Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

10 hours ago, wine-ing said:

I think my first choice is a certain school in the states and my second is in Canada, so I'm hoping that my choice to do the MA will help. (Hopefully it doesn't make me look bad for taking longer to get to the PhD for the states.)

Oh I see, yeah, that makes a lot of sense to me, coming from Europe. I'm still not quite used to the idea of being able to jump straight from a BA to a PhD, and may also end up doing a masters in the end :)

On 11/30/2015, 5:24:37, wine-ing said:

I think my first choice is a certain school in the states and my second is in Canada, so I'm hoping that my choice to do the MA will help. (Hopefully it doesn't make me look bad for taking longer to get to the PhD for the states.)

It doesn't! I've never heard of a program not accepting anyone because they have an MA (whether from Canada or elsewhere). Half of my cohort of eight has an MA (myself included).

By the way, I'm also Canadian, and I'm currently doing my PhD in the US after doing my BA and MA in Canada. Feel free to PM me if you want!

So um, anyone else applying to UCSB? I was very surprised to hear back a few days ago from a POI requesting a Skype conversation. I think the conversation went well. I was told that in the next week or two they would be getting back to people regarding "where their application stands", but I don't really know what this means. I see on the website it says that all short-listed applicants are invited to a campus visit in January, so maybe this informal interview was to determine who they're going to invite or not? I'm (pleasantly) surprised by how soon I heard back from them. 

Of course I keep doubting the things that I said in the informal interview, and generally being anxious about it. I think I have some ability, usually, to tell if these things go well or not, but I really had a tough time telling either way. 

Anyway, has anyone else had similar contact from UCSB? 

18 hours ago, vonham said:

So um, anyone else applying to UCSB? I was very surprised to hear back a few days ago from a POI requesting a Skype conversation. I think the conversation went well. I was told that in the next week or two they would be getting back to people regarding "where their application stands", but I don't really know what this means. I see on the website it says that all short-listed applicants are invited to a campus visit in January, so maybe this informal interview was to determine who they're going to invite or not? I'm (pleasantly) surprised by how soon I heard back from them. 

Of course I keep doubting the things that I said in the informal interview, and generally being anxious about it. I think I have some ability, usually, to tell if these things go well or not, but I really had a tough time telling either way. 

Anyway, has anyone else had similar contact from UCSB? 

You heard back from them already? When was the deadline?!

7 hours ago, wine-ing said:

You heard back from them already? When was the deadline?!

The deadline was December 1st. I was also surprised that they got back to me so soon. Seems like they're trying to send out invites for the campus visit/interview weekend before the holidays, which makes sense, since the website states that it's sometimes in January. On the other hand I just spoke to a post-doc (who is my sociolinguistic lecturer) and he said that when he applied like 6 years ago they only invited those that they accepted. But on the website it says "short-listed" people are invited. So I really don't know. I'm happy I don't have any apps due the next week or two so that I can properly be a bundle of nerves over hearing back from them. 

• 4 weeks later...

congrats to the person who got accepted to UIUC! I'm sweatin' here. The deadline was on the 5th; how are they getting back to people so early?! unless they begin to review apps before the deadline, if you submit them early. Which I guess makes sense. 

On my last app now, for Arizona (the ANLI program). This is the app that's giving me the most anxiety. And I just realized that my grades from my 1st year soc/anth double major is not reflected on my transcript for some weird weird reason. Obviously these grades are hella important for this specific program, and I don't know if I can fix the problem and get the new transcripts in time for the Friday deadline. So that sucks. 

But on the bright side, on Friday (or before!) I'll be able to officially say I'm done with these apps (ok ok, unless I decide to apply for Tulane). 

3 hours ago, vonham said:

congrats to the person who got accepted to UIUC! I'm sweatin' here. The deadline was on the 5th; how are they getting back to people so early?! unless they begin to review apps before the deadline, if you submit them early. Which I guess makes sense. 

On my last app now, for Arizona (the ANLI program)....

I'm on my last app too. So nervous.

On January 9, 2016 at 9:04 AM, vonham said:

At least one person got accepted really early on last year too, on Jan 6th (you can do a search and see). Looked like most of the others heard back in February.

