2016 Canadian SLP Thread

29 minutes ago, tillersaurus said:

Can we all promise to immediately post on here if we get a call or e-mail? I'm already dying even though I can't possibly imagine anyone getting back to me earlier than next week, even if I'm in the first wave of accepted applicants.

I alternate between thinking "HA! Getting in is going to be a breeze, I'm obviously fully qualified and everyone will accept me" and "Oh god, why did I even apply, I won't be able to look anyone in the eye and tell them I got five rejections."

Also, does anyone know when Dal sent out acceptances last year? Their website says that it'll be sometime in April or May, and that's an awfully big window of time! If I get in elsewhere, though, I probably wouldn't go to Dal just because of the full extra year of their program (no prerequisites, my ass - you just have to take a full year to do them at Dal after already completing them for the other schools).

I agree we should all definately post our acceptances and rejections. Also, if anyone wants to also mention their subGPA and volunteer experience so we know what successful applicants look like. I am definitely in your "oh god why did i even apply.." stage I only applied to one school  to boot!

Just now, speechies said:

I agree we should all definately post our acceptances and rejections. Also, if anyone wants to also mention their subGPA and volunteer experience so we know what successful applicants look like. I am definitely in your "oh god why did i even apply.." stage I only applied to one school  to boot!

i kinda feel like were all doing it on the results page anyway right? thats my go to place to check

2 hours ago, tillersaurus said:

Can we all promise to immediately post on here if we get a call or e-mail? I'm already dying even though I can't possibly imagine anyone getting back to me earlier than next week, even if I'm in the first wave of accepted applicants.

I alternate between thinking "HA! Getting in is going to be a breeze, I'm obviously fully qualified and everyone will accept me" and "Oh god, why did I even apply, I won't be able to look anyone in the eye and tell them I got five rejections."

Also, does anyone know when Dal sent out acceptances last year? Their website says that it'll be sometime in April or May, and that's an awfully big window of time! If I get in elsewhere, though, I probably wouldn't go to Dal just because of the full extra year of their program (no prerequisites, my ass - you just have to take a full year to do them at Dal after already completing them for the other schools).

I definitely relate to the weird alternation between confidence and doubt. It's bizarre. And there's this kind of confidence-based doubt where I get really nervous about the fact that I'm confident because I know it will be all the more crushing if the news is bad.

Dal started sending out applications on March 13th last year. This year that falls on a Sunday, and I'm not sure whether that would delay, move up, or not affect when they would start this year. McGill is apparently known for their March 12th start date, which again, falls on a Saturday, so I'm not sure whether that will change.

Whoa, is that really how Dal plots it? Man, that would suck. I've been putting off doing an in-depth review of the course content of the schools I applied to because I don't want to get really excited about one particular school and then be too crushed if I don't get in. I like the idea of going to Dalhousie particularly for the location (I love the east coast) but the extra year is daunting, if only in terms of finances.

Oh, and yes, I will definitely come straight here when I hear anything. The results page too, but this thread will be my first stop.

Edited by treaclemineroad

That's so funny, because I grew up on the east coast (well, NL, which is only a little farther than the east coast) and part of my decision-making process has been trying to get somewhere a little farther away from home than Halifax. My mother is devastated that I am leaning towards Alberta if I get my pick of places.

And I was definitely a little harsh on Dal's timeline! They describe their first year as a foundation year, but only five of the courses look like they would mostly cover the same material as courses I've already done - that's getting pretty close to a full term's worth, though, and I know I would find that disheartening if I had to sit through so much of the same information I've covered over the last year or so. 

I'm willing to bet that the courses would still be at least somewhat different, since they'd be coming at it from the perspective of a practicing S-LP!

8 hours ago, tillersaurus said:

That's so funny, because I grew up on the east coast (well, NL, which is only a little farther than the east coast) and part of my decision-making process has been trying to get somewhere a little farther away from home than Halifax. My mother is devastated that I am leaning towards Alberta if I get my pick of places.

