Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

7 hours ago, adel rahimi said:

I got my unofficial rejection email from Sun-ah jun (UCLA) ?? it was my top choice and I really wanted to work with her... Congrats to those who got in. Great school and great faculty...enjoy.

and by the way she said that they have notified all the accepted and waitlisted applicants. So if you haven't heard from them you are probably rejected.

*sigh* that sucks. I'll console myself with saying that the fit wasn't good enough to justify moving to the States.

Here's hoping for good news from the Canadian schools...

13 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

*sigh* that sucks. I'll console myself with saying that the fit wasn't good enough to justify moving to the States.

Canada is clearly superior in all things that matter :P

17 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

Send me positive thoughts about getting good news from these schools~ I need it <3

~positive thoughts abound~ 

*when* you get into a Canadian school, there will be a day when you're sitting at your desk sipping tea and reading ridiculously interesting articles, and you'll hear a ridiculous news story about something totally weird going on in the US, and you'll sigh happily, knowing you dodged a bullet there. 

(disclaimer: I've never actually been to Canada, but I've always thought it'd probably be a better place to live) 

25 minutes ago, vonham said:

~positive thoughts abound~ 

*when* you get into a Canadian school, there will be a day when you're sitting at your desk sipping tea and reading ridiculously interesting articles, and you'll hear a ridiculous news story about something totally weird going on in the US, and you'll sigh happily, knowing you dodged a bullet there. 

(disclaimer: I've never actually been to Canada, but I've always thought it'd probably be a better place to live) 

Well, I mean, one of my biggest fears was going to the US and then Trump getting elected and then everything being a mess. So, I guess that's not a concern anymore! 

7 minutes ago, wine-ing said:

Well, I mean, one of my biggest fears was going to the US and then Trump getting elected and then everything being a mess. So, I guess that's not a concern anymore! 

I still fear this. I'm just happy that at least this time I'll be able to vote...I moved to Israel before I was of legal voting age in the US, so I never voted. 

2 hours ago, wine-ing said:

may I ask how was your CV?

In my case it was my top school,I had related papers and related writing samples. I made sure that my recomms are personalized and my SOP was great (I had my thesis proposal ready, and since I was going to work on phonology  I even recorded my corpus!) actually my cv's weak points were 1.I just got my undergrad degree so my research experience was close to none and 2.my degree was from a rank ~20 in Iran.

Anyone heard from U-M ? it's my second top choice.

12 minutes ago, adel rahimi said:

In my case it was my top school,I had related papers and related writing samples. I made sure that my recomms are personalized and my SOP was great (I had my thesis proposal ready, and since I was going to work on phonology  I even recorded my corpus!) actually my cv's weak points were 1.I just got my undergrad degree so my research experience was close to none and 2.my degree was from a rank ~20 in Iran.

Hey there :) Interviews seemed to have been sent out for michigan a couple of weeks ago. We commiserated about it a couple of pages back. If you search "linguistics michigan" on the results page you'll see the interview posts. Of course nothing is final, but I was a bit discouraged not to get an interview invite :( 

Aside from UCLA and mich, what other schools did you apply for?  

1 minute ago, vonham said:

Hey there :) Interviews seemed to have been sent out for michigan a couple of weeks ago. We commiserated about it a couple of pages back. If you search "linguistics michigan" on the results page you'll see the interview posts. Of course nothing is final, but I was a bit discouraged not to get an interview invite :( 

Aside from UCLA and mich, what other schools did you apply for?  

I've seen the interview submissions, but I wanted to know if there were any actual results. I don't know if Umich interviews all the applicants they consider to admit but I assume I was rejected from U-M as well. :(

I applied to 3 school: UCLA (Sun-ah Jun), Umich (Steven Abney), and UConn (Harry van der Hulst)

My research interest is intonation phonology and in general prosodic phonology.

10 hours ago, adel rahimi said:

I got my unofficial rejection email from Sun-ah jun (UCLA) ?? it was my top choice and I really wanted to work with her... Congrats to those who got in. Great school and great faculty...enjoy.

and by the way she said that they have notified all the accepted and waitlisted applicants. So if you haven't heard from them you are probably rejected.

My top choice as well T T oh dear...

Just few days ago when my POI at NYU asking if I'm waiting to hear back from any other schools so that they can coordinate the arrangement for open house, I almost wanted to tell her unfortunately not like many other admits who's gonna visit you to choose between programs, I'm most likely just gonna be there knowing I'm gonna be there next fall lol.

Well, don't get too disappointed. It's supposed to be one of the most competitive programs so in the end it's not really about how great every component of your app is cos that's the case for everyone who made it to the final pool...

