Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

1 hour ago, emiliajulia said:

many congrats to everyone! :D does anyone know if UMich is done sending out acceptances? I just spent a quick minute checking my application status, but honestly the page is quite confusing and I actually couldn't locate the application status. 

Not sure about further admits, so can't say either way.

Nothing on the website changed, the letter came as an attachment in an email from the DGS. 

39 minutes ago, levoyous said:

Insider tip: Boston College acceptances have gone out. However, at least one person has a strong competing offer, and last year people were still being admitted even after the visit day because some in the first round didn't accept. So there could be more to come.

As someone hoping to hear from Boston soon, thanks for the information.

Yet another post wondering whether we know if Michigan and Yale are done? I haven't heard from either yet. For those of you who were admitted, what are your fields?

Is anyone planning to attend Northwestern's visiting days in March? If so, PM me and maybe we can meet up. :)

1 hour ago, Sallyplant said:

Yea, I don't think mine was a formal indication of being on the waitlist either, my old professor just emailed me, probably as a courtesy since she was my thesis advisor and I've been bugging her for the past 3 years. She said that visit day was March 17th for everyone that got accepted first round if that helps with a timeline. Also, I'm East Asian History too, so that probably means that they've decided on the East Asian admits if they got a wait list goin. Hope that helps!

Not hearing anything by now seems like a bad sign but then again I didn't have prior contact with any POI so maybe I'll hear back when they send out the official notices. Done with my FLAS app but not sure if I can get my 2 reccs on time or not so we'll see... 

Guys, I am really sorry, but I feel so traumatized by my application experience that I have a need to talk to people about it. I just posted my first blog post about GRE prep and would love if somebody read it. Its in my signature. Thanks

7 minutes ago, emmabear said:

Guys, I am really sorry, but I feel so traumatized by my application experience that I have a need to talk to people about it. I just posted my first blog post about GRE prep and would love if somebody read it. Its in my signature. Thanks

The app fees traumatized me.

Ok, so a guy on the inside at UCLA told me that last Friday the history dept did indeed make all of their decisions for new students in all fields. No word on whether they already sent out all the acceptances though. My POI notified me the day after. He had my number and he was already my MA thesis advisor. If that weren't the case, then he might not have let me know so soon, so unless you already know two people in your field that have been accepted into UCLA then there is still hope! Though IIRC he told me I was the only Latin American history admit, so if you work on Latin American history then you're probably not getting in, sorry, but never say never, I may choose another school. PSU is looking pretty tempting after talking to the head of the dept there today.  

8 hours ago, emmabear said:

I wonder how people manage to pay for 10 apps + additional test reports 

or, you squander a whole semester's loan refund and justify that "it's basically a career expense! totally responsible spending!" 

also @johnnycomelately thanks for the response! hopefully I'll hear back some news either way in the near future. :)

10 hours ago, scrivere said:

Yet another post wondering whether we know if Michigan and Yale are done? I haven't heard from either yet. For those of you who were admitted, what are your fields?

Is anyone planning to attend Northwestern's visiting days in March? If so, PM me and maybe we can meet up. :)

As of yesterday Yale said decisions should be sent out later this week. 

I am assuming (for myself)  that they have sent out their acceptances already, and only the rejects shall hear later this week. Though my vain heart wants to believe that given the size of their incoming cohort (about 22 according to their website),  they might be staggering acceptances and therefore I might still have a chance :)

Me, I've heard absolutely nothing form NYU. Nothing from POI, not rejected, not accepted, not waitlisted, silence...was actually looking forward to getting rejected when I saw the rejections up on the board because at least I would have an answer.

9 hours ago, emmabear said:

Only applied to 2 schools so wasn't too bad. I wonder how people manage to pay for 10 apps + additional test reports 

I had to take out a small student loan to cover the costs. :mellow: It was only a few hundred dollars, but I had no other option.

2 hours ago, Josh J. said:

What is with the University of Oklahoma not having funding for anyone?  I almost applied as they have a good American West program...

This is a complicated, yet fairly brief, story.

Most of the state's income is based off of oil (not surprising). Oil prices have tanked. Oklahoma's tax income has been horrendously lowered. University of Oklahoma is facing a 20 million dollar budget reduction. 

https://ou.edu/content/publicaffairs/archives/OUPresidentDavidLBorenPresents20MillionBudgetReductionPlan.html

I believe the state's income has and will be lowered by ~15% by next year. That's a lot of money they can't give to education.

If I didn't receive a waitlist or acceptance email from Michigan, I should lose hope huh? I'm only a little angry because they interviewed me, and I have no idea why. Also does anyone know if Harvard has already released their initial acceptances?

1 hour ago, voforange said:

If I didn't receive a waitlist or acceptance email from Michigan, I should lose hope huh? I'm only a little angry because they interviewed me, and I have no idea why. Also does anyone know if Harvard has already released their initial acceptances?

Yes, Harvard has sent some of them out.

Edited by insidethesun
To clarify