And I was definitely a little harsh on Dal's timeline! They describe their first year as a foundation year, but only five of the courses look like they would mostly cover the same material as courses I've already done - that's getting pretty close to a full term's worth, though, and I know I would find that disheartening if I had to sit through so much of the same information I've covered over the last year or so. 

I'm willing to bet that the courses would still be at least somewhat different, since they'd be coming at it from the perspective of a practicing S-LP!

Ha, even better -- Alberta is my last-ranked choice. Of the schools I applied to, at least. I'd rather go to Alberta than Western, for eg.

If money were no object (ha), I wouldn't be so bothered about the idea of having a significant amount of review in the first year. It might be nice to ease into it, review older concepts, collaborate with out-of-majors. Money is very much an object, though, of course. Am I the only one annoyed that Ontario is starting up a new tuition program just in time for me to leave the province? Not gonna lie, it's a bit of a sore spot. Terrible timing, Ontario.

On 2016-02-29 at 10:25 AM, Hopeful_SLP said:

Hopefully sooner rather than later. Does anyone know when and how Toronto notifies applicants? I've heard it's on April 1st, similar to Western, but is it via an online system or just email? 

Last year, Toronto emailed applicants on April 1 who were accepted and also wait listed, and then rejections were sent out via regular mail that same day.

54 minutes ago, SLPka said:

Last year, Toronto emailed applicants on April 1 who were accepted and also wait listed, and then rejections were sent out via regular mail that same day.

Yup, that's correct

also, anyone who is hoping for ubc I withdrew my application today, hopefully that gets someone in :)

19 minutes ago, klfstudent said:

Congrats!! Did your uApply status change? 

No, actually! It still says "In Review" - I had to double-check who my references were earlier so that I could thank them profusely, haha

4 minutes ago, tillersaurus said:

Just so everyone knows, the deadline for decisions on McGill acceptances is the 31st - not sure that I like that with the ORPAS decision announcement date on the 1st at the earliest.

That's really annoying. It's almost like they did that on purpose...

Just now, treaclemineroad said:

Oh my god, I'm kicking myself, the one time I don't bring my phone to class. I'm going out of my mind over here. Something's being said about ASDs in this lecture but I'm not digesting it at all.

I really did not think it would be until next week! Of COURSE nobody is ready for it today. I answered the phone like "Hi.... Yeah, this is _____, .... and who exactly is it that's calling?" without even thinking, whoops. I tried to be extremely polite and professional for the rest of the call, haha

Didn't get a call. The results page for McGill SLP '15 shows acceptances from the 11-13th. Do we think it's possible that they've spread out the acceptances (first round, I mean) over several days? I wonder if they do them alphabetically. tillersaurus, where-ish does your surname sit in the alphabet? (Might be nonsense but I'll take anything that would abate my anxiety for the moment.)

12 minutes ago, treaclemineroad said:

Didn't get a call. The results page for McGill SLP '15 shows acceptances from the 11-13th. Do we think it's possible that they've spread out the acceptances (first round, I mean) over several days? I wonder if they do them alphabetically. tillersaurus, where-ish does your surname sit in the alphabet? (Might be nonsense but I'll take anything that would abate my anxiety for the moment.)

I'm feeling the same way! I'm in the top quarter of the alphabet and didn't get a call. Although I realized I never put my phone number on my application and just put it in later today so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm guessing they'll call tomorrow too. 

3 hours ago, treaclemineroad said:

My last name starts with T! So it's pretty far down there. They might also be going by other things than name (location, maybe?), who knows

29 minutes ago, psycoleinguist said:

I just checked the results website, and 6 people got an acceptance at McGill. Congrats to them! ;) How many students do they have every year?

They say they accept 27 students. It's worrying me that there's been so many acceptances today. I'm hoping for another day of calls for us! 

On March 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM, speechies said:

A friend of mine is in her first year of SLP at McGill and last year, they made phone calls for three days! There is still hope for us :)