Good luck to everyone! :)

Edited by rainbowpink
grammar/spelling

18 hours ago, rainbowpink said:

At least one person got accepted really early on last year too, on Jan 6th (you can do a search and see). Looked like most of the others heard back in February.

Good luck to everyone! :)

That's so weird! I wonder why it's like that? Oh well. Meanwhile yesterday I got an email from Illinois, but it was just to fill out their survey. My heart nearly jumped to my throat. 

Hey y'all!

I've been nervously waiting to hear back from schools and stumbled across this forum. This is my second time applying so hope it works out this round. I'm still finishing up my Toronto SOP- cutting it in half to fit the 1 page rec.- but other than that just hoping to hear back soon.

Good luck to everyone else applying! :) 

welcome! now you can be nervously waiting with us :) 

If you don't mind me asking, what factors do you think led to you not getting in where you wanted the first time around? and what changed? just curious because I'm a first time applier and I definitely have many moments of "wtf were you thinking, there's no way you'll get in". So then I think about what to do differently if I have to reapply. 

(and then I have good days, too, where I imagine my grad school life in various states) 

23 hours ago, vonham said:

welcome! now you can be nervously waiting with us :) 

If you don't mind me asking, what factors do you think led to you not getting in where you wanted the first time around? and what changed? just curious because I'm a first time applier and I definitely have many moments of "wtf were you thinking, there's no way you'll get in". So then I think about what to do differently if I have to reapply. 

(and then I have good days, too, where I imagine my grad school life in various states) 

Thanks! I totally identify with those wtf moments

A lot has changed since the last time I applied. In terms of my qualifications, the last time I applied I was still finishing my undergraduate so now I have a degree, an honors thesis and more research experience than last time around. In terms of my applications, I definitely learned a lot last time around and did more thorough research to find better fit programs/POIs. I also ended up contacting a few POIs by email this time. Hopefully it's enough!

On 1/12/2016 at 2:36 PM, Iwanttogotothere said:

I've been nervously waiting to hear back from schools and stumbled across this forum. This is my second time applying so hope it works out this round. I'm still finishing up my Toronto SOP- cutting it in half to fit the 1 page rec.- but other than that just hoping to hear back soon.

Are you applying for U of T's MA program or the PhD one?

12 hours ago, zahraamir said:

Someone has gotten interview request from NYU, if you read this thread, Can you tell us what's your area of interest? and PM me your POI, please?

Hi that would be me. My subfield is phonology.

Hello everyone,

This is probably quite silly, but when they say skype interview do they mean video interview or skype with the video off?

I would've thought video made sense if it's with multiple people you've never met/talked to, but my friend who once made the 'mistake' of assuming skype meant video has now confused me haha.

3 hours ago, embeddedV2 said:

Hello everyone,

This is probably quite silly, but when they say skype interview do they mean video interview or skype with the video off?

I would've thought video made sense if it's with multiple people you've never met/talked to, but my friend who once made the 'mistake' of assuming skype meant video has now confused me haha.

I've only had one (with McGill) when I was applying last year, but it was with video. It'd be safe to assume that it'd be with video so that you will have a webcam prepared and all (if it's not built into your laptop). 

So...I'm wondering. 

For those schools that do interviews in late January (NYU, UPenn, Austin, etc.) does anyone know if they interview all of their shortlisted candidates? As in, anyone who doesn't get an interview is probably not in the running? I'm sure it varies by school, I'm just wondering if I should start letting myself down easy haha

1 hour ago, Iwanttogotothere said:

So...I'm wondering. 

For those schools that do interviews in late January (NYU, UPenn, Austin, etc.) does anyone know if they interview all of their shortlisted candidates? As in, anyone who doesn't get an interview is probably not in the running? I'm sure it varies by school, I'm just wondering if I should start letting myself down easy haha

I think at least for NYU, if you look at the 2015 thread, you have to be interviewed to get further. But apparently different subfields have very different timetables for this (as long as they finish interviewing before the faculty meeting), so I guess no need to panic yet!

By the way I just had my interview with three faculty members at NYU. They told me they're aiming for 6 new students this year and the results would be out around early-mid February. Well, fingers crossed...

Edited by Sora