Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

On 2/2/2016 at 6:20 PM, knp said:

The only program I've applied to that's actually started to return decisions is UNC, from which I have heard nothing... No rejections have popped up on the results board yet, though. (Does anybody know if all acceptances have gone out?)

Each field has its own admissions meeting to select candidates before putting forth names to the adcom. Sounds like the committees meet at different times. That's probably why some admission notifications have already been released. Global History, for example, has not met yet. 

Edited by KLZ

49 minutes ago, DGrayson said:

That has been me pretty much everyday! 

I keep telling myself that false hope is better than no hope at all.....hang in there. 

44 minutes ago, emiliajulia said:

@alain Hold on to hope!! It's only just past noon EST--plenty of time left in the working day! :) 

You're right. I have no idea what time adcoms meet/decide these things so I'm on alert, checking my email, from like 9am.

Edited by alain

19 hours ago, betwixt&between said:

Hi friends! Have any Brown applicants received notification yet?

I haven't heard anything re my MA application, but, based on last year's notifications, it won't be until Monday that we receive notifications.

6 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

A disappointing week. Haven't heard from UW or UC Davis...

I feel your pain. I also had a pretty horrible week, rejected by NYU and heard nothing from UT Austin. I am drinking my way to an identity crisis. 

1 hour ago, prculus said:

I haven't heard anything re my MA application, but, based on last year's notifications, it won't be until Monday that we receive notifications.

37 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

A disappointing week. Haven't heard from UW or UC Davis...

31 minutes ago, tipmar said:

I feel your pain. I also had a pretty horrible week, rejected by NYU and heard nothing from UT Austin. I am drinking my way to an identity crisis. 

The most wonderful time of the year, right?

41 minutes ago, stillalivetui said:

Illinois has "extremely limited departmental resources this year?" Well, that's quite worrisome. 

I can probably assume this is the case in a lot of states.

I probably peak behind the curtain a little bit more than most because I'm actually a staff member at a university, but Oklahoma (and I imagine Texas) is in quite terrible shape because of the dropping oil prices. The state's income is projected to drop 14% next year due to it, and the university I work at is readying itself for a 20 million dollar shortfall over the next year or two. I assume any oil heavy state is similarly suffering.

I'm actually quite a good fit for the program I applied to in Oklahoma, but I'm suspecting there will be absolutely no funding available. :( 

1 hour ago, stillalivetui said:

Illinois has "extremely limited departmental resources this year?" Well, that's quite worrisome. 

The state can't reach an agreement on budget. They won't even pay IL lottery winners until they figure it out...

2 hours ago, kmr said:

So, apparently Johns Hopkins put all of its remaining notifications - accepted, wait listed, and rejected - into the snail mail this morning.

Ugh, I can't believe schools still use snail mail :/ I got a couple reject letters via snail mail in 2011, but I assumed they'd all gone digital by this point. 

Long time lurker here - is snail mail pretty standard for rejections? I haven't received any emails from any of the programs I've applied to. I realize it's quite early to be worried but I'm very stressed about not being admitted to a program. 

17 hours ago, mvlchicago said:

The Euro + Russian Studies program has way more funding available than the Yale history masters program. I would take that as a "soft" no (as in, they want to keep you around and want to give you as much money as they can to do such.)

I would expect these to come out next week. I was talking to faculty today and someone mentioned not having the time to make phone calls, so I think it'll just be the email once the Grad School finalizes/officiates the history department's offers.

I'm feeling a whole lot better about the Yale decision the more I learn about it. It wasn't the ideal decision, but it's not as bad as I thought. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, HinH said:

Long time lurker here - is snail mail pretty standard for rejections? I haven't received any emails from any of the programs I've applied to. I realize it's quite early to be worried but I'm very stressed about not being admitted to a program. 

Depends on the program really. The best indicator is to look on the results page and see how decisions have been made previously. As far as I know, only a small number of schools actually use snail mail. 

Edited by DGrayson

2 hours ago, HinH said:

I think the "please check your status on our website" message is more common than snail mail. I'd check the results board for specific programs if they do snail mail. All of my communication during my last cycle (2013) were via email. 

I agree - rejection notification style depends on the program. For UG to MA, I got the email to check my website status for the rejection I got. Though one of my acceptances was only snail mail, which I have since learned is odd.

Edited by kmr