Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

3 hours ago, wluhopeful said:

along the same lines, how long to most people take to hear back post-interview? I had an interview with Penn State Thursday of last week and have been anxiously awaiting the results, since it's one of my last options. I don't want to email and be annoying though. 

What major field are you? I interviewed with Penn State today and they told me they would probably be making decisions on Americanists tomorrow and then sending notification sometime next week. Hope this helps!

6 hours ago, victoriana said:

Hi nightfarmer and anyone else who is still anxiously waiting to hear back from Indiana University,

I just received an email from the DGS in response to the inquiry I sent earlier.  Apparently the department is very much still working on admissions and funding, and probably will be for "several weeks."  Happily for me, the DGS wrote that he expects IU will be able to offer me admission and multi-year financial aid(!), but to judge from his email, most of their decisions and especially funding details are not yet finalized.  In short, in this case no news may in fact be very good news and, on the other hand, we can anticipate up to a few more weeks of waiting.

I also got this email...hoping for the best but preparing for the worst! 

1 hour ago, herstory said:

What major field are you? I interviewed with Penn State today and they told me they would probably be making decisions on Americanists tomorrow and then sending notification sometime next week. Hope this helps!

I interviewed for Early Modern Global. Maybe they'll be sending out all the notifications at the same time. Good luck! Hopefully we both get some good news!

Wow yeah, congrats to UCLA admit! That's a great offer. I didn't think UCs had that kind of money. Guess it really depends!

Still no change in status for me which is probably a bad sign. It really would be nice to know one way or another! 

14 hours ago, nom said:

I know this may sound silly but how did you approach sending an email inquiring about the status of your application? 

I sent a very brief email to graduate admissions to the effect that I was writing to inquire about the status of my application, but appreciated that the committee may still be making their decisions, in which case I would be grateful for any information as to when applicants might hear some concrete news.  Probably I jumped the gun a little in emailing so early, though in this case it worked out ok.

I'm not sure if the message which the DGS apparently sent out to at least a few other applicants about an hour later was related to my having emailed or just a coincidence.  Either way, I am glad we are not completely in the dark anymore!

Edited by victoriana

14 hours ago, HAPPYDuck said:

I have been wondering the same thing. Someone on the results page posted that POI contacted and said official decisions will be sent out by the end of this week. If we don't hear in the next few hours, it's safe to assume we will hear tomorrow.

Hey guys, that was me, a lurker. My POI had suggested in November that I contact them in the beginning of February to talk about my potential fit. They just got back to me this week and gave me the bad news after they'd contacted the DGS, who said "official letters will go out this week." I'm a 19th/20thc. Americanist (labor/immigration.) That's all I've got for ya. Best of luck!

On 2/14/2016 at 6:27 PM, tenemental said:

Anyone know if Harvard and Columbia are done sending out offers? I see a couple from both, but not as many admits as have been reported in past years yet. 

Thanks!

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Harvard?  I'm pretty much assuming rejection at this point, but it would be nice to know for sure.

2 hours ago, the_flying_k said:

Anyone else still waiting to hear from Harvard?  I'm pretty much assuming rejection at this point, but it would be nice to know for sure.

According to another post, acceptances went out last week. 

If anyone is still waiting on Yale, I emailed my POI this week and he got back after checking with the graduate school to say that my application is still under review. I'm not entirely sure what that means but he had a friendly tone with the email, so I can't complain. :)

3 hours ago, Ephemera said:

Hey guys, that was me, a lurker. My POI had suggested in November that I contact them in the beginning of February to talk about my potential fit. They just got back to me this week and gave me the bad news after they'd contacted the DGS, who said "official letters will go out this week." I'm a 19th/20thc. Americanist (labor/immigration.) That's all I've got for ya. Best of luck!

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I was the UW reject (oh that sounds nice) who posted about receiving the email from my POI.

3 hours ago, Ephemera said:

Thank you for the info!

23 minutes ago, Ephemera said:

Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I was the UW reject (oh that sounds nice) who posted about receiving the email from my POI.

Don't worry. We'll all be rejects somewhere, and prized students else where. In the end we'll all end up where we belong.

Seems like complete rejections across the board except for Northwestern (waiting to hear back from UNC and Chicago). 

