Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

6 minutes ago, knp said:

@nevermind Yay, that's so exciting!!! I am out of upvotes so here's a happy puppy who is smart like you

f03028fd38c082390886ca340ef4c9de.jpg

bahahaha! Thanks! My own little guy (Biscuits) looks like he could be friends.  (I don't know how to upload a pic here that meets the size restrictions, but he's a 10 lb. little terrier/chihuahua mix.)

3 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

Just got accepted to Washington State! Full funding and stipend! 

So nice not to be batting .000 this year.

Yay! Congrats! I would give you an upvote if I wasn't maxed out for today! 

Edited by nevermind

2 hours ago, prosopographer said:

At the interview they told me they're taking 10, spread out across all the geographical focuses. It might still be early, but it might also be because not everyone is lurking around on GradCafe like we are...! 

The DGS also said that the formal email with the $$ package is coming in a few days. So I guess we should expect to see some more news then. 

Alright. I'll just sit here......hoping.:)

9 hours ago, nevermind said:

Finally received my first admit (UCSD History / Science Studies)! My research fit is pretty phenomenal and I'm super pumped about my potential committee (2 other scholars whose work I love are in different departments). No more Plan B office job for me!

Congrats! I was also just admitted to UCSD! 

Did you hear anything about funding? My letter did not refer to it at all (no mention of funding info to come). 

On February 9, 2016 at 3:33 AM, Ahtlatl said:

I got a phone call from my POI at UCLA this weekend (Saturday, Feb 6th to be exact). He said that there were two other professors in the same field (Latin America) who also had students that they wanted to bring to UCLA, but I was the one ultimately chosen. IIRC, admissions at UCLA are based on geographic field, not period, with one student admitted each year for Latin American history. So, sorry to say this, but I think that if you are doing Latin American history, regardless of the period you focus on, you're probably going to be rejected or waitlisted. I am most likely going to choose UCLA, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Rutgers and Columbia (long shot).

Any more news for the history department at UCLA? :) Do you mind if I ask if you plan on taking your offer? 

6 hours ago, tipmar said:

Congrats! I was also just admitted to UCSD! 

Did you hear anything about funding? My letter did not refer to it at all (no mention of funding info to come). 

Congrats to you as well tipmar! What's your subarea? Are you going to admitted students day?

I'm assuming we both received the same letter. Mine said a "If you have not yet been contacted by a faculty member informing you of your acceptance, you will be receiving a letter from the Department, followed by an official letter from the Office of Graduate Studies, shortly." I'm assuming funding will be in one of these forthcoming documents.

Is it likely that IU have sent out all of their acceptance notifications at this point?  I only see a few rejections and 3 acceptances, and have not yet received either, so my mind has been racing! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsQ0gIq-8y4w-7CVdt7GA

Edited by victoriana

46 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Congrats to you as well tipmar! What's your subarea? Are you going to admitted students day?

I'm assuming we both received the same letter. Mine said a "If you have not yet been contacted by a faculty member informing you of your acceptance, you will be receiving a letter from the Department, followed by an official letter from the Office of Graduate Studies, shortly." I'm assuming funding will be in one of these forthcoming documents.

Yep, mine said the same. I was a bit surprised by how close their admitted students day is, I may not be able to go due to work restrictions and previous engagements. Either way, I am waiting to hear about funding before I decide on my next move. 

My subfield is European history.

26 minutes ago, victoriana said:

Is it likely that IU have sent out all of their acceptance notifications at this point?  I only see a few rejections and 3 acceptances, and have not yet received either, so my mind has been racing! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsQ0gIq-8y4w-7CVdt7GA

Yeah, I'm wondering the exact same thing... Generally, I'd assume that I'm not going to be accepted if I'm seeing others who are on gradcafe. But since others have been rejected in a couple waves, I'm wondering if maybe that means I'm still in the running? Who knows. They might be gauging how many of their first offers are going to be accepted, and leaving people in limbo as a kind of unofficial waitlist.

3 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

Yeah, I'm wondering the exact same thing... Generally, I'd assume that I'm not going to be accepted if I'm seeing others who are on gradcafe. But since others have been rejected in a couple waves, I'm wondering if maybe that means I'm still in the running? Who knows. They might be gauging how many of their first offers are going to be accepted, and leaving people in limbo as a kind of unofficial waitlist.

I went ahead and called RPI and asked them about the current status of applicants. At this point I'm just trying to confirm my rejection. The acceptances on the results page happened about two weeks ago. Got transferred to a voice mail. Hm.

There's been three acceptances and no rejections from them at this point. 

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

I went ahead and called RPI and asked them about the current status of applicants. At this point I'm just trying to confirm my rejection. The acceptances on the results page happened about two weeks ago. Got transferred to a voice mail. Hm.

There's been three acceptances and no rejections from them at this point. 

Sorry, what's RPI? Are you also referring to Indiana?

2 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

Sorry, what's RPI? Are you also referring to Indiana?

Oh, sorry! I wasn't very clear.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I applied to their STS program. My intention with my comment was that I'm curious if RPI is doing something similar.

At this point I don't feel all that apprehensive contacting them. I'll give it another week or so and try again if I don't hear anything.

Edited by Neist

5 minutes ago, meo03 said:

Does anyone know if no interview= rejection at CUNY Graduate Center?

They do them by subfield with the field's rep who is on the admissions committee. So if you don't hear and others in your subfield do it probably means you're waitlisted. They do them essentially to see if their top choices will accept because they can't reissue funding packages. Then if people decline or indicate they're going elsewhere they'll move on.

5 minutes ago, jayray11 said:

They do them by subfield with the field's rep who is on the admissions committee. So if you don't hear and others in your subfield do it probably means you're waitlisted. They do them essentially to see if their top choices will accept because they can't reissue funding packages. Then if people decline or indicate they're going elsewhere they'll move on.

thanks for the insight! 

37 minutes ago, Neist said:

Oh, sorry! I wasn't very clear.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I applied to their STS program. My intention with my comment was that I'm curious if RPI is doing something similar.

At this point I don't feel all that apprehensive contacting them. I'll give it another week or so and try again if I don't hear anything.

Ah, gotcha. Right, if the rest of this week goes by without more from IU I may consider doing some intel gathering as well.

2 hours ago, nevermind said:

agrh I haven't received anything from UCSD yet, wonder why don't they just send out the denials to be done with it

47 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

Ah, gotcha. Right, if the rest of this week goes by without more from IU I may consider doing some intel gathering as well.

I am currently working up the courage to email my POI there.  At this point, I just want to know one way or another.

Edited by victoriana

51 minutes ago, emmabear said:

agrh I haven't received anything from UCSD yet, wonder why don't they just send out the denials to be done with it

I haven't either, which I presume to be a rejection. I'm a little surprised considering I had some good conversations with my POI there and felt pretty confident on my chances. Not to mention my fit with the program was stellar. Just goes to show how unpredictable this whole process is. 

In any case, congrats to all the UCSD admits.