Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

11 minutes ago, Spud N Sudz said:

This is unrelated to this thread:  How does one add the schools they've applied to to their profile as a checklist as decisions come in. I see that several people have this as a signature.

If the question is how to edit your signature: go to Account Settings, click on the Signature tab, add whatever text you want, and save. 

7 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

Any one wants to claim the UMASS waitlist? It looks pretty unusual that UMASS waitlist comes before UMASS acceptance based on the result in the past.

That's me. I agree that it's strange for waitlist emails to go out before acceptances, but I received an email from Alice Harris last night. No details about number of applicants or how many people are receiving offers of admission, but a nice general message that they were very interested in my application and are confident that I would do well in their program, but they must be cautious about making too many offers of admission at one time due to a commitment to funding all students and not just a select few. With how selective of a program it is, I'm honestly honored to even be on the waitlist even if I never make it off the waitlist.

1 minute ago, tonedeaf said:

That's me. I agree that it's strange for waitlist emails to go out before acceptances, but I received an email from Alice Harris last night. No details about number of applicants or how many people are receiving offers of admission, but a nice general message that they were very interested in my application and are confident that I would do well in their program, but they must be cautious about making too many offers of admission at one time due to a commitment to funding all students and not just a select few. With how selective of a program it is, I'm honestly honored to even be on the waitlist even if I never make it off the waitlist.

Wow, that's amazing, congrats!

4 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Congrats! I do not receive anything from her. Not sure whether this is a good sign or bad sign. 

Any interviewed with Delaware in the past? It sounds very strange that it looks like that the DGS of Delaware (he is not my POI) is going to conduct an one-on-one interview with me. I had never experienced this kind of one-on-one interview with DGS. 

Anyone has any idea about this kind of one-on-one Skype thing?

19 minutes ago, canaan.breiss said:

Wow, that's amazing, congrats!

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

Congrats! I do not receive anything from her. Not sure whether this is a good sign or bad sign. 

Thanks! I think it could be a good sign. Perhaps I was a definite waitlist person for them and they're still going through a small number of applications to decide who will get waitlisted and who will get offers.

5 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Thanks!

Thanks! I think it could be a good sign. Perhaps I was a definite waitlist person for them and they're still going through a small number of applications to decide who will get waitlisted and who will get offers.

Hahaha, wow, I like that explanation of why I haven't heard! Thanks

6 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Thanks!

haha, oh well! I like this explanation too!

Finally received the rejection from UIUC that I knew was coming. 

Now if only CUNY would get back to me! I'm flying to NY next week to visit my parents before flying to Arizona, and only have a few days with my parents whom I haven't seen in a year. I need to know if I need to squeeze in a visit to CUNY's campus or not! I don't have the money nor time to fly back to the US for another visit. I'm seriously considering sending them an email to ask, but I wouldn't know who to send the email to! The program chair? The admissions office at the graduate center? Like I don't want to be pushy or anything, but I need to know :( 

10 minutes ago, vonham said:

Finally received the rejection from UIUC that I knew was coming. 

Now if only CUNY would get back to me! I'm flying to NY next week to visit my parents before flying to Arizona, and only have a few days with my parents whom I haven't seen in a year. I need to know if I need to squeeze in a visit to CUNY's campus or not! I don't have the money nor time to fly back to the US for another visit. I'm seriously considering sending them an email to ask, but I wouldn't know who to send the email to! The program chair? The admissions office at the graduate center? Like I don't want to be pushy or anything, but I need to know :( 

What I usually do is to send two separate emails, one to POIs, and one to DGS, to ask for result. In my past experience, it looks like POIs are more forthcoming to give out results earlier than the formal result comes out. Some DGS are not that forthcoming, and will ask you to wait until the department send out formal notification. Either way, send to both two separate emails, and there is nothing to lose.

Edited by historicallinguist

2 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

What I usually do is to send two separate emails, one to POIs, and one to DGS, to ask for result. In my past experience, it looks like POIs are more forthcoming to give out results earlier than the formal result comes out. Some DGS are not that forthcoming, and will ask you to wait until the department send out formal notification. Either way, send to both two separate emails, and there is nothing to lose.

Thanks for the advice. I dunno, I guess I feel uncomfortable emailing the POIs (ie the professors I mentioned in my SOP) because it's not like I've previously communicated with them. Maybe I'll wait until Monday *sigh*

9 minutes ago, vonham said:

Thanks for the advice. I dunno, I guess I feel uncomfortable emailing the POIs (ie the professors I mentioned in my SOP) because it's not like I've previously communicated with them. Maybe I'll wait until Monday *sigh*

Wait until Monday, and then I suggest you email the DGS and explain the situation. Don't just ask for your application status or when a decision will be made without explaining why you are asking -- mention that you are coming from overseas and already have a flight booked, and that you'd love to visit CUNY, if it becomes relevant. Personally, if it were me, I'd plan to have 1-2 days open in my schedule to be in NYC regardless, so if you hear back and it's a yes, you go visit on those dates, if it's a no, you're a tourist, and if you haven't heard back, you ask to visit anyway and explain that that's when you're in town. Most schools won't say no to that, since it's not going to cost them anything. 