Am I too elitist for deliberating whether or not I should take the NW offer? I am an international applicant, and not too many people have heard of Northwestern or are not aware of its reputation. I am realistic about doing a PhD but would still love to have employment after coming out with one...

32 minutes ago, MrMomo said:

Seems like complete rejections across the board except for Northwestern (waiting to hear back from UNC and Chicago). 

Am I too elitist for deliberating whether or not I should take the NW offer? I am an international applicant, and not too many people have heard of Northwestern or are not aware of its reputation. I am realistic about doing a PhD but would still love to have employment after coming out with one...

NW is an extremely prestigious school in America, even if it may not be well-known in other countries. If you got full funding, you would be crazy to turn it down

34 minutes ago, MrMomo said:

NW may not have the same name recognition to the general public in some parts of the world, but I'd be quite surprised if the people in your department would advise you to turn down a funded spot there.

3 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

NW is an extremely prestigious school in America, even if it may not be well-known in other countries. If you got full funding, you would be crazy to turn it down

^^This

What are your other options? Waiting on Chicago and UNC? If you got in those places, sure you'd have options. Other than that, you are looking at turning down an offer from Northwestern and rolling the dice on next year. If you're wanting to complete a PhD, it might be in your interest to take the offer from NW. Otherwise, what happens? You try for an even more elite program next year and face rejection again. You can always start at NW and apply at a more elite program, if you truly want to be at a school with international cachet. I don't advise that, but it happens.

15 minutes ago, HAPPYDuck said:

11 minutes ago, meo03 said:

NW may not have the same name recognition to the general public in some parts of the world, but I'd be quite surprised if the people in your department would advise you to turn down a funded spot there.

6 minutes ago, insidethesun said:

^^This

What are your other options? Waiting on Chicago and UNC? If you got in those places, sure you'd have options. Other than that, you are looking at turning down an offer from Northwestern and rolling the dice on next year. If you're wanting to complete a PhD, it might be in your interest to take the offer from NW. Otherwise, what happens? You try for an even more elite program next year and face rejection again. You can always start at NW and apply at a more elite program, if you truly want to be at a school with international cachet. I don't advise that, but it happens.

Thank you all for your comments! I am definitely leaning towards taking it, but have been advised by some people to be careful when selecting schools as the last thing I want is to go somewhere when my heart isn't fully it in. Grass is always greener and all that...

I would think that reapplying next year may give me better a better chance at the "top" schools (as I am currently in my Master's and haven't got any grades back yet), but it seems too risky and as someone has already said it's a roll of the dice and I am not sure I can take that. Either way, it's a pretty good dilemma to have and I am aware of the privileged position I am in. Really don't want to work yet.

49 minutes ago, MrMomo said:

To answer your initial question, yes, you are being too much of an elitist. As others have said, NU is a well-respected institution and a degree from there would be silly turn to down. I'm pretty sure Chicago is done sending out their acceptances, so you're pretty much just waiting on UNC. Should you not be admitted to UNC, accept the NU offer and run with it. 

1 minute ago, MrMomo said:

Thank you all for your comments! I am definitely leaning towards taking it, but have been advised by some people to be careful when selecting schools as the last thing I want is to go somewhere when my heart isn't fully it in. Grass is always greener and all that...

I would think that reapplying next year may give me better a better chance at the "top" schools (as I am currently in my Master's and haven't got any grades back yet), but it seems too risky and as someone has already said it's a roll of the dice and I am not sure I can take that. Either way, it's a pretty good dilemma to have and I am aware of the privileged position I am in. Really don't want to work yet.

And I may be biased, but I can vouch for Chicago being a great city.

(It's mid-February, and it's 60 degrees today... what the hell?)

1 minute ago, stillalivetui said:

To answer your initial question, yes, you are being too much of an elitist. As others have said, NU is a well-respected institution and a degree from there would be silly turn to down. I'm pretty sure Chicago is done sending out their acceptances, so you're pretty much just waiting on UNC. Should you not be admitted to UNC, accept the NU offer and run with it. 

Thank you! I apologise if I seem ungrateful it's just that I am not from the States and not that many people are aware of NU's prestige and reputation, and since I am open to working anywhere in the world that has played on my mind for a bit.