Fall 2016 Application

Nicholassss

1 hour ago, Spud N Sudz said:

I know that it seems that is what I was asking, but it is not. I actually know how to edit my signature. I am speaking of those members who have their schools listed in a signature where they are able to check off the outcome of each school decision. I believe they are color coded. I found it hard to believe that they were going through the trouble of color-coding themselves. I also noticed that many members have a similar signature; thus, it must not be a simple signature.

I think you underestimate people's capacity to spend time on meaningless chores such as color-coding the schools in their signatures. I do believe people do this themselves. 

Some information about Delaware.

I am told by my POI that all shortlisted people are interviewed one /two times this year.

About 20 people are interviewed. They plan to accept about 4-5 students this year. Stipend guaranteed is about 18k, and potentially 4k of summer stipend as extra (not guaranteed yet because they are on the way to get approval from the Dean).

Results are expected to come out next week. Good luck everyone!

I'm curious about the interview process in general. On the results page, several individuals have mentioned that their rejections were expected because they did not receive an invitation to interview.

In a previous application cycle a few years ago, I was waitlisted without an interview at an institution that someone else had previously reported interviewing for.

Based on what I've observed on the results page, it seems that interviews have become more common since then, so I'm wondering if the situation I was in several years ago still occurs.

This year, has anyone received an acceptance or spot on a waitlist with no interview? More interestingly, has anyone received a waitlist/acceptance decision with no interview from an institution that other people have reported interviewing with?

If not, it seems that they might as well just send out rejections with or immediately following the interview notifications, though I do understand wanting to keep a backup pool of applicants open in case.

Edited by corpuscallosum
typo

1 hour ago, corpuscallosum said:

I'm curious about the interview process in general. On the results page, several individuals have mentioned that their rejections were expected because they did not receive an invitation to interview.

In a previous application cycle a few years ago, I was waitlisted without an interview at an institution that someone else had previously reported interviewing for.

Based on what I've observed on the results page, it seems that interviews have become more common since then, so I'm wondering if the situation I was in several years ago still occurs.

This year, has anyone received an acceptance or spot on a waitlist with no interview? More interestingly, has anyone received a waitlist/acceptance decision with no interview from an institution that other people have reported interviewing with?

If not, it seems that they might as well just send out rejections with or immediately following the interview notifications, though I do understand wanting to keep a backup pool of applicants open in case.

I got an unofficial acceptance letter with no interview from Georgetown (Sociolinguistics specialization) Dr. Schilling was the one who sent the email. After two weeks?, I received an official acceptance letter from the Graduate Dean. And today, I had a Skype meeting with Dr. Schiilling and Dr. Nycz and they said they just wanted to get to know me and my research interests more. The more we talked, the more I felt confident I would fit in perfectly. And they seemed very interested in my paper and my research interests. But..at the end of the meeting, I asked about a funding situation because I am currently being considered for a Departmental Assistantship Award, including tuition, stipend, and health insurance, and this decision will be made sometime in March. Dr. Schilling said they wanted to bring all the students that they are interested, but they have limited funding..so I am suddenly very worried about that.. I sort of assumed that I will receive the full-funding package because they were reaching out to me and considering me early (I got my acceptance letter on Feb 11th. So, I thought this is a good sign..)

• 3 weeks later...
On March 2, 2016 at 1:11 PM, sociolinggeek said:

I got an unofficial acceptance letter with no interview from Georgetown (Sociolinguistics specialization) Dr. Schilling was the one who sent the email. After two weeks?, I received an official acceptance letter from the Graduate Dean. And today, I had a Skype meeting with Dr. Schiilling and Dr. Nycz and they said they just wanted to get to know me and my research interests more. The more we talked, the more I felt confident I would fit in perfectly. And they seemed very interested in my paper and my research interests. But..at the end of the meeting, I asked about a funding situation because I am currently being considered for a Departmental Assistantship Award, including tuition, stipend, and health insurance, and this decision will be made sometime in March. Dr. Schilling said they wanted to bring all the students that they are interested, but they have limited funding..so I am suddenly very worried about that.. I sort of assumed that I will receive the full-funding package because they were reaching out to me and considering me early (I got my acceptance letter on Feb 11th. So, I thought this is a good sign..)

Hi:) Have you heard anything from them?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2016 at 4:36 PM, zahraamir said:

Has anyone heard anything about the wait-lists?

I was waitlisted by one of my top choices. They informed me about 3 weeks ago, and they might not be able to update on my status until the very last day (15th)...So, still waiting...

I think it varies. I was wait-listed at four programs. One of them offered admission last week; another told me today that they are not accepting anyone else; and regarding the last two, I haven't heard anything so far.

Btw, today I declined one of my acceptances, so maybe someone is accepted from the waiting list in the next few days.

I was accepted to two programs and was wait-listed at Georgetown. I just declined one of my acceptances.

Georgetown is my dream school but I haven't heard anything yet :( Apr 15th is coming so fast so I feel very nervous...

Declined three offers yesterday, afaik all three have waitlists so hopefully this will have freed up a spot for someone who wants it.

Good luck to those still waiting, not much longer to go :)