53 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Wait until Monday, and then I suggest you email the DGS and explain the situation. Don't just ask for your application status or when a decision will be made without explaining why you are asking -- mention that you are coming from overseas and already have a flight booked, and that you'd love to visit CUNY, if it becomes relevant. Personally, if it were me, I'd plan to have 1-2 days open in my schedule to be in NYC regardless, so if you hear back and it's a yes, you go visit on those dates, if it's a no, you're a tourist, and if you haven't heard back, you ask to visit anyway and explain that that's when you're in town. Most schools won't say no to that, since it's not going to cost them anything. 

Thanks, that's solid advice.  Monday it is! 

23 hours ago, historicallinguist said:

Any interviewed with Delaware in the past? It sounds very strange that it looks like that the DGS of Delaware (he is not my POI) is going to conduct an one-on-one interview with me. I had never experienced this kind of one-on-one interview with DGS. 

Anyone has any idea about this kind of one-on-one Skype thing?

Hey, I had an interview with Delaware last year, but it was with my POI. And based on my experience it should be a good sign since by the time I got the interview I was shortlisted for acceptance and I got the official mail just a couple of days after.

It was a very chill call,so be relaxed! he basically just wanted to talk about my general plans for the future and get to know me. We talked a bit about his research and the kind of stuff I was interested in. Also, he wanted to  see if I was aware that his main focus was comp phonology, since my SOP was more focused on syntax and comp psycholing.

Even if I didn't end up there in the end, it was very helpful in getting  a better  understanding of what I was/am interested in and how different department could give very different contributions to that.

1 hour ago, Garyon said:

Hey, I had an interview with Delaware last year, but it was with my POI. And based on my experience it should be a good sign since by the time I got the interview I was shortlisted for acceptance and I got the official mail just a couple of days after.

It was a very chill call,so be relaxed! he basically just wanted to talk about my general plans for the future and get to know me. We talked a bit about his research and the kind of stuff I was interested in. Also, he wanted to  see if I was aware that his main focus was comp phonology, since my SOP was more focused on syntax and comp psycholing.

Even if I didn't end up there in the end, it was very helpful in getting  a better  understanding of what I was/am interested in and how different department could give very different contributions to that.

I am going to PM you now.

On 2/16/2016 at 10:11 AM, vonham said:

I'm actually sort of dreading that because 1. I'm not an especially active person 2. I literally own sandals and rain boots and that's it haha.  I think I'll borrow more sensible shoes for the trip :P

But yeah, totally excited.  Mostly happy that it's not cold over there! I checked and the weather is about the same as it is in israel, so that's awesome 

The hike is usually pretty tame! We don't want to wear any of you out, just show you how beautiful this part of Arizona is! :) 

I mean, I know I didn't get into UCLA- but it seems people have got acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections? Did anyone here get a rejection from them? How/when did you hear about it? I've gotten no emails and when I log in to the website, it says that no decision has been made yet :/

8 hours ago, wine-ing said:

I mean, I know I didn't get into UCLA- but it seems people have got acceptances, wait-lists, and rejections? Did anyone here get a rejection from them? How/when did you hear about it? I've gotten no emails and when I log in to the website, it says that no decision has been made yet :/

I got a rejection via e-mail this morning 

4 minutes ago, WVE said:

I got a rejection via e-mail this morning 

Oh, sorry to hear it. I'm assuming mine is coming soon, but I have no idea why they don't do them all at once... :/

44 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

Oh, sorry to hear it. I'm assuming mine is coming soon, but I have no idea why they don't do them all at once... :/

Sometimes, they put people on hold besides the the people on the waitlist, because they are not sure whether the accepted people are going to accept their offers or not. That happened last year in Rutgers, and I was put on hold (not waitlisted) and then waitlisted until quite late (around May) when eventually I got my rej.

Edited by historicallinguist

45 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

But to be very honest, I am afraid that this is not a very good sign. The chance is that you can never exclude the possibility that many of the accepted people may decline their offers for various reason. Let's wait and see what will happen.

8 minutes ago, historicallinguist said:

But to be very honest, I am afraid that this is not a very good sign. The chance is that you can never exclude the possibility that many of the accepted people may decline their offers for various reason. Let's wait and see what will happen.

I mean, realistically, I do have a really good offer from a school that I'm happy to go to. So, it's not as heartbreaking- I just want the closure.

On 19/2/2016 at 11:41 PM, historicallinguist said:

Looks like I am out of luck. I saw a result showing UMASS sent out unofficial acceptance two days ago.

There is only one acceptance and one wait listed on the results page... do you think we should assume rejection?