand :) 

22 minutes ago, TMP said:

They did.  Congrats to those folks!  Feel free to PM me with any questions about surviving and thriving in the BuckeyeLand :) 

As surreal as it feels to type this, I'm one of the OSU admits.  I checked their website right after CvC1780 posted that prediction, and I'm beyond ecstatic!  I come from a little-known undergrad institution, so I did not have high hopes of being admitted into any PhD programs, but have actually been nominated for a university fellowship.  Maybe this will be reassuring to people who (like me) have been underestimating their chances because they went to a less prestigious school.  Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!

5 minutes ago, victoriana said:

As surreal as it feels to type this, I'm one of the OSU admits.  I checked their website right after CvC1780 posted that prediction, and I'm beyond ecstatic!  I come from a little-known undergrad institution, so I did not have high hopes of being admitted into any PhD programs, but have actually been nominated for a university fellowship.  Maybe this will be reassuring to people who (like me) have been underestimating their chances because they went to a less prestigious school.  Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!

Congrats! :D 

OSU sends acceptances in waves (fellowship nominees then people funded by TAships), so for applicants who haven't heard anything, don't freak out! I was wait listed for funding at OSU and didn't hear back until mid-March. 

Can anyone claim the UCSD interviews? were these "official" ones (in the sense that I should go into "shit, I didn't get one" mode), or more like an initiative by a specific POI? Yes, I realize this might be an unanswerable question but, well, I am proudly succumbing to my obsessive and counter-productive impulses.

15 minutes ago, tipmar said:

Can anyone claim the UCSD interviews? were these "official" ones (in the sense that I should go into "shit, I didn't get one" mode), or more like an initiative by a specific POI? Yes, I realize this might be an unanswerable question but, well, I am proudly succumbing to my obsessive and counter-productive impulses.

I can claim one. It was for a very specific subfield by my POI. I don't think you should go into panic mode yet. I'm not sure a shortlist has been made (I certainly wasn't given an offer yet!) by the department. 

56 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I can claim one. It was for a very specific subfield by my POI. I don't think you should go into panic mode yet. I'm not sure a shortlist has been made (I certainly wasn't given an offer yet!) by the department. 

What are your fields?

2 minutes ago, L13 said:

No idea if this is the case at UCSD, but history of science programs (and occasionally ancient history ones) tend to run their admission process separately from the history department.

I can confirm that this is generally the case.

3 hours ago, L13 said:

No idea if this is the case at UCSD, but history of science programs (and occasionally ancient history ones) tend to run their admission process separately from the history department.

It would actually be in history, not history of science (just a science studies emphasis). But yes, usually that's the case.

On January 22, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Quickmick said:

@prculus

Generally I seem to gravitate toward 20th cent US but do think there are interesting possibilities looking at views/land use in other areas and pre-industrial revolution on a comparative basis. Ive done some work on the history of US wildfire management, BLM (USBR) from Powell to present and of course I enjoy Muir/Leopold/etc. I also enjoy trying to incorporate a systems approach and like to think about the pedagogy involved.

@nevermind

I am gearing up to apply this fall so have been making lists and reaching out to POIs. I am happy to talk about the possibles/strong possibles but it is probably premature until I get the rest of the feedback from POIs. I will probably keep the apps in the 5-10 range.

I would be curious to hear where you are applying. I'm applying to environmental history programs, and have somewhat of an interest in the history of wildfire management on public lands. I was a wildland firefighter for about 8 years, so it is more than simply an academic interest.