2 hours ago, adel rahimi said:

I do phonetics-phonology interface. I'm doing a masters degree in Canada at one of the better schools here. (My BA school was second tier.) I have a relatively prestigious Canadian MA level federal scholarship and two years of lab experience. I have two conference presentations and a publication in a small conference proceeding. 

My research fit wasn't 100% though. The location would have been awesome though because I want to work on west coast dialects and phonetic realizations and how they support phonological theory. 

UCLA was one of my top choices. UBC is second I think. I'm assuming rejection from Michigan. But oh well.

18 hours ago, vonham said:

Interesting! I am actually taking a course on loan word phonology this semester.  We talk mostly about English loanwords into Hebrew (cuz I live in israel ). But my term paper in that class is the opposite: english hebrew bilingual use of loanwords from hebrew to english.  From a previous project (my writing sample) I have a pretty hefty corpus of bilingual interaction and basically am trying to tease apart loanwords from 1 word switches.  

I actually don't know the details of the funding package, except that for linguistics funding is guaranteed for 4 years, and for the ANLI program, 5 years.   But I don't know amounts or anything.  Nor do I know anything about Tucson, except that I perused the city guide thread here and it said that a 1 bedroom apartment costs around $400-600, which is pretty cheap coming from where I am.  Anyway if you were told numbers kindly PM me that information.  Otherwise I figure I'll just ask when I'm at the recruitment weekend. 

Wow, what kind of work are you doing in Israel? Maybe it would be better to continue via PM, so that we don't clog this thread, fascinating though this is. I'd also love to hear about your work with loanwords, and verbs in particular.

57 minutes ago, Sora said:

Just when I kinda assumed rejection form UCLA...got an email saying I'm wait listed

I never thought I could be this thrilled just be on the wait list!

Is it just me or is UCLA's process strange this year? There were reported, at roughly the same time, an acceptance and a rejection (and now a wait list (congrats btw)). I've yet to hear anything myself. Isn't the trend usually acceptances > wait lists > rejections? I realize more people apply to these schools than post on this website...but still, UCLA is a big school that I'm sure a lot of us have applied to and I haven't heard much? I'm sure this is just my paranoia kicking in...

4 minutes ago, WVE said:

Is it just me or is UCLA's process strange this year? There were reported, at roughly the same time, an acceptance and a rejection (and now a wait list (congrats btw)). I've yet to hear anything myself. Isn't the trend usually acceptances > wait lists > rejections? I realize more people apply to these schools than post on this website...but still, UCLA is a big school that I'm sure a lot of us have applied to and I haven't heard much? I'm sure this is just my paranoia kicking in...

Thx! My friend got her wait-list email half hour later after mine, so I guess they're probably just sending WL today. The wording of the email sounds like they've already made all the decisions tho...

Anyone heard anything from UC Santa Cruz? Their deadline was mid December this year, and according to last year's results, they should have done some interview and/or sending out open house invitations by now. Weird...

4 hours ago, Sora said:

Just when I kinda assumed rejection form UCLA...got an email saying I'm wait listed

I never thought I could be this thrilled just be on the wait list!

What a great news, congrats.  

And by the way, yes they have made all the decisions.

3 hours ago, WVE said:

I agree that was strange, I wasn't looking for any rejection/WL any time sooner than the end of Feb. But in the end I'm just sure that I have been rejected and I can focus on other things, hate to be waiting.

Got an official rejection from Mich. Glad they didn't keep me hanging too long. Knew I was rejected when I did not receive an invite to the interviews. Ah well. 

41 minutes ago, vonham said:

Got an official rejection from Mich. Glad they didn't keep me hanging too long. Knew I was rejected when I did not receive an invite to the interviews. Ah well. 

Did you email them? Or they sent you an email? Who contacted you? I emailed student service coordinator but she hasn't replied my email since yesterday.  

8 minutes ago, Adera said:

Did you email them? Or they sent you an email? Who contacted you? I emailed student service coordinator but she hasn't replied my email since yesterday.  

I saw that someone said that they received the notice via the website. So I logged in using the Wolverine login info they sent me when I first submitted my application, and a new button "view decision" appeared, so I clicked it. 

Hello!

Has anyone been to an pre-admission Open House (this year or a past year)? I'm wondering what the vibe is like among attendees, what the department is looking for at that point, etc. Any insight or reflections would be interesting to hear.

Hang in there everybody!

Edited by schwa

20 minutes ago, vonham said:

I saw that someone said that they received the notice via the website. So I logged in using the Wolverine login info they sent me when I first submitted my application, and a new button "view decision" appeared, so I clicked it. 

same here, rejected! I wasn't expecting much though. I changed my mind to apply for umich instead of uchicago 2 days before the deadlines!

No word from Georgetown yet, but somebody just posted that they were admitted. If you read this, could you please let us know what concentration you applied to?

Edited by Colombo