Fall 2016 Applicants

missmend

6 minutes ago, anxietygirl said:

Okay, if I have heard nothing from UCLA, is it time to admit defeat? I'm already into my second choice program and the waiting is getting really annoying. 

I've given up on UCLA, which is disappointing because it was my dream school and top choice. It's weird how this whole process works though. I thought I had a good chance of getting accepted there based on my interests. Instead, I was fortunate and surprised by being admitted to Michigan, where I never even imagined I had a chance at. I suppose at the end we'll all end up exactly where we're supposed to.   

28 minutes ago, Neist said:

Congrats. ;) 

It is very cathartic hearing something, even if it's a bad something.

Absolutely. I want to be done with this process asap so I can decide on the next five -  seven years of my life asap. :)

1 hour ago, jstubbl4 said:

My area is medieval western religious history.  What's yours?  

At UT and Vanderbilt, American Religious History. Everywhere else, American West/Environmental.

7 hours ago, Josh J. said:
2 minutes ago, Josh J. said:

At UT and Vanderbilt, American Religious History. Everywhere else, American West/Environmental.

Oh cool!  I've done some US religious history, but it has always been peripheral to my primary focus of medieval history.  Interesting stuff, though.  I'm guessing since it is 6:50 EST, we won't here anything about our academic fates until Monday at the soonest.  Oh, well, best of luck to you!

On 2/11/2016 at 6:51 PM, hbnj said:

Hi. I got an email from the DGS for History that I had been recommended for admission along with funding info and their invitation weekend. It said the formal admissions letters for the university would be coming "next week or so." Hope that helps! 

Thanks. I guess that means rejection then. 

5 hours ago, anxietygirl said:

Okay, if I have heard nothing from UCLA, is it time to admit defeat? I'm already into my second choice program and the waiting is getting really annoying. 

I feel the same way. Someone on this board who got accepted said that they made decisions last friday. WHY KEEP US WAITING?!!!

53 minutes ago, LittleMickey said:

I feel the same way. Someone on this board who got accepted said that they made decisions last friday. WHY KEEP US WAITING?!!!

I applied to the program last year (and this year). UCLA seems to send out their acceptances around now, but staggers out their rejections. I found out that I was rejected March 6th, when almost everybody else found out in mid to late February.

1 hour ago, JR said:

I applied to the program last year (and this year). UCLA seems to send out their acceptances around now, but staggers out their rejections. I found out that I was rejected March 6th, when almost everybody else found out in mid to late February.

Quite rude. Hopefully you get in this year! And hopefully we will hear from them soon. What field are you applying to?

4 hours ago, HAPPYDuck said:

Quite rude. Hopefully you get in this year! And hopefully we will hear from them soon. What field are you applying to?

Thanks, same to you! I applied to the Early Modern Europe field. 

I got into Wayne State University in Detroit. Got offered a decent fellowship. I don't think I shall be taking it up however.  

Has anyone heard from Columbia? 

Just saw a Columbia admit. Congratulations!! 

Edited by RamyaS

Has anyone heard from University of Arizona or know anything about their timeline? I was looking through the results and in past years their decisions were normally out by now. 

That's actually a really personal decision I think. It's going to be different for everyone. Some people think it's more important to choose the highest ranked program they get into because it'll increase their chance of getting a job. Other people think choosing the program with the best fit will set them up to do the best research possible and thus increase their chance of getting a job. I based my decision on a combination of those things, plus funding and department culture. I didn't choose the highest ranked program to which I was admitted (based on US News, which has its own issues), but the ranking between the programs wasn't so far off that I was concerned it would be detrimental. I would look closely at placement at both programs, firstly. Additionally, if the rank difference is extreme (like top 10 vs. below 50 or something), then that would make me lean more heavily toward the higher ranked program. Then again, if I didn't think I could do my best work or might not even get through a PhD at the higher ranked place, that would also come into consideration.

Whatever you decide, it's got to be something you're happy with in the end, regardless of what everyone else would choose.

51 minutes ago, hbnj said:

I know this question has probably been asked multiple times, but what's more important fit or rank? 

It depends on the degree of fit and the net difference in rank. Low difference in rank and high difference in fit? Fit is more important. Low difference in rank and low difference in fit? Probably fit. High difference in rank and low difference in fit? Rank. High difference in rank and high difference in fit? Probably rank.

If I get into two similarly ranked programs, I will most likely prioritize funding over fit (as long as fit is not too disparate). My project will depend on international travel, so funding is important to me. Also, my spouse is a current PhD student with a graduate student stipend, so our personal finances have to be a consideration in my decision.

38 minutes ago, tenemental said:

Anyone know if Harvard and Columbia are done sending out offers? I see a couple from both, but not as many admits as have been reported in past years yet. 

Thanks!

RamyaS got an email saying that they'd send out final decisions tomorrow. If you don't hear from them, you can assume you did not get in.

Just now, Oliveur said:

RamyaS got an email saying that they'd send out final decisions tomorrow. If you don't hear from them, you can assume you did not get in.

Thanks, Oliveur! That's regarding Columbia, Harvard, or both?

Has anybody else not heard anything from Yale? I haven't received a rejection yet, and there is nothing on the website. I think it might be because I applied to the Renaissance Studies program in conjunction with the history program, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?