Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

36 minutes ago, sts4656 said:

@nevermind Have you seen that somebody wrote to the results page that he received an e-mail for interview from HSS in December, as we expected.. So we can definitely assume rejection at this point... :/

I assumed as much. I was pretty much prepared for it (though obviously, would've loved to be pleasantly surprised)...It wasn't my strongest fit and last year, they only accepted 3 people. I'm also not counting on Yale either (not sure if HSHM does interviews), since the people I was interested in working with aren't tenured and the dept. skews more "medicine" than my interests anyway. Those were my two "reaches" in terms of fit...I have much higher hopes for everywhere else. :) 

Edited by nevermind

3 hours ago, sts4656 said:

@nevermind Have you seen that somebody wrote to the results page that he received an e-mail for interview from HSS in December, as we expected.. So we can definitely assume rejection at this point... :/

I would not put too much stalk in one or two reported results. The number of stories I've heard from people in regards to fake or otherwise misinformed posts, in combination with my own experience last year, makes me skeptical. At best, the results forum gives you an idea of what is happening but should not be taken as fact unless you see a sufficient number of consecutive posts. Keep those fingers crossed!

Yep, this ought to be a busy week.

who wants to bet this thread adds ten+ pages by this time next week?

Side note: at nine sharp this morning I received a call from an unknown New York City number (I applied to three schools in the city). 

It was, of course, someone trying to get me to sign up for dental insurance! Sigh.

5 minutes ago, insidethesun said:

It should be quite eventful. I'm glad I was notified early on. The December-January wait was stressful enough.

Agreed. I'm so glad I already have an offer that I'd be thrilled to take. Best of luck to everyone! I hope this week/month brings great news!

16 hours ago, nevermind said:
13 hours ago, DGrayson said:

I would not put too much stalk in one or two reported results. The number of stories I've heard from people in regards to fake or otherwise misinformed posts, in combination with my own experience last year, makes me skeptical. At best, the results forum gives you an idea of what is happening but should not be taken as fact unless you see a sufficient number of consecutive posts. Keep those fingers crossed!

Someone posted they received an interview email from Penn HSS on 1/14. I guess you don't know either way for sure until you have an email in your inbox...

So according to the results from last year, Stanford, Northwestern, NYU, WashU, IU, NC state, Boston College, Minnesota, John Hopkins, William and Mary, and Yale sent out their results (whether rejections or acceptances) this week last year (mostly on Thursday/Friday). I'd be relieved to find out where I'm rejected from sooner rather than later so I'm happy to find out either way. I'm hoping some of these universities make these decisions this week as well. 

Good luck to you all. Wishing you the best. 

8 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Two of my schools could notify this week (based on past years) and I am anxious as all hell now. I've been mostly fine up to this point...

I feel exactly the same--every email causes a roller coaster of emotions, and I've never been so tempted to unsubscribe from every listserv I've ever been on. 

52 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Two of my schools could notify this week (based on past years) and I am anxious as all hell now. I've been mostly fine up to this point...

might hear from two of my schools this week. They have responded this early in the past, but who knows?

I've said it before on here, but I can't stand the bored of waiting. I'm like a shark. Want to keep moving forward. :) 

6 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

Just an FYI; it's Indiana University, not "University of Indiana."

Just double checked to make sure I got that right in my SOP for Indiana--fortunately, I did. looks like I just mixed it up in my signature! 

3 minutes ago, emiliajulia said:

Just double checked to make sure I got that right in my SOP for Indiana--fortunately, I did. looks like I just mixed it up in my signature! 

That must have been a terrifying 3 minutes! Glad you got it right on the SOP... :) 

19 minutes ago, tenochtitlan said:

That must have been a terrifying 3 minutes! Glad you got it right on the SOP... :) 

I remember going over the school names multiple times for each one, but of course now I'm rechecking all of them! Not sure what I'd do if I found an error, though...maybe it's best not to know. 

Nope, I'm at Davis, but I'm still in contact with my would've-been adviser at UCSB, who is a truly wonderful person. I visited UCSB during recruitment, so I know a good amount about the department if anyone has questions. I was also wait listed for funding there and have plenty advice on how to navigate that situation (and negotiating funding in general).

13 minutes ago, ashiepoo72 said:

Nope, I'm at Davis, but I'm still in contact with my would've-been adviser at UCSB, who is a truly wonderful person. I visited UCSB during recruitment, so I know a good amount about the department if anyone has questions. I was also wait listed for funding there and have plenty advice on how to navigate that situation (and negotiating funding in general).

Oh, now that I'm on my PC I can see Davis in your signature! The mobile version of this forum is kind of broken. Do you recall when Davis contacted you?

If I end up getting into UCSB I'll definitely need to learn more about funding. That has so far been the most jarring thing about this all.

Edited by